inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 6:35 pm

I love most of Mariah's early-mid '90s pop songs, but I totally forgot about this one until I listened to her Number 1's collection the other day. I love it, this is probably the closest she ever got to hip hop (well, it is a duet with ODB), but it's in a really dancey style. Even though it's from 1995 it almost sounds like a current '80s influenced pop song! It's kind of ahead of AND behind its time, lol.

Subject: Re: "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/08 at 7:14 pm

This is one of the few Mariah songs that I really really liked, but only because it's built around a heavy sample from that 1981 classic 'genius of Love' by Tom Tom Club, a song that I've always loved

Some trivia:  The following year, British singer Mark Morrison also sampled 'Genius of Love' for his smash hit 'Return of the Mack'

Written By: woops on 04/05/08 at 8:07 pm

It's OK, though I like "Honey" and her remake of "Without You" better.

Written By: audkal on 04/05/08 at 8:53 pm

I like Fantasy a lot, but Always Be My Baby is probably my favorite. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 8:58 pm

I agree..I like "Always Be My Baby". I also really like "Someday".

Written By: midnite on 04/06/08 at 5:47 pm

My favorite off of 1995's "Daydream" album is track 10, "Forever."

Fantasy is a fun song.  I like her version of "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life." Its a little funkier than "Fantasy."  Of course it is not as good as the original version from Indeep.  I also like Cherrelle's version of "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" more than Mariah's as well.

Written By: Midas on 04/08/08 at 1:36 pm

This is one of the few Mariah songs that I really really liked, but only because it's built around a heavy sample from that 1981 classic 'genius of Love' by Tom Tom Club, a song that I've always loved

That would make sense as to why it sounds like 80's influenced pop.  It's basically an 80's pop song with different lyrics. :)

I bought the 2x12" single when it came out in '95.  It got a lot of play in the clubs I worked and ventured to.  Oddly enough "Genius Of Love" had a great following and a lot of play on retro nights where I lived well before "Fantasy" was released. :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/08/08 at 8:38 pm

"Fantasy" was a fun, happy song I enjoyed very much.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 04/08/08 at 9:40 pm

Her Daydream album was fantastic! I remember all the clubs playing Fantasy at my first year at Uni.

Midnite - I agree with "Forever" too - such a sweet song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbNn2qGkfw

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/10/08 at 5:46 pm

IMO "Someday" and "Dreamlover" are her only songs that sound Eighties, which is kinda surprising considering she came out in only 1990. I think she paved the way for alot of diva and AC type music, as well as dance for the '90s...so most of those songs were a little ahead of their time.

Fantasy is just unique all around. It sounds like a modern dance/rap song influenced by the '80s! I don't know that "Genius of Love" song (I have heard it a couple times, but it's not really something I was ever into) so I can't comment on that by comparison.

Written By: tv on 04/13/08 at 11:50 am

My favorite off of 1995's "Daydream" album is track 10, "Forever."

Fantasy is a fun song.  I like her version of "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life." Its a little funkier than "Fantasy."  Of course it is not as good as the original version from Indeep.  I also like Cherrelle's version of "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" more than Mariah's as well.

Robert Palmer did a cover of Cherelle's "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" as well.

Written By: midnite on 04/17/08 at 12:14 am

Yes, Robert Palmers version is great and more popular.  The Cherrelle version is good as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/17/08 at 9:06 pm

Yes, Robert Palmers version is great and more popular.  The Cherrelle version is good as well.

Popular, depending on who you are talking to. Cherrelle's, the original, is definitely more well-known overall, to both pop, R&B, and club audiences.

Written By: midnite on 04/19/08 at 3:44 pm

Popular, depending on who you are talking to. Cherrelle's, the original, is definitely more well-known overall, to both pop, R&B, and club audiences.

Hold on sister.  By more popular I meant that Robert Palmer's version went to #2 on the U.S. mainstream charts in 1986.  It also went to #3 in the UK.  Cherrelle's (original) version went to #8 on the R&B (not mainstream) charts in 1984.  Generally, I think Robert Palmer's version is more well-known.  Though I prefer the Cherrelle version myself.

Cherrelle's version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8luxaT0JRs

Robert Palmer's version (with famous backup video dancers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2hoO088lc

Who's version does everyone prefer?

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/08 at 8:11 pm

^ In the mainstream, Palmer's was more well-known yes.  In the clubs though, it was Cherelle who stole the show.  I grew up with Palmer's version and it wasn't until many years later that I found out it was a cover

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/08 at 9:46 pm

^ In the mainstream, Palmer's was more well-known yes.  In the clubs though, it was Cherelle who stole the show.  I grew up with Palmer's version and it wasn't until many years later that I found out it was a cover

I grew up with both,  :D and you're referring to life in Canada, right? Much different here in the USA.

Written By: tv on 04/20/08 at 3:11 pm

.  I grew up with Palmer's version and it wasn't until many years later that I found out it was a cover
Yeah I know because like I heard the Palmer version but the original Cherelle version I didn't hear until maybe last year or this year. When I heard the Cherelle version I asked myself who's covering who's song? I figured out that Cherelle had the original version while Palmer's was a cover version of the same song.

Yeah I think Palmer's version is more well known.

Written By: nally on 07/07/08 at 3:50 pm

yes,... when "Fantasy" came out, I was quite fond of it. "Always Be My Baby" was the next solo single of hers, which I also kinda liked when it was popular. :) Anytime I hear it on the radio now, listening to it brings back some memories of my life in spring 1996, when I was finishing up my 10th grade year.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/07/08 at 3:56 pm

Not a huge fan of Mariah...not of her music anyway  ;)

Written By: 90steen on 08/31/08 at 11:56 pm

How could I forget fantasy? It was sooo overplayed.
What I remember most about it is my sister singing it.

"oh when you walk by every night... talkin sweet and lookin fine, I get kind of hectic inside. Ohh baby I'm so into you... etc..."

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/08 at 7:56 pm

Cause it's a sweet sweet Fantasy baby! I love the song, even though I'm a guy. I don't like most of Mariah's music though, but this song is classic! In the video the style, and everything about it is pure 90's. Oh, and Mariah is hot in the video too!

Written By: 90steen on 09/20/08 at 9:15 pm

Cause it's a sweet sweet Fantasy baby! I love the song, even though I'm a guy. I don't like most of Mariah's music though, but this song is classic! In the video the style, and everything about it is pure 90's. Oh, and Mariah is hot in the video too!

I vaguely remember the video, since I haven't seen it since like 1997.

Wasn't she riding on a wooden roller coaster?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/21/08 at 3:36 pm

Fantasy is definitely my favorite song from Mariah! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...