inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need help identifying this song from a VH1 show

Written By: luiscurse on 04/18/08 at 5:45 am

Everytime I watch I Love The 90's Part Deux, I always hear this one song, well actually this one guitar lick, and I want to know from what song it comes from, it is heard in various segments throughout the shows, but one example that I know for sure it can be heard is in the 1994 episode,at the begining of "The Priscilla Queen of the Desert" segment, the guitar lick sounds like tropical or psychedelic, it is unmistakeable for sure...please help, greatly appreciate it!!! :) 

Subject: Re: I need help identifying this song from a VH1 show

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 6:17 am

Can this part of the programme be seen online, like YouTube?

Written By: luiscurse on 04/18/08 at 6:31 am

Unfortunately not...blame it on Viacom, they're currently in dispute with youtube
I guess I'll have to wait to record that portion of the program, next time it comes out :-\\
thanks for the help,
hopefully someone can provide the answer. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 6:32 am

Unfortunately not...blame it on Viacom, they're currently in dispute with youtube
I guess I'll have to wait to record that portion of the program, next time it comes out :-\\
thanks for the help,
hopefully someone can provide the answer. :)
If you do hear the song elsewhere you will still in from us?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/18/08 at 9:45 am

Maybe this perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYerwwTV5qc

If not, cool song anyway. That song is from 1995 though...

Ant

Written By: luiscurse on 04/18/08 at 3:55 pm

If you do hear the song elsewhere you will still in from us?

Will do. :)

Maybe this perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYerwwTV5qc

If not, cool song anyway. That song is from 1995 though...

Ant

Nope, it wasn't that one...cool song though, oh and just because I stated that it was in the 1994 episode does not mean it was from that year, IDK really from what year it is, they just happend to play it at the start of a '94 segment.

Appreciate all the help. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 3:56 pm

Will do. :)

Nope, it wasn't that one...cool song though, oh and just because I stated that it was in the 1994 episode does not mean it was from that year, IDK really from what year it is, they just happend to play it at the start of a '94 segment.

Have you written to the production company that made the programme?

Written By: luiscurse on 04/18/08 at 4:08 pm

Have you written to the production company that made the programme?

great suggestion!

cause I've only gone to the VH1 website and their message boards....haven't gotten a single response :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 4:09 pm

great suggestion!

cause I've only gone to the VH1 website and their message boards....haven't gotten a single response :-[
That was something that was always in the days before the Internet, there was no option back then.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/18/08 at 8:08 pm

Thanks.

Another song that has had its intro guitar lick used a fair amount was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADqAIjORhA

Ant

Written By: luiscurse on 04/27/08 at 7:53 am

That was something that was always in the days before the Internet, there was no option back then.

yeah...then again, they haven't responded to me, so even the internet is not an option :(, I just have to wait, eventually they'll run the show again and thats when I'll snag a sound or video clip. :D

Written By: luiscurse on 04/27/08 at 7:55 am

Thanks.

Another song that has had its intro guitar lick used a fair amount was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADqAIjORhA

Ant

cool riff,cool song, but not the one I'm looking for. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/08 at 11:26 am

cool riff,cool song, but not the one I'm looking for. :)
Any more clues to the tune/song?

Written By: karen on 04/28/08 at 8:19 am

I looked on imdb.com and found this listing for some of the background/incidental music for 1994.  It's not a complete list, just what someone could recall.  Anyway with a bit of luck the song you want will be there.

Weezer - Sweater Song
Proclaimers - (the I would walk 500 miles song)
Crystal Waters - 100% Pure Love
C+C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now
? - Finally, it has happened to me
Queen - We are the Champions
Green Day - When I come Around
Pump up the Jams
Tom Petty - You DOn't know how it feels
? - Let me clear my throat

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 04/30/08 at 7:31 am

Luis, I can't say for absolutely sure, because although that episode is on my DVR, the DVR is currently out of service, but I will check for you as soon as I can get it hooked back up.  BUT... my theory, based on the way you describe the song, is that it MIGHT be "All Mixed Up" by 311.  The opening guitar riff on that song sounds kind of Hawaiian, kind of tropical.  Either that or "No Rain" by Blind Melon, but that's a fairly commonplace song which most people would know, so I'm guessing you might not be asking about that one.  Either way, try to locate copies or downloads of either of those two, and you might find what you're looking for.  :)

Written By: luiscurse on 05/02/08 at 10:09 pm

Any more clues to the tune/song?

Unfortunately no...I wish I could describe another segment or another year that it was played(cause it was played during many different episodes of Part Deux)

though I'm blank right now :-[

Written By: luiscurse on 05/02/08 at 10:12 pm

I looked on imdb.com and found this listing for some of the background/incidental music for 1994.  It's not a complete list, just what someone could recall.  Anyway with a bit of luck the song you want will be there.

Weezer - Sweater Song
Pump up the Jams
Tom Petty - You DOn't know how it feels

wow!...thanks for providing the list, unfortunately its not one of these
but still it's the thought that counts
so thanks!!! :)

Written By: luiscurse on 05/02/08 at 10:16 pm

Luis, I can't say for absolutely sure, because although that episode is on my DVR, the DVR is currently out of service, but I will check for you as soon as I can get it hooked back up.  BUT... my theory, based on the way you describe the song, is that it MIGHT be "All Mixed Up" by 311.  The opening guitar riff on that song sounds kind of Hawaiian, kind of tropical.  Either that or "No Rain" by Blind Melon, but that's a fairly commonplace song which most people would know, so I'm guessing you might not be asking about that one.  Either way, try to locate copies or downloads of either of those two, and you might find what you're looking for.   :)

yeah I knew it wasn't Blind Melon right off the get go, but I tried the 311 song...quite similar, but it's not the song

I still appreciate the help :)

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/03/08 at 6:34 am

OK.

Hooked my DVR back up, and I heard the song you're talking about.

And I didn't recognize it at all.

BUT... I listened to it a few more times and thought, well, it kind of sounds Spin Doctors-ish.  So I went to iTunes and looked up Spin Doctors...

The song is Called Jimmy Olsen's Blues.  :)

http://www.last.fm/music/Spin+Doctors/_/Jimmy+Olsen's+Blues

Written By: DAK78 on 05/04/08 at 11:29 pm

Seriously, if DJ Wonderbread got that right, you owe the man a small fortune.  That's the kind of stuff that can drive a man insane.

Written By: luiscurse on 05/05/08 at 12:41 am

Thanks DJ Wonderbread  :)

but I think you're right DAK78, I think the search for has made me a little bit loony  :D

cause it doesn't sound the same in a way, I think it's just my mind playing tricks on me

but Wonderbread (or anyone who has a copy of ILT90's The Part Deux 1994 Episode)

could you post a small sound clip or video clip of the guitar riff thats at the beginning of the Priscilla segment

if it's not too much trouble  :-[

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/05/08 at 7:03 pm

Thanks DJ Wonderbread  :)

but I think you're right DAK78, I think the search for has made me a little bit loony  :D

cause it doesn't sound the same in a way, I think it's just my mind playing tricks on me

but Wonderbread (or anyone who has a copy of ILT90's The Part Deux 1994 Episode)

could you post a small sound clip or video clip of the guitar riff thats at the beginning of the Priscilla segment

if it's not too much trouble  :-[

Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb3Vn7Bf3Yk

(Featuring the WORST compression artifacting in the history of video!  Sorry... I've never posted anything on Youtube before.  My first attempt at this one looked great, but didn't carry the audio for some reason.  :(  So this one has sound but looks like video salad.)

PS:  I know what you're saying, that it sounds kind of different.  I had to run that video clip and that link above of the song over and over for a bit before I was sure it was the right one.  It's almost like VH1 changed the key of the song, and I know they edited from the original intro into a bridge, so it's not the same arrangement as in the real song.  But I'm 100% certain it's the one.

Written By: luiscurse on 05/05/08 at 11:16 pm

Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb3Vn7Bf3Yk

(Featuring the WORST compression artifacting in the history of video!  Sorry... I've never posted anything on Youtube before.  My first attempt at this one looked great, but didn't carry the audio for some reason.  :(  So this one has sound but looks like video salad.)

PS:  I know what you're saying, that it sounds kind of different.  I had to run that video clip and that link above of the song over and over for a bit before I was sure it was the right one.  It's almost like VH1 changed the key of the song, and I know they edited from the original intro into a bridge, so it's not the same arrangement as in the real song.  But I'm 100% certain it's the one.

DJ Wonderbread

This is too awesome... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

yeah I think they changed the key on the notes or something

yup DAK is right I owe you a small fortune man!

I'll find a way to enjoy this, even if I have to loop the sound... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone for helping out and especially DJ Wonderbread

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/08 at 12:21 am

Weezer - Sweater Song
Pump up the Jams
Tom Petty - You Don't know how it feels

And for the benefit of anyone Googling this soundtrack and wanting to fill in the blanks -- that last track was by DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat.

Written By: nally on 05/06/08 at 12:24 am

And for the benefit of anyone Googling this soundtrack and wanting to fill in the blanks -- that last track was by DJ Kool - Let Me Clear My Throat.

And as for the first question mark, I wanna say the artist is CeCe Peniston. I know she had a song called "Finally" (from c. 1993) and she sings "Finally it's happened to me" in the chorus.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/06/08 at 8:28 pm

DJ Wonderbread

This is too awesome... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

yeah I think they changed the key on the notes or something

yup DAK is right I owe you a small fortune man!

I'll find a way to enjoy this, even if I have to loop the sound... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone for helping out and especially DJ Wonderbread

It's all good, my friend.  Just here to help.

Actually, although this one was the most involved instance, I have been on those VH1 I Love The 90's (and 80's) boards answering song questions like that one many times.  It's a fun skill to have and help people out. ;)

But if you want, next time you're in San Diego you can come to my bar and buy me a drink!  :)

Written By: luiscurse on 05/06/08 at 11:56 pm

It's all good, my friend.  Just here to help.

Actually, although this one was the most involved instance, I have been on those VH1 I Love The 90's (and 80's) boards answering song questions like that one many times.  It's a fun skill to have and help people out. ;)

But if you want, next time you're in San Diego you can come to my bar and buy me a drink!  :)

sure thing, I'll notify when the opportunity to go comes.

Check for new replies or respond here...