inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 15th Anniversary of the 'Storm Of The Century'

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/08 at 7:18 pm

On March 12 and 13, 1993 most of the east coast was hit by a huge 'Superstorm' that stretched all the way from Canada to Central America. It caused snowfall to accumulate as high as 60 inches in the north, and also casued snowfall as far south as Florida. The impact was much greater on the south than the north, since northern states experience more snowfall, they were naturally more perpared for its effects. It actually caused some cities in the south to shut down for as long as two days.

Even though I was pretty young at the time, I still remember this very vividly. For many of us that live down south, it's been one of the only times we have actually seen a significant snowfall. I remember that it started on a Friday, and the power was out the next day, and for some time afterwards. The effects even carried over into the next week, causing school to be canceled the next Monday.

Does anybody else remember this?

Subject: Re: 15th Anniversary of the 'Storm Of The Century'

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/08 at 9:49 pm

I remember Ice Storm '98, but I don't seem to recall this one.  Of course we get alot of snow in Canada dring the winter, so it's hard to recall what is a storm and what isn't lol

Written By: Brian06 on 03/13/08 at 9:52 pm

I remember Ice Storm '98, but I don't seem to recall this one.  Of course we get alot of snow in Canada dring the winter, so it's hard to recall what is a storm and what isn't lol

Very true around here too, we get like a blizzard or 2 every winter.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/13/08 at 10:09 pm

I remember that storm when it here in North Carolina; yet I was only 3. It truly was a Super Storm. :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/08 at 12:41 am

Yeah, It probably wouldn't be quite as memorable to somebody living up north. It was pretty memorable around here though, in fact it's only really snowed significantly here 3 times since 1978.

I remember that storm when it here in North Carolina; yet I was only 3. It truly was a Super Storm. :o

Yeah, I was only about 6 at the time myself and I remember it really well. Ironically, the one thing I remember best about the whole thing was being upset because the power was out and I didn't get to watch cartoons that Saturday morning :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/08 at 6:16 pm

I remember that storm very well. For one thing, it was on one of my best friends' birthday.

I was sick-I had a nasty cold that wouldn't let go-for WEEKS!!!. I was so tired of it that I was willing to try something-Brandy. I was at my boyfriend's-at that time apartment which was across the street from my own. We were doing shots of brandy and getting (well, at least I was) drunk off my @$$. We kept looking out the window and every now and again we would see some idiot who was actually out in the storm-and of course they were skidding all over the place-but that was about it. But, what really caught our interest was the light in the parking lot of my apartment complex. One time we looked out the window and the light was on. The next time we looked out, it was off and it went on like that all night. It wasn't until the next day, I found out why. We knew the people who lived in the apartment facing the light. They told us that the light would reflect off the snow and hit the sensor. The sensor thought it was daylight and turn the light out. But then it was dark so the sensor kicked on the light-only to have the light reflect, etc. etc. 

Oh, btw, the brandy worked. I couldn't smell/taste the first shot. By the time we got down to the bottom of the bottle, I could smell it and taste it-and I drank plenty of water in between shots so I didn't have a hangover the next day-which was good because I had a lot of shoveling to do. (Just a path from my door to the stairs-but I had to walk through that area to get to my door to get the shovel. And the snow came up to my waist-NO JOKE!!!  :o :o :o  :-\\ )

And my state was the only one who was hit that did NOT call for a state of emergency. And everyone I talked to about what they were doing during it-they all said the same thing, "Oh, I had a lot of fun."  We know to stay put and just ride it out.

Cat

Written By: Midas on 03/20/08 at 5:27 pm

I was living in SC but went up to NC for that weekend.  I had to stay up there an extra day or something as the roads weren't under the best driving conditions.

I thought something major happened on the west coast right around that same time (earthquake?) but I could be wrong.

Written By: gmann on 03/22/08 at 10:00 pm

This storm may not have been nearly as bad as the Blizzard of '78 or other calamities of old, but I certainly recall it. There was about three feet of snow that drifted into our driveway and against our garage door. I had to spend most of the day helping my dad clear it away, but it seemed like a futile struggle as the snow kept falling. What struck me funny at the time was how the weather forecasters referred to it as the "Storm of the Century", but I didn't get a day off of school since the worst of it hit northeast Ohio on Saturday afternoon.

The storm probably stands out in my memory because, while I live in Ohio, I don't live in the snow belt region. Growing up, it always seemed that the worst of the winter weather hit along the Lake Erie shoreline. We certainly got our share of snow, but nowhere near what was seen elsewhere.

Written By: 1993 on 03/24/08 at 10:35 pm

I do remember this storm well, we got about 2 feet of snow in northern new jersey. schools closed for 2 days

Blizzard of 96 was worse though, close to 3 feet of snow for us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/08 at 9:11 pm

On March 12 and 13, 1993 most of the east coast was hit by a huge 'Superstorm' that stretched all the way from Canada to Central America. It caused snowfall to accumulate as high as 60 inches in the north, and also casued snowfall as far south as Florida. The impact was much greater on the south than the north, since northern states experience more snowfall, they were naturally more perpared for its effects. It actually caused some cities in the south to shut down for as long as two days.

Even though I was pretty young at the time, I still remember this very vividly. For many of us that live down south, it's been one of the only times we have actually seen a significant snowfall. I remember that it started on a Friday, and the power was out the next day, and for some time afterwards. The effects even carried over into the next week, causing school to be canceled the next Monday.

Does anybody else remember this?

I remember it quite well.  It was a big storm, but it wasn't some kind of meteorological armageddon like the TV presenters were making it out to be.  I wanted to drive out to UMass and see my girlfriend.  They didn't close the Mass Pike, just the tolls.  I was horny, but I wasn't crazy, I just stayed in my cell-like dorm room and waited for the "Blizzard of '93" to pass!
:-[

Check for new replies or respond here...