inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weren't '90s music videos a lot more interesting?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/02/08 at 7:54 pm

A lot of the '90s music videos I've seen they seem so much interesting than the videos today (which usually involve dancing in the club or something along those lines), I don't know like a lot of '90s music videos were really out there kinda and different (a number I've seen anyway). A few examples would be some of the Smashing Pumpkins videos, the video for "Black Hole Sun", and "Stupid Girl" and "Push It" by Garbage. Anyone else notice how the '90s really had some wacky, but cool and different music videos?

Subject: Re: Weren't '90s music videos a lot more interesting?

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/08 at 9:09 pm

I think they were much better in the 90s. Now, when you do see a video, it's like you said "dancing in the club or something along those lines" or a band performance (just shots of the band or artist playing the song).

"Black Hole Sun" was great, as was "Freak On A Leash". Too many great videos to mention.

The 80s and 90s were much better with videos than the last 7 years have been (I haven't seen any 2008 videos yet).

I can think of only a handful of 2000s videos that were interesting (or played enough) to be memorable.  If anyone has any suggestions on those, I'm all eyes.

Ant

Written By: woops on 03/02/08 at 10:34 pm

There's a very few imaginative videos in this decade like White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl", the campy "Stacy's Mom" from Fountains of Wayne, and even Fergie's "Clumsy" (with the pop up book), but aren't looked as an artform or entertainment since the novelty wore off sometime ago. Not to mention MTV hardly ever airs them.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/08 at 10:01 pm

Overall, I would say music videos were much more interesting in the '80s and '90s. Even some of the more offbeat songs like the one's for "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Counting Blue Cars" are much better than any that have come out in at least the past 5 years.

As time has passed, video's have gotten progressively worse, in my opinion, because the emphasis on them has been taken away over the last few years. There were still quite a few good MV's in the early '00s, but now that there really more of a Youtube afterthought since MTV and the other music channels rarely show them, the quality has really gone down.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/04/08 at 7:17 pm

I really believe there were many music videos in the 90's that were creative and imaginative. I was watching an old videotape with a lot of 90's (and even some 80's) music videos I recorded in the mid-90's, and it brought back fond memories of what used to be.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/08 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, even though I never was as much a fan of that period's videos as much as the "early MTV generation" (which went up to about 1992 in a way), they were pretty cool. What separated them from those conceptual/fun and cheesy Eighties ones was that they tended to be more stripped down, basic and darker, but still with some kind of storyline.

Like "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette", any Green Day, "I Swear" by All For One and "1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins were good. I love those songs too.

Written By: midnite on 03/08/08 at 1:12 am

Do they still put music videos out?  I havent seen one in years since MTV and VH1 stopped playing music videos.  LOL.

Seriously, I agree the 90s videos were better than current videos (i think).  And the 80s videos were better than the 90s.

Written By: drainyou on 03/08/08 at 8:23 pm

i think the reason, other than being creative, that music videos were better is because noone was doing them then.

for example smells like teen spirit, there were videos with that concept, but it was. now all the bands are doing it.

i like the 90s videos more. i dont know, theres just something honest about them as opposed to now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/08 at 12:43 am

'80s videos were creative, '90s were simpler and stripped down, '00s videos are like the cheesiness of the former with the feel of the latter, just lazier and not nearly as good as either individual ingredient. ;D

Written By: Davester on 03/09/08 at 7:22 am

My all time favorite music vid is from the 90s which I first watched in the 00s on VH1 Classic...

"A Small Victory" by Faith No More.  Excellent vid, but I'm not sure why.  The vid appears to be some kind of WWI/Madame Butterfly/metal concoction that is very powerful, visually, and compliments the heck out of the song.  It's an anti-war song, BTW...

Written By: Davester on 03/09/08 at 7:36 am

'80s videos were creative, '90s were simpler and stripped down, '00s videos are like the cheesiness of the former with the feel of the latter, just lazier and not nearly as good as either individual ingredient. ;D

Ever watched Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" vid?  Gads, that creative vid was monkey poop, but oh so very 80s...

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/09/08 at 2:46 pm

i like the way video it was good and bittersweet sypohney*sp video was good also but my favorite is one week by the barenaked ladies

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/12/08 at 2:07 am

I think they were, too. Many of today's videos are very glossy and try way too hard. It's so hard to reattempt something like "Thriller" or some above mentioned, such as "Black Hole Sun" (all those melting people/creepy people - my brother and I use to say some of them looked like our family members, in a distorted way, lol), "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, etc. I think because the medium was still being explored through the '90s, that they still felt authentic. Now they're really a thing of the past - and even the VMA's can't really be taken seriously enough with what's put out today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/15/08 at 4:33 pm

^ Yeah, I'd say they were the time inbetween concept videos and cameraphone looking videos! Like about 1993 to 2001, generally darker and a little more stripped down compared to the early MTV generation, but still with alot of thought and more to keep people interested. I really think with the decline of interest in music in general (for the mainstream) they don't bother putting as much money or effort into videos.

Check for new replies or respond here...