inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The late '90s decline of commercial jingles - why?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/08 at 9:41 pm

Most commercials since 1999ish have been throwaway, and I think it's because you don't hear jingles anymore. I loved those, they were almost like mini pop songs that could've been on the radio. Even if we took them for granted at the time, I think they added to the magic of things. Not just the product itself (usually snack foods, but it could be anything) but just the basic feel of the times. It seemed just happier, more glamorous and energetic.

Does anyone know why they slipped off?

Subject: Re: The late '90s decline of commercial jingles - why?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/12/08 at 10:10 pm

I noticed this as well. I'm not really sure why commercial jingles began to die out toward the year 2000, but one theory that I developed about this is that, around 1997 or so, it seemed like commercials started to become "edgier" and more "gritty" if you will. Having jingles in commercials wouldn't really fit with commercials having an edgier feel.

By the way, I love watching old commercials on Youtube, old recordings, etc. There's just something about older commercials from the '80s and '90s that makes me feel really nostalgic 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/08 at 10:14 pm

Yes...I have noticed that the commercials of today tend to use regular songs (most of the time popular ones) as a backdrop to sell their product. I miss the whole jingle too...cheesy in a good way, yet it still sold the product.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/12/08 at 10:19 pm

By the way, I love watching old commercials on Youtube, old recordings, etc. There's just something about older commercials from the '80s and '90s that makes me feel really nostalgic 8)

Exactly! Whenever I pop in my 1994 Rugrats Marathon videotape, those commercials send me on the Nostalgia Trip of a lifetime. I love old commercials! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/12/08 at 10:23 pm

I noticed this as well. I'm not really sure why commercial jingles began to die out toward the year 2000, but one theory that I developed about this is that, around 1997 or so, it seemed like commercials started to become "edgier" and more "gritty" if you will. Having jingles in commercials wouldn't really fit with commercials having an edgier feel.

That's true. I think most areas of entertainment became "edgier" in the Y2K era, so you're probably right that the breezier feel of jingles would've started feeling out of place in comparison.

Yeah I agree, it's almost like going back in time if you see commercials or advertizements of a certain time, I love that too. :)

Written By: Davester on 05/12/08 at 10:54 pm

Most commercials since 1999ish have been throwaway, and I think it's because you don't hear jingles anymore. I loved those, they were almost like mini pop songs that could've been on the radio. Even if we took them for granted at the time, I think they added to the magic of things. Not just the product itself (usually snack foods, but it could be anything) but just the basic feel of the times. It seemed just happier, more glamorous and energetic.

Does anyone know why they slipped off?

Consumers have become more savvy and sophisticated.  Jingles sure did work for a long time but people are wise to it now...

This is an age where one can actually do research on pretty much any product and get immediate answers - Vehix is a good example of this. Jingles, as a means of selling a product, wouldn't be as successful today, IMO.  It's interesting that members of a certain age group in the US are generally supposed to be the most stubborn and difficult to market to, which I'm guessing, had something to do with the decline of the jingle...

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/13/08 at 12:54 am

I miss those old jingles, too, even though many of them were corny. Comparing the old commercials with the new gives me a new kind of appreciation for the commercials I used to watch growing up.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/13/08 at 1:20 am

I hadn't noticed it until this thread came around, but, yeah, jingles have been in fairly short supply these days.  Funny the things you'll miss when they go away, huh?

But it might explain the strange popularity of this Hyundai dealership radio jingle here in San Diego.  I spoke to a DJ at the radio station I listen to, and he told me they actually get requests on the call-in line FOR THIS COMMERCIAL!  Perhaps jingles will find their way back to us in the coming decade...

Check out this flash video the dealership made for their radio ad:  http://66.70.141.171/Frog4.swf

Check for new replies or respond here...