inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best grunge/alternative bands

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/07/08 at 2:17 pm

It's tough for me, but Alice in Chains is just too unique and just fudgeing good to not get my vote  ;D

Subject: Re: Best grunge/alternative bands

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 3:14 pm

The Smashing Pumpkins

Also REM, Nirvana, and Green Day

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/07/08 at 3:39 pm

This is a very weird list.  I don't know why REM is even on it.

Anyhow, while I do love Nirvana (and other bands on this list), I chose Soundgarden.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/07/08 at 3:57 pm

This is a very weird list.  I don't know why REM is even on it.

REM was one of the first alt rock bands, is it weird because they were pretty well known in the 80's too?  ???

I'll admit that a lot of these bands have little in common, but they all fall under the umbrella of alternative.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/07/08 at 6:28 pm

Weird list, considering that some bands started in the 80s (REM). I selected Pearl Jam.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/07/08 at 7:10 pm

REM was one of the first alt rock bands, is it weird because they were pretty well known in the 80's too?   ???

I'll admit that a lot of these bands have little in common, but they all fall under the umbrella of alternative.
The term "alternative" encompases more than one decade.  REM encompases more than one decade.  The term "grunge" can really only be 90's (as a movement).

Maybe it would've better to do 2 separate polls.

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/08 at 7:13 pm

I can't choose because there is no other option

grunge/alternative was never my thing, but looking back, I sort of liked Our Lady Peace and Artificial Joy Club

Written By: Red Ant on 05/07/08 at 8:31 pm

Weird list, considering that some bands started in the 80s (REM). I selected Pearl Jam.

Really odd... Mother Love Bone was essentially pre-Pearl Jam and only released one CD, and Temple of The Dog (basically Chris Cornell w/ Pearl Jam) had one CD as well. Jane's Addiction did most of their work in the 80s, having only one commercially successful CD in the 90s with their 1990 release "Ritual de lo Habitual". They broke up the following year.

If we're including one album supergroups, Mad Season should have been on this list ("Above", 1995). Why not include Hole, STP or Faith No More?

I voted for Alice in Chains.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 05/07/08 at 9:04 pm

Nirvana plus Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/07/08 at 10:18 pm

Hard to pick, because I like pretty much everybody on this list, but I went with Soundgarden.

Written By: midnite on 05/07/08 at 11:25 pm

Of the ones on the list, I would say Nirvana for grunge and Smashing Pumpkins for alternative. 

I love 80s REM but not 90s REM so that disqualifies REM for me.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/08/08 at 5:34 pm

AIC and Soundgarden were probably the best grunge bands, though I love Nirvana and Pearl Jam as well. Where is RHCP?  :o They definitely should be on a list like this. I would also include Garbage as one of my favorite alternative rock bands from the '90s.

On this poll I'll vote Alice In Chains for the overall power and depth of their music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/08/08 at 5:57 pm

Have you noticed all the grunge and alternative bands had something distinguishing about them? That's what really sets the 1991-'98 rock apart from knockoff clowns like Nickelback now. ;D

I guess my favorite on that list is the Offspring. It's cool with them because they tend to have angry themes, but the feel of the music is funny and lighthearted.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/08/08 at 6:02 pm

Where is RHCP?

Oh nos I completely forgot about them...and I should have put Mad Season in too...oh well, I usually make these polls hastily anyway  :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/08/08 at 7:17 pm

Have you noticed all the grunge and alternative bands had something distinguishing about them? That's what really sets the 1991-'98 rock apart from knockoff clowns like Nickelback now. ;D

I guess my favorite on that list is the Offspring. It's cool with them because they tend to have angry themes, but the feel of the music is funny and lighthearted.

That is the exact reason I consider them pousers; sorry.  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/08 at 11:13 pm

Gotta go with Alice In Chains.

Layne Staley was perhaps the greatest rock vocalist of the last 25 years.

You know it's funny, but I think the Offspring are one of the weirdest bands ever. It seems that half of their songs I like so much that I crank up my radio and the other half I find so irritating that I have to change the station..

Written By: Red Ant on 05/11/08 at 11:27 pm

Gotta go with Alice In Chains.

Layne Staley was perhaps the greatest rock vocalist of the last 25 years.

Karma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnb5bCtJzFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG8afG2Eerc

Ant

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 2:22 am

Karma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnb5bCtJzFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG8afG2Eerc

Ant

Karma backatcha for the videos!  ;)

This one really does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0cK4gaEuM

(God I wish I could pull this one off on karaoke night.  ::))

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/12/08 at 3:17 am

Was the whole 'britpop' movement of the mid nineties not so popular in America? I may has asked this before, but my memmory is hazy. Seems almost every thread in the 1990s section about music refers to "grunge" & "alternative" as being the major dominant rock movements of the decade. I guess being from New Zealand, British bands quite often do well here, sometimes better than most American bands. For example, Blur & Oasis probably did just as well as the likes of Soundgarden and Nirvana.

Anyhow, I picked Soundgarden.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 2:03 pm

Karma backatcha for the videos!  ;)

This one really does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0cK4gaEuM

(God I wish I could pull this one off on karaoke night.  ::))

Down In A Hole is hard to pull off solo - Layne and Jerry are singing most of song together.

Man in the Box is one that I never could hit the high notes.

Was the whole 'britpop' movement of the mid nineties not so popular in America? I may has asked this before, but my memmory is hazy. Seems almost every thread in the 1990s section about music refers to "grunge" & "alternative" as being the major dominant rock movements of the decade. I guess being from New Zealand, British bands quite often do well here, sometimes better than most American bands. For example, Blur & Oasis probably did just as well as the likes of Soundgarden and Nirvana.

Anyhow, I picked Soundgarden.

Blur wasn't really big here when grunge was: "Song 2" made its climb up the charts after grunge was basically dead, and it's more punk than alternative or grunge IMO.

Oasis did good here, but came about a little too late to be considered first generation grunge/alternative.

Bush did the best of all with their debut album going 6x platinum in the US. Their later albums did poorly in comparison, partly because by the time they were released grunge/alternative was fading out, and partly because of the techno and electronica aspects incorporated into their music.

It's a shame Drain STH wasn't around in 1991/1992 - they would have been huge. Think Alice in Chains meets Black Sabbath with 4 smokin' hot women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHrVn-To7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7thNPgvU6M&feature=related

And a bit of rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkmmg64dREM&feature=related

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 2:07 pm

What no Wilson Philips!  :D

"Hooooooooo-OOO-oooooooo-OOO-oooooooold on for one more day!"

Wilson Phillips is probably the only band in history to have its debut CD go diamond (10 million copies sold) then basically implode and never be heard from again.

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/12/08 at 3:27 pm

"Hooooooooo-OOO-oooooooo-OOO-oooooooold on for one more day!"

Wilson Phillips is probably the only band in history to have its debut CD go diamond (10 million copies sold) then basically implode and never be heard from again.

Ant

Is that such a bad thing though, really? :D

Written By: Gis on 05/14/08 at 3:53 am

Not a huge fan of grunge as if nothing else it was the death knell of my beloved bubblegum rock.  ;D  Loved The Offspring and Nirvana though and Bush were awesome.

Written By: Temptation on 05/22/08 at 3:43 pm

Nirvana 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...