inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best 90's video game

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/20/08 at 2:37 pm

I firmly believe that the 90's, with the Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PSOne, Genesis, and SNES, were the golden age of video games, with the latter half being the best part. Such an emphasis was placed on gameplay, rather than graphics (like today), and those games had such a unique and free-spirited feel to them which really boosted the replay value. My choices would have to be Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, and Super Mario 64  :)

Subject: Re: Best 90's video game

Written By: wildcard on 05/20/08 at 5:33 pm

Super Smash Brothers and Mairokart 64 are My favorates.  I also love Super Mario 64 and The Ocarina Of Time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/20/08 at 5:44 pm

Hard to pick just three from those listed, but I went with Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Some great '90s games not listed are Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III :)

Written By: Davester on 05/20/08 at 9:06 pm

That's the only game I remember playing in the 90s was Sonic the Hedgehog-1 and I played it ALOT...

Written By: audkal on 05/20/08 at 9:36 pm

Final Fantasy VII, Sonic & Knuckles, Crash Bandicoot.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/08 at 10:40 pm

Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/20/08 at 11:53 pm

Where's the other option?

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/08 at 6:44 pm

Frogger is in the list?  FROGGER?  That game is like over 25 years old

Had there have been the 'other' option, I would have chosen Streets of Rage (in all it's versions on all systems), which to me was the best console game(s) ever created!

Written By: Me on 05/25/08 at 3:52 pm

3) Banjo Kazooie

2) 007 GoldenEye

1) Ocarina of Time

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 10:58 pm

I think at least one company did a rewrite/re-imagining of it in the 90s; maybe that's the version the poster was remembering?

If I'm going for amphibian-based console games, though, it's gonna be BATTLETOADS.

And now for something completely different, anyone remember Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/26/08 at 7:26 am

I think at least one company did a rewrite/re-imagining of it in the 90s; maybe that's the version the poster was remembering?

If I'm going for amphibian-based console games, though, it's gonna be BATTLETOADS.

And now for something completely different, anyone remember Conker's Bad Fur Day?

I STILL play Conker  ;D

That game, like Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie, was THIS close to going on the list, just because they were, in my opinion, 90's games released in the early 00's. They had the same feel and the same premise as many of their earlier counterparts, but took advantage of the N64 graphics engine much more (as well as the expansion pack). Perfect Dark was and is the best shooter of all time PERIOD. And I heard they were coming out with a new Banjo Kazooie game on the 360 this November  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/26/08 at 10:51 am

You don't play Bad Fur Day, you experience it. Even today, just thinking about that game makes me laugh ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/26/08 at 1:07 pm

Had there have been the 'other' option, I would have chosen Streets of Rage (in all it's versions on all systems), which to me was the best console game(s) ever created!

I would have chosen a few games myself if there were an 'other' option. Stuff like the Dragon Warrior/Quest series.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/08 at 8:45 pm

I STILL play Conker  ;D

That game, like Perfect Dark and Banjo Tooie, was THIS close to going on the list, just because they were, in my opinion, 90's games released in the early 00's. 

I stand corrected... released in 2001.  Damn, it has been a long time.

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 1:31 am

I CANT CHOOSE!!!!! BRAIN SPASMMM AHHH!! I loved 64 games. Mariokart, Supermario, Goldeneye, and sheesh I have to bust out Banjo and Kazooie. Resident Evil obviously is amazing. Sonic. Crash. I just can't choose.

Written By: midnite on 05/29/08 at 6:30 pm

No Madden or sports games?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/02/08 at 10:42 pm

Really all of the Final Fantasies should be listed as one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/03/08 at 2:31 pm

What about Gran Turismo?

I bought a PS One just for that game.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 3:53 pm

was doom not 1990s?

anyway, i'd probably go with the sims. i guess that's a PC game but it still counts, i'da thought.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/03/08 at 5:13 pm

What about Gran Turismo?

I bought a PS One just for that game.

Gran Turismo was an amazing game when it came out. The graphics are terribly outdated today (to be expected since the game has been out for a decade), but I don't know anybody that played that game back then that wasn't blown away.

was doom not 1990s?

Doom came out in '93 I believe. Given how big the FPS genre is today, you could make a case for it being the most influential game of the '90s.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 6:45 pm

^plus doom is just total genius! 8)

Written By: nally on 06/05/08 at 4:10 pm

Hard to pick just three from those listed, but I went with Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Agreed... I couldn't make up my mind either. But I do like the Super Mario and Sonic The Hedgehog games the best, out of the ones listed.

Some great '90s games not listed are Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III :)

yeah, if there was an "other" option, I'd pick SMB3 and SMW too.

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/05/08 at 5:58 pm

I think Super Mario and Super Metroid need to be added to that list. I would personally like to give "Parasite Eve" for Ps1 a shout out that was a GREAT game.

Written By: thewolrab on 06/07/08 at 2:55 am

None of those. Quake (1996) and Quake II (1997) for PC were amazing.

Hell, you could even consider Quake III a '90s game (it was released in December '99), and I still play it to this day.

Written By: musicgirl on 06/08/08 at 6:16 pm

Super Mario 64.

Written By: Stumpydisks on 06/10/08 at 2:47 pm

Mario Cart all the way!

Written By: b8man on 06/18/08 at 8:57 am

Thank you. Especially 2, me and my friend still love to play that game to this day.

Written By: b8man on 06/18/08 at 9:34 am

Super Mario Allstars should be listed as well. All you really got to play from the 90's though, is: Super Mario Brothers, Mario 2, Mario 3, SMW, Sonic the Hedehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles. Funnest games ever.

Check for new replies or respond here...