inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Nirvana up there with Led Zeppelin?

Written By: Temptation on 05/22/08 at 3:45 pm

Do Nirvana deserve to enter the godlike worship of classic rock or are they just a trendy band similar to rock now?

Subject: Re: Are Nirvana up there with Led Zeppelin?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 4:50 pm

I don't think any band really needs to be worshipped like that.

This is coming from a pretty hardcore Nirvana fan too.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 05/22/08 at 6:33 pm

Dude, for real??

I think Nirvana is up on the same shelf as The Beatles.  I always thought the comparison between the two of those bands was pretty far fetched until more time passed and I saw the effect Nirvana (and Kurt) had had on music in general in the '90s.  I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Nirvana was the Beatles of the 90's.  So I don't think it's a stretch to believe Nirvana and Zep would have the same fervent fan-worship. 

...And this is coming from someone who isn't really much of a Nirvana fan!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/08 at 7:11 pm

Yes, they are. Whether your a fan or not, it's hard to deny the influence they had on music in the '90s and still today.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/22/08 at 7:28 pm

Absolutely.

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/08 at 8:27 pm

I'm not much of a fan of either Nirvana or Led Zeppelin. They just seemed innaccessible to me.

I still wonder whether Nirvana would have had the same legacy had Cobain not blown his own head off.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 9:10 pm

Dude, for real??

I think Nirvana is up on the same shelf as The Beatles.  I always thought the comparison between the two of those bands was pretty far fetched until more time passed and I saw the effect Nirvana (and Kurt) had had on music in general in the '90s.  I think it's pretty much a given at this point that Nirvana was the Beatles of the 90's.  So I don't think it's a stretch to believe Nirvana and Zep would have the same fervent fan-worship. 

...And this is coming from someone who isn't really much of a Nirvana fan!

I said "any band"....

I just don't see "worship" on the same shelf as "influential".

Influential, yes... I can see their effect on music.

(I'm probably walking on a mine field with this post)

Written By: Davester on 05/22/08 at 10:13 pm

A band responsible for bringing about a musical and cultural revolution.  They were talented (listen to Unplugged).  They brought grunge to the masses.  They were very lucky...

Written By: audkal on 05/22/08 at 10:29 pm

I still wonder whether Nirvana would have had the same legacy had Cobain not blown his own head off.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/08 at 10:51 pm

A band responsible for bringing about a musical and cultural revolution.  They were talented (listen to Unplugged).  They brought grunge to the masses.  They were very lucky...

I have Unplugged. ;)

Written By: midnite on 05/22/08 at 11:33 pm

Do Nirvana deserve to enter the godlike worship of classic rock or are they just a trendy band similar to rock now?

Well, does anyone worship the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl?  He was in Nirvana.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/23/08 at 2:48 pm

Of course, they were one of the quintessential bands of the 90's, just as Led Zeppelin was one of the quintessential bands of the 70's. In that sense, comparing them to the Beatles is also not a stretch, since Nirvana brought back real rock n' roll during a time dominated by Nelsons and Warrants. The Beatles brought it back during a time when the Beach Boys  8-P were considered good.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/23/08 at 4:32 pm

I'm not much of a fan of either Nirvana or Led Zeppelin. They just seemed innaccessible to me.

I think they still would have the legacy.  They actually have great music.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/23/08 at 4:33 pm

I apologize if my first post was offensive.

I didn't mean it that way.

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/08 at 6:40 pm

I apologize if my first post was offensive.

I didn't mean it that way.

Man, it was totally offensive.  You should be banned

(of course I am kidding)

:D

Written By: Butt on 05/25/08 at 8:15 am

Nirvana is not only up there with Led Zeppelin, it can (in my mind) compete with and probably outdo any band you can name.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/25/08 at 9:55 am

Nirvana is not only up there with Led Zeppelin, it can (in my mind) compete with and probably outdo any band you can name.

Ding, ding, ding, give Butt a prize for having gone too far  :P

Written By: Step-chan on 05/26/08 at 1:03 pm

Man, it was totally offensive.  You should be banned

(of course I am kidding)

:D

A Karma for you.  ::) :P :D

I tend to have bad luck online, just for voicing an opinion.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/08 at 10:15 pm

Yes, they are. Whether your a fan or not, it's hard to deny the influence they had on music in the '90s and still today.

Yeah, I think another reason they're so well-liked with remnants of that sound still hanging around today is that they, along with the other grunge bands were the last truly original rock movement (from about 1991 to '94).

As for the original question, I'm not really a Nirvana fan outside of their biggest hits like "Teen Spirit" and "Come as You Are"....but I can't stand Zeppelin (talk about boring, noisy and just overrated), so I'd say they're better. ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/27/08 at 8:34 pm

On a purely musical level, Nirvana doesn't hold a candle to Led Zeppelin. There is a twenty year difference between the two bands, but I do think Nirvana will be eventually seen as influential as Led Zep was. Whether or not that acclaim will be deserved is another matter. I like both bands quite a bit.

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/28/08 at 7:49 am

Yeah, I think another reason they're so well-liked with remnants of that sound still hanging around today is that they, along with the other grunge bands were the last truly original rock movement (from about 1991 to '94).

As for the original question, I'm not really a Nirvana fan outside of their biggest hits like "Teen Spirit" and "Come as You Are"....but I can't stand Zeppelin (talk about boring, noisy and just overrated), so I'd say they're better. ;)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gifLed Zeppelin is boring?  You're breaking my heart, Marty. 

Written By: Davester on 05/28/08 at 7:37 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gifLed Zeppelin is boring?  You're breaking my heart, Marty. 

And mine.  People have been flamed for less...

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/08 at 7:40 pm

Nirvana are down there in the trash where I threw all the other crappy CDs I hate LOL

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/28/08 at 8:07 pm

Nirvana are down there in the trash where I threw all the other crappy CDs I hate LOL

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif Jeez Louise - I am going to smite both you and Marty!

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 8:34 pm

I agree with Marty I'm afraid, ladybug . . . I think Led Zeppelin are a good cure for insomnia.

As for Nirvana, I'm not at all convinced about their 'legacy' but I did like their song Sliver.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/28/08 at 8:54 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif Jeez Louise - I am going to smite both you and Marty!

I'll stay out of it, I know ya don't need back up. ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/08 at 8:56 pm

I like both Nirvana and Led Zeppelin :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/29/08 at 5:33 am

Hey, I like both! But I'm not quite sure I'd put Nirvana in the same group as Zeppelin.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/29/08 at 7:59 am

I agree with Marty I'm afraid, ladybug . . . I think Led Zeppelin are a good cure for insomnia.

As for Nirvana, I'm not at all convinced about their 'legacy' but I did like their song Sliver.

Insomnia?  What the...? I think you mean "Manilow" - now there's some musical methadone right there.

YOU HAVE FORCED MY HAND.  YER ALL GETTIN' THE MONKEY BUTT

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/shakin.gif

Written By: Tia on 05/29/08 at 8:02 am

influence wise nirvana's probably up with LZ and the beatles (although i dont think they get as much replay, because their music isn't as listenable on its own...) talent wise, there's no contest. LZ and the beatles both blow nirvana completely out of the water.

Written By: KKay on 05/29/08 at 8:12 am

Hey, I like both! But I'm not quite sure I'd put Nirvana in the same group as Zeppelin.

agreed.  nirvana had their role in history, but they are not as complicated, inventive, nor ahead of their time the way zep was.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/29/08 at 9:27 am

Haha sorry, no offense meant. ;) :)

Dont get me wrong, they're talented in what they do and have good musicianship and all. I guess a better way to put it is that they don't seem like "catchy music" (which is mainly what I'm into) that you'd listen to for fun, but more the kind of stuff you'd study and get into, if that makes sense. Kinda like how Pink Floyd are.

When it comes to rock, I like the really poppy stuff like "Jump" by Van Halen or "We Built This City".

I guess for the Zeppelin era, I like alot of Rolling Stones songs, probably again 'cause they seem catchier and shorter.

Written By: Tia on 05/29/08 at 9:43 am

d'oh!

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=819

check out number 1!

although to be fair, there's a lot of songs on that list i like. oo bla dee, the end, sounds of silence, your body is a wonderland... well, that's it, actually. the rest of those songs suck. "rape me" could be on the list just for its sheer cringe factor. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/29/08 at 10:32 am

Haha sorry, no offense meant. ;) :)

Dont get me wrong, they're talented in what they do and have good musicianship and all. I guess a better way to put it is that they don't seem like "catchy music" (which is mainly what I'm into) that you'd listen to for fun, but more the kind of stuff you'd study and get into, if that makes sense. Kinda like how Pink Floyd are.

When it comes to rock, I like the really poppy stuff like "Jump" by Van Halen or "We Built This City".

I guess for the Zeppelin era, I like alot of Rolling Stones songs, probably again 'cause they seem catchier and shorter.

To each his own, I guess.  "We Built This City" is like this to me:  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/poke.gif

Written By: audkal on 05/29/08 at 3:13 pm

Couldn't agree more.  My brother blasts Nirvana a lot at our house and I just don't know--they seem very overrated to me.

Written By: midnite on 05/29/08 at 6:29 pm

Nirvana was short-lived and had only a few albums relative to Led Zeppelin. I do not think you can compare the two bands.  Of course Nirvana was influential on grunge, but there were NOT the original "depressed college band."

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/30/08 at 12:14 am

d'oh!

check out number 1!

although to be fair, there's a lot of songs on that list i like. oo bla dee, the end, sounds of silence, your body is a wonderland... well, that's it, actually. the rest of those songs suck. "rape me" could be on the list just for its sheer cringe factor. :)

I actually like about half the songs on that list :-[

Written By: Red Ant on 05/30/08 at 4:35 pm

d'oh!

check out number 1!

I didn't know Bernie Taupin wrote "We Built The City".

He's also on the worst lyricists list, though for some inexplicable reason America escaped inclusion.

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/31/08 at 3:51 pm

I didn't know Bernie Taupin wrote "We Built The City".

He's also on the worst lyricists list, though for some inexplicable reason America escaped inclusion.

Ant

Hey, Oz never really did give nothing to the Tin Man  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/08 at 6:05 pm

Insomnia?  What the...? I think you mean "Manilow" - now there's some musical methadone right there.

YOU HAVE FORCED MY HAND.  YER ALL GETTIN' THE MONKEY BUTT

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/shakin.gif

Well yes . . . Barry Manilow is just as bad.

And what a nice monkey's butt you have too, lol.

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/08 at 6:06 pm

I've wondered what music would've sounded like today had he stuck around.

My personal opinion is that Nirvana would have faded out instead of going out with a bang (no pun intended, lol).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/01/08 at 7:20 pm

Sure they are right up there together, since I don't really like either of them other then one or two songs. 

Written By: Step-chan on 06/02/08 at 10:41 pm

My personal opinion is that Nirvana would have faded out instead of going out with a bang (no pun intended, lol).

From what I read, they would have worked on seperate projects.

Written By: Genius on 06/03/08 at 2:45 pm

Are you guys fudgeing serious?  Led Zeppelin were fudgeing huge, and extremely talented.  John Bonham and Jimmy Page are very often cited as some of the best ever for their respective instrument.  What the fudge did Nirvana do?  Oh, they played a bunch of easy power chords and complained about how life sucked.  Give me a fudgeing break.  Props to them for mainstreaming a genre that never should have gone mainstream; at least they killed it too.  Zeppelin had a goddamn airplane with their band name on it... IN THE 70s!  Nirvana are wayyy overrated and the only album I can stand to listen to now is Unplugged in New York.  Yes I have grown tired of Zeppelin as well, but you can never go wrong with masterpieces like Achillis Last Stand, No Quarter, Trampled Under Foot, not to mention the genius live album/movie The Song Remains The Same.  Nirvana aren't in the same ballpark as Zeppelin.  The majority of Nirvana fans are high schoolers that have been exposed to them for less than 3 years, and then they ultimately grow out of their grunge phase just like north america did in the early 90s... and if you are still a fan after that then I feel sorry for you and maybe you should overdose on heroin then blow your head off with a shotgun.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/03/08 at 2:52 pm

OOh, Someone likes fudge.

Here you go, genius:

Written By: Genius on 06/03/08 at 3:09 pm

Dam, I guess I can't use profanity. 

Oh, one other thing.  Addressed to the moron who claimed Nirvana to be "on the level of The Beatles".  WOW YOU ARE ONE STUPID MOTHER FUKER!!!  Personally, the only beatles album I like is sgt peppers... but that doesn't change the fact that the beatles are by far the biggest band that has ever existed.  No one compares to them.  The Rolling Stones?  No way.  Pink Floyd?  I wish.  NIRVANA?  BAHAHAHA.  Dude the Beatles started the British Invasion.  Did people in the UK at the time Nirvana topped the charts in america even know about them?  You must understand that I'm taking the realistic point of view and not my personal point of view.  I think Pink Floyd is the greatest band ever, and fuk you if you think i listen to money and time constantly.  Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother are by far their greatest material (although Dark Side is the greatest concept album of all time).  But seriously, The Beatles pretty much were the first "blockbuster" band if you will.  Their change in style from the use of drugs is quite impressive, and their influence is so vast its impossible to even try to imagine what the music world would be right now had they not existed. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/03/08 at 3:35 pm

Even if you think that Nirvana is not on the same level as Zeppelin musically, it's hard to deny that they did have a huge influence on the current state of rock music, just as Zeppelin had an influence with many bands throughout the '70s and '80s.

Just look at the top rock songs today. Almost every band up there has a lead singer that's a Cobain sound-alike.

Written By: Orangina on 06/03/08 at 3:36 pm

a great band. sadly they inspired crap.

Written By: Tia on 06/03/08 at 3:52 pm

Dude the Beatles started the British Invasion.  Did people in the UK at the time Nirvana topped the charts in america even know about them?  You must understand that I'm taking the realistic point of view and not my personal point of view.  I think Pink Floyd is the greatest band ever.  Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother are by far their greatest material (although Dark Side is the greatest concept album of all time).  But seriously, The Beatles pretty much were the first "blockbuster" band if you will.  Their change in style from the use of drugs is quite impressive, and their influence is so vast its impossible to even try to imagine what the music world would be right now had they not existed. 
never have i agreed so strongly with someone's opinion, and yet disagreed so strongly with their right to say it.

diplomacy, man! diplomacy! i don't think the beatles ever sang a song called, "all you need is to insult someone's mother."

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/08 at 4:32 pm

Oh, one other thing.  Addressed to the moron who claimed Nirvana to be "on the level of The Beatles".  WOW YOU ARE ONE STUPID ******  *****!!!  Personally, the only beatles album I like is sgt peppers... but that doesn't change the fact that the beatles are by far the biggest band that has ever existed.  No one compares to them.  The Rolling Stones?  No way.  Pink Floyd?  I wish.  NIRVANA?  BAHAHAHA.  Dude the Beatles started the British Invasion.  Did people in the UK at the time Nirvana topped the charts in america even know about them?  You must understand that I'm taking the realistic point of view and not my personal point of view.  I think Pink Floyd is the greatest band ever, and *** you if you think i listen to money and time constantly.  Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother are by far their greatest material (although Dark Side is the greatest concept album of all time).  But seriously, The Beatles pretty much were the first "blockbuster" band if you will.  Their change in style from the use of drugs is quite impressive, and their influence is so vast its impossible to even try to imagine what the music world would be right now had they not existed. 

Man, I had to censor some of your words in reply. You need to seriously calm down.

It's fine that you don't like Nirvana, but be abit more mature about it.

Oops, I forgot something to say something and now I can't remember it, oh well...

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/08 at 11:39 pm

Addressed to the moron who claimed Nirvana to be "on the level of The Beatles".  WOW YOU ARE ONE STUPID MOTHER FUKER!!!

I don't recall you mentioning the Beatles at all

Written By: Davester on 06/04/08 at 12:06 am

I don't recall you mentioning the Beatles at all

Heehee..! :D

Phooey!  Let's wait and see who steals Bob Plant's ashes after he checks out...

You know, George's death really ruined a good Beatles reunion joke.  Ah well... :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...