inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince, Live in Tokyo, 1990 Concert

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/07/08 at 7:17 pm

Hi Gang!

I know that some of you probably know that I like Prince (see the Apollonia siggy? LOL). My favorite Prince concert that I've seen so far is Prince, Live in Tokyo Japan during his 1990 Nude tour. I was wondering if anyone else saw it and if you liked it or not.  :)

Let me know what you think.  ;)

Subject: Re: Prince, Live in Tokyo, 1990 Concert

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/08/08 at 5:53 am

Hey, Appolonia!  Great name!  :)

I'm a big Prince fan, too.  I have to say my favorite Prince concert I've seen was at Irvine Meadows back in early 1997.  He was on tour promoting the Emancipation CD.  I remember I left my apartment at 4:30 in the morning to drive up to Irvine (about an hour away) just to wait in line to buy the tickets when they went on sale.

The concert was the first of his that I had gone to (the second one I saw him do was here in San Diego, at UCSD, and I think that one was in '98.  I'm kind of fuzzy on the details of that one.)  The crowd was substantial, and you could tell it was just about all people who were real fans, not just people who liked his hits.  He started singing "Girls and Boys" for just a bit when he was sitting at the piano, and people just LOST it.  Just the first few chords of Darling Nikki brought the house down.  He didn't even sing these songs all the way through - they were kind of all put together in a medley style - but it was all he needed to get the fans screaming.

I think I have the Tokyo concert you mentioned on a DVD.  I know I have his Lovesexy Concert from Germany on DVD, and I liked that pretty well.  I haven't really seen too many of the man's concerts taped, but of course the two classics are the Prince and the Revolution Live show from Syracuse in 1985, and the Sign O The Times concert movie from '87 (which I think is my favorite filmed Prince show.)

So anyway... there are my two cents.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/08/08 at 6:24 pm

Hi Dj Wonderbread--cool name too!

I love the Prince live in Tokyo DVD. I watched it and it totally changed me into a real fan of Prince. I love the whole bit of "The ? of U" it's great. I haven't seen Prince in concert yet--just on DVD--but I'd liek to go. You went to some great shows. You saw Prince during his Artist stage. I bet that was awesome. I wanna see Prince, but I just wonder if I'll faint before he even plays a note! LOL!

:)

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/08/08 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, his glorious "TAFKAP" phase (we used to call him 0(+> online.)

That era was a completely underrated time for him.  Before he ditched the core New Power Generation group in '96 (Sonny T, Michael B, Mr. Hayes, Tommy Barbarella and Mayte... oooohhh, Mayte,) they made some of the BEST music he had ever done in his lifetime.  And he's got QUITE a catalogue of music, mind you.  But that '93 to '96 stuff was just INCREDIBLE.  The Gold Experience album from '95 went on to have the dubious distinction of being a collectible failure, in that it sold very poorly in stores (reports claimed Warners Had to pay to have 250,000 copies shipped back to them from stores 'cause it wasn't selling,) but now it's a harder album to come by, so it tends to be priced more expensively than his other works at this point in time.  (A new, unopened copy will run you between $40 and $50 on Amazon right now.)  The ironic thing is, it's amazing!  It just wasn't promoted by the studio, nor was the NPG's "Exodus" album, which was some of the funkiest stuff he made throughout the whole decade.  Hell, they didn't even release that one here in the states.

Anyway, yeah.  That's one more thing I miss about the 90's.  Prince made new music all the time, and he left treasures lying around here and there for his fans to seek out and enjoy.  The rest of the world seemed to think Prince had fallen off or retired or something (every album since Emancipation is continually referred to as Prince's "comeback" album... sheesh...) but we knew better.  And we knew what everyone else was missing, and we (well, at least I) kind of pitied the rest of the world for not knowing anything about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...