inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Radicals "You Get What You Give"

Written By: woops on 04/08/08 at 5:16 pm

Does anybody remember the song "You Get What You Give" from New Radicals, a one hit wonder from 1998? 8)

It's one of the best songs from the year and I think one of the band members was a child actress from "All In The Family" (didn't know they had kid actors on that show) and now writes songs for artists like Kelly Clarkson & the lovely Natasha Bedingfield. Danielle Brisboiuse (sp) I think.

Subject: Re: New Radicals "You Get What You Give"

Written By: Brian06 on 04/08/08 at 5:27 pm

Yeah I love this song. Danielle Brisebois played Edith's little niece I believe that they took in because her father was a drunk and couldn't take care of her during the last season of the show (I think I've probably seen every episode of All In The Family...all of the ones that they used to show on Nick at Nite at least) and continued on the retitled Archie's Bunker's Place (which I haven't seen much of).

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/08 at 7:56 pm

Danielle Brisebois joined the cast of All in the Family in 1978 and stayed with the show through it's name change to Archie Bunker's Place until it's end in 1983

I liked this song, but you know what's weird?  The song wasn't as big of a hit in North America as you might think

It topped the chart in New Zealand, reached #5 in the UK and #13 in Australia.  In America, it barely broke the Top 40, peaking at #36, and in Canada it peaked at #28

A follow-up single Someday We'll Know reached #48 in the UK

Written By: midnite on 04/08/08 at 10:58 pm

I actually enjoyed and still enjoy the whole entire "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" CD that contains:

You Get What You Give
Someday We'll Know
Mother, We Just Can't Get Enough

I had no idea that one of the band members was an actress.

Written By: nally on 04/08/08 at 11:26 pm

Does anybody remember the song "You Get What You Give" from New Radicals, a one hit wonder from 1998? 8)

It's one of the best songs from the year and I think one of the band members was a child actress from "All In The Family" (didn't know they had kid actors on that show) and now writes songs for artists like Kelly Clarkson & the lovely Natasha Bedingfield. Danielle Brisboiuse (sp) I think.

That's strange...I thought all the band members were guys. At least the lead vocalist was male.

Yes, I do remember this record, from late 1998/early 1999. It may not have reached a high position on the charts, but it did get lots of radio airplay, especially in CA.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/08 at 12:33 am

I can't tell you how much I LOVE this song. I still listen to it all the time, and when it came out...it was one of my favorites! :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/09/08 at 8:19 am

I love this song!  Any tune that mentions kicking your ass in is for me  ;D

Written By: tv on 04/09/08 at 8:29 pm

I didn't even think much about this song when it was hit in early 1999 but now it sounds good all these years later.

Written By: Davester on 04/10/08 at 1:29 am

Pretty decent song...

Written By: mandamoo on 04/11/08 at 5:56 am

Good song. It was used in an ad here - for a car, I think. Very catchy !

Written By: SpaceHog on 04/15/08 at 11:25 pm

The new radicals was a one man band.

Written By: nally on 07/08/17 at 5:10 pm

The new radicals was a one man band.

According to Wiki...

The group had a "revolving door policy", meaning there were no constant members other than lead singer-instrumentalist Gregg Alexander. Sure, he had other members play on the recordings, but he was the only permanent one.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Radicals

Written By: Fearsword on 07/10/17 at 8:45 am

Until recently, I thought it was an 80s song

Written By: nally on 07/10/17 at 10:31 am

^ Well, certain songs do tend to sound like they came from an earlier time period. This one is from late 1998/early 1999. (For me, that's half my life ago!)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/19/17 at 12:52 am

Wow, this song makes me so nostalgic for when I was really little. It used to play all the time here even on tv advertisements and reached no.1 here. ;D. Itwas one of the first songs I remember liking

Written By: aja675 on 07/19/17 at 1:20 am

Wow, this song makes me so nostalgic for when I was really little. It used to play all the time here even on tv advertisements and reached no.1 here. ;D. Itwas one of the first songs I remember liking
So you're either Canadian or Kiwi?

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/19/17 at 5:38 am

So you're either Canadian or Kiwi?

Kiwi :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/19/17 at 6:51 am

So you're from across the ditch, eh? :P I'm Australian, in case you were wondering.

Written By: aja675 on 07/20/17 at 2:16 am

49A1QEHQ6fo This cover of a New Radicals song (and to a lesser extent, the original song), is still so popular in my country.

Written By: aja675 on 07/21/17 at 10:45 am

49A1QEHQ6fo This cover of a New Radicals song (and to a lesser extent, the original song), is still so popular in my country.
And Mandy Moore's slower songs in general.

Written By: aja675 on 07/22/17 at 7:54 am

I know of someone who lives in New Zealand: she's some woman whom my grandma used to babysit when she was a maid in Hong Kong, and because her dad didn't like the polluted air in Hong Kong, they settled in New Zealand.

Check for new replies or respond here...