inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/08 at 9:31 pm

This was such a good movie, I saw it in the theatre in 1997 and even though it was probably one of the first '80s nostalgia movies, it didn't seem like a trip at all back then. It was their 10 year reunion, but it seemed like "just a few years ago into the recent past" when they showed the flashback scenes. I guess because they were still pretty young and basically living carefree lives around age 28, so it gave the impression that not much had changed.

First on a more easygoing note, I always liked it because I can relate to them. They're like total Vals and really likable, that's exactly the picture I had of young women growing up. I kinda talk like them too. ;D

On a more serious note though, it was surprisingly something of an emotional movie, despite the cheesy lightheartedness and humor with a bright focus on early-mid '80s pop and new wave music. It shows the sometimes harsh life of high school, proving everyone is human and probably got hurt more than outsiders might realize. Like I said, it came out when I was in high school myself (I was 15 and a Freshmen then) and I think it was my first inclination of how things like that actually go on in people's lives. I would've assumed these fun Valley Girls would've been totally popular before then, but it was somewhat eye opening to me to realize how the so-called popular girls (who they were way cuter than imo, lol) and A-listers pretty much rejected them.

Subject: Re: Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/08 at 9:38 pm

It was the typical "so stupid it makes you laugh" movie.  I liked it more for the music, but the film itself did make me chuckle in certain places.  Julia Campbell was in the movie and I always thought (and still do think) she is super gorgeous!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/08 at 9:53 pm

^ Can't recall her offhand, but I actually thought all of the young women in that movie were cute lol. Although the A-list girls (especially Christie) were so stuck up and mean-spirited it made them hard to like. I know it's weird to use a movie like this as a life-changing template, but like I said, when I discovered the mid '80s teen Romy and Michelle weren't that popular, it really made me realize some people have it tougher than you might realize from the outside.

As a kid and younger teen, I always assumed people like them would be the most well-liked and popular, just because they were so outgoing, fun and cute...but most importantly, good people overall who the movie makes you like. I was 15 then, so since I could experience high school myself by then a little, I was starting to realize how wrong I had it in a way. If I could've gone back ten years I would've gone out with them or at least been their friend. At least they had each other, but still...sometimes the coolest, best people to be friends with once you get to know them, aren't given the chance that often. Which is heartbreaking in itself.

Even in the (for 1997) present in the beginning, it was unbelievable to me how they couldn't get boyfriends, and go figure the only guy who WAS interested in them was that creepy dude Ramon who worked with Romy.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/13/08 at 12:52 am

I really do love this movie so much, and it's so fun to watch every time. In a way the flashback scenes from Romy and Michele's high school took me back to my own high school experience. Even the high school itself sort of resembled the one I went to. However, girls like Romy and Michele would've been fairly popular at my school, but there were some of the snobby, stuck-up types like Christie, and I always steered very clear of those girls.

The scenes may have taken me back to my old high school, but the music took me back to elementary school.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/13/08 at 4:30 pm

I saw the movie when it was out in theaters, too! At the time (May 1997), I was just getting into enjoying all the 80s/new wave music. The movie itself was great too.

In 2005, a made-for-tv prequel was made, starring Katharine Heigl and Alex Breckenridge, and was shown on ABC Family. Not as good as the original, though. :-\\

Written By: Gis on 05/14/08 at 3:49 am

Great Movie. See the lyrics of Bowling for Soup's song High School Never Ends. So true sadly.

Written By: Davester on 05/14/08 at 7:29 pm

Alright, I'm going to check this movie out.  That was also the year of my 10 year reunion, which I didn't attend...

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 1:45 am

What an awesome movie. The gummy bear diet. The magnets on the back brace. The dorky inventor of crazy rubber or whatever it was. Have to rent that and re-watch it's been a while

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/29/08 at 4:31 am

I love this movie! The flashback to the 80s scenes are hilarious and spot-on! Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow were both so cute and hysterically funny in this film! :)

Written By: cinnabon on 05/29/08 at 5:59 am

I saw this movie when it came out in theaters and loved it - Janeane Garofalo is hysterical in it as well!

Another great 80s themed reunion that came out that in 97 was Grosse Pointe Blank with great performances by John Cusack and Minnie Driver.

Written By: NbC on 06/10/08 at 5:50 am

Great movie!  So funny.  I haven't seen it in years. 

Check for new replies or respond here...