inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Trip Hop / Downtempo Group

Written By: midnite on 05/04/08 at 8:08 pm

For anyone who was/is interested in 90's trip hop, downtempo, or chillout music.  What was/is your favorite group?  You may choose up to three.  I am sure that I missed many groups, so please specify if you select "other." Thanks!

Subject: Re: Favorite Trip Hop / Downtempo Group

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/08 at 8:21 pm

Groove Armada, Air and Massive Attack

Groove Armada are my all-time favourites!

Written By: Brian06 on 05/04/08 at 8:24 pm

Massive Attack, Portishead, Air.

Written By: midnite on 05/04/08 at 8:30 pm

Groove Armada, Air and Massive Attack

Groove Armada are my all-time favourites!

I just dusted off my Norther Star CD.

Written By: midnite on 05/04/08 at 8:52 pm

Massive Attack, Portishead, Air.

Listening to Mezzanine, one of my favorite all-time CDs to listen to in the dark!

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/08 at 9:48 pm

I just dusted off my Norther Star CD.

I just polished off my 'Soundboy Rock' CD.  The songs and the album art make 'Soundboy Rock' their best yet

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/05/08 at 12:37 am

Good topic and thread. 8)

Massive Attack and Portishead will always get the nod when it comes to listing the best and most influential of the trip-hop/downtempo scene.

Tricky should be added somewhere on this list as well as Nightmares On Wax, and Morcheeba. Funki Porcini, DJ Shadow, DJ Cam, and Coldcut all had some strong influences on trip-hop/downtempo (and turntablism). Dare I say, going back to the Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique album, trip-hop has always had a strong presence and got a big boost in that decade.

Trip-hop is what I still believe to be one of the most overlooked/underrated and best genres that developed and emerged in the 90's...

But I'd have to wonder, I can't see any part of "Stereolab" being classified as trip-hop. Kinda French electro-spacey and the beats are there, but trip-hop?  ??? Don't think so...

BTW Basement Jaxx's last album "Crazy Itch Radio" is a great trip-hop album, (though the band wouldn't normally classified as a trip-hop band, give it a listen).

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 7:31 am

BTW Basement Jaxx's last album "Crazy Itch Radio" is a great trip-hop album, (though the band wouldn't normally classified as a trip-hop band, give it a listen).

Indeed! 8)  I loved 'Take Me Back to Your House'

Written By: Haman on 05/05/08 at 7:38 am

I voted for Portishead.

Written By: KKay on 05/05/08 at 9:18 am

I live for Stereolab....

but Zero 7 and massive attack are up there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/05/08 at 7:31 pm

Massive Attack and Groove Armada!

Air still takes some getting used to for me.

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 8:34 pm

Massive Attack and Groove Armada!

Air still takes some getting used to for me.

Air is an acquired taste. I would recommend listening to their albums in order.  Premiers Symptomes then Moon Safari then perhaps Virgin Suicides Soundtrack and skip to Talkie Walkie.  Just my opinion.

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 8:35 pm

I live for Stereolab....

but Zero 7 and massive attack are up there.

Stereolab are freakin' awesome aren't they.

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 8:38 pm

Good topic and thread. 8)

Massive Attack and Portishead will always get the nod when it comes to listing the best and most influential of the trip-hop/downtempo scene.

Tricky should be added somewhere on this list as well as Nightmares On Wax, and Morcheeba. Funki Porcini, DJ Shadow, DJ Cam, and Coldcut all had some strong influences on trip-hop/downtempo (and turntablism). Dare I say, going back to the Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique album, trip-hop has always had a strong presence and got a big boost in that decade.

Trip-hop is what I still believe to be one of the most overlooked/underrated and best genres that developed and emerged in the 90's...

But I'd have to wonder, I can't see any part of "Stereolab" being classified as trip-hop. Kinda French electro-spacey and the beats are there, but trip-hop?  ??? Don't think so...

Good points.  I was contemplating adding Nightmares on Wax and DJ Shadow.  I loved Morcheeba's CD with "The Sea" on it.  That is why I added "other please specify."  I was hoping people (like you) would add comments and discuss the other good trip-hop groups.  I just threw Stereolab in there because I love them.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 05/05/08 at 10:03 pm

Trip hop and the general chillout genre is a little too dark and atmospheric for me. I prefer my 100+ bpms.  :)

I did vote Groove Armada for their more upbeat numbers though.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/06/08 at 12:43 am

Good points.  I was contemplating adding Nightmares on Wax and DJ Shadow.  I loved Morcheeba's CD with "The Sea" on it.  That is why I added "other please specify."  I was hoping people (like you) would add comments and discuss the other good trip-hop groups.  I just threw Stereolab in there because I love them.  :)

I understand completely.

One of the biggest downsides to trip-hop and "downtempo" is the dearth of one play (notice I didn't say "hit") wonders that clog the trip hop streams on line and elsewhere. Too many too count and many just too many sound the same.

Thats why there isn't really too many core bands of the genre. Massive Attack and Portishead are pretty much the lead, some followers or contributors Tricky, Groove Armada, Hooverphonic & Lamb . One shot projects like "Weekend Players" and Zero 7, some great experimental stuff from DJ Shadow and Funki Porcini. Kruder & Dorfmeister and their type...and then there is a lot of warmed up acid-jazz leftovers from the 80's that are just stinking up the place.

As for Stereolab, don't get me wrong I really like Stereolab, but put a definative Trip Hop album, say Massive Attacks "Blue Lines" beside "Empeor Tomato Ketchup" by Stereolab (one of my favorites), and while they both have that rythym we both like, I can't really say that Stereolab has that well, um "soul" to it. Its a bit "cold" (on purpose of course, thats their style). While trip-hop, has a darker, grittier feel to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...