inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hi im a late 93er

Written By: josh911 on 06/04/08 at 3:48 pm

Hi,
im new to this site im born in dec 1993 i dont really remeber the 90s just the macarena which i used to hear when i was like 4 and thats it really!!i dont really remeber much!!i dont now how to live without the internet all my freinds are online 24/7 and were on msn or sites you know!???We all have ipods cellphones from 4th grade although i used to now how to used one since 1998!!i do remeber in the early 00s when rap was a big hit and yes my freinds do hate rap so do im 14 i like techno which is the big thing in my school not some metal and some soulja boy!!i like ot skateboard !!
i hate emos no one likes emos they are sick ppl who are just crazy and sad!!im in 8th grade going to 9th!i dont wish to live in the 90s and 80s as a teen because i wld be bored no gud internet or msn and people were lame no offence thats it lol:D!!and yeh duh and yo are so lame and are old they are from the 90s right?one question in the 90s and 80s were u able to live without internet !!
bye ttyl 
:) ;)

Subject: Re: hi im a late 93er

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/04/08 at 5:37 pm

you're a tool

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/08 at 8:22 pm

Hi,
im new to this site im born in dec 1993 i dont really remeber the 90s just the macarena which i used to hear when i was like 4 and thats it really!!i dont really remeber much!!i dont now how to live without the internet all my freinds are online 24/7 and were on msn or sites you know!???We all have ipods cellphones from 4th grade although i used to now how to used one since 1998!!i do remeber in the early 00s when rap was a big hit and yes my freinds do hate rap so do im 14 i like techno which is the big thing in my school not some metal and some soulja boy!!i like ot skateboard !!
i hate emos no one likes emos they are sick ppl who are just crazy and sad!!im in 8th grade going to 9th!i dont wish to live in the 90s and 80s as a teen because i wld be bored no gud internet or msn and people were lame no offence thats it lol:D!!and yeh duh and yo are so lame and are old they are from the 90s right?one question in the 90s and 80s were u able to live without internet !!
bye ttyl 

'80s and '90s > '00s ;)

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/04/08 at 8:41 pm

'80s and '90s > '00s ;)

Oh, that is so true. So true. ;)

Written By: audkal on 06/04/08 at 8:49 pm

one question in the 90s and 80s were u able to live without internet !!

The '90s were so good you didn't need the internet.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/08 at 9:03 pm

Exactly ;)

Besides, the internet was around in the '90s. Maybe no Youtube or Myspace, but still...

Written By: Brian06 on 06/04/08 at 9:11 pm

Exactly ;)

Besides, the internet was around in the '90s. Maybe no Youtube or Myspace, bit still...

Of course I was on it like all the time in the late '90s. I first got internet like sometime in '95... Though it always seemed slow.

Written By: audkal on 06/04/08 at 9:12 pm

Exactly ;)

Besides, the internet was around in the '90s. Maybe no Youtube or Myspace, bit still...

True, I personally didn't make it a routine till about '02 though.

Written By: Bobby on 06/04/08 at 9:14 pm

Josh911 is a comedy genius, lol.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/04/08 at 9:32 pm

True, I personally didn't make it a routine till about '02 though.

Yeah, me too. We didn't even have a computer until about '99 I believe, no internet until the later part of 2000.

Of course it was on it like all the time in the late '90s. I first got internet like sometime in '95... Though it always seemed slow.

Yep. We were lucky to get a connection speed higher than 20kbps back in the dial up days.

15 minutes of buffering to watch a video, an hour to download a single file, whippersnappers like this guy don't know how lucky they have it ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/08 at 9:42 pm

Amen to that. ;)

Written By: audkal on 06/04/08 at 9:54 pm

Amen to that. ;)

Thankyous, and I'm sure the '80s were too, but I wouldn't know since I was only alive for 4 1/2 months of the '80s!  LOL.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/08 at 10:23 pm

Thankyous, and I'm sure the '80s were too, but I wouldn't know since I was only alive for 4 1/2 months of the '80s!  LOL.

yes...the 80's were magical too! :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/04/08 at 10:57 pm

'80s and '90s > '00s ;)

Applause, applause, applause! I totally agree!  :) :) :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/08 at 12:27 am

When I first got Internet, it was like 1997.  I had a dial-up modem, and the provider I was with gave me 30 hours a month for $39.99, and for each hour I exceeded, they charged me $1

I don't miss that

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 06/05/08 at 7:33 pm

Josh911, your username makes me think of a point worth bringing up...

I would trade all the iPods, iPhones, Youtubes, MySpaces, American Idols, The OCs, and everything else you may find so wonderful from this crazy decade just to have lived through the past eight years without:

George Bush

Dick Cheney

Condoleezza Rice

4,000 Dead American Soldiers

The War in Iraq in its entirety

The Sub-Prime Housing Failure

FEMA-gate

The Swiftboating of John Kerry

The $5.00 gallon of gas

Paris Hilton

The Britneygeist

TMZ.com

The lost innocence of VH1 as a worthy network

and September 11, 2001.

Keep your decade, kid.  I'd take Vanilla Ice and Seinfeld reruns anyday.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 06/05/08 at 8:09 pm

Here's another point of perspective...

I may be in a minority on this board, but I'm kind of a fan of the R&B/ pop music... when it's good, at least.

In that regard, the 90's brought us Shoop and Let's Talk About Sex by Salt N Pepa, Waterfalls and Creep by TLC, Hold On and My Lovin' by En Vogue, and hell, even Weak and Right Here by SWV.

Here's what the 2000's have brought it to...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ruef7aYCEbc

Believe it or not, this song is actually being pushed by its label.  My music service is sending me this video next week.  I'd like to think that it's tongue-in-cheek, but it could also possibly be just as bad as it seems.

Happy 2008, music lovers!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/08 at 9:42 pm

The OP is an idiot (no offense, but it's kids like that dude which make everyone else look bad by comparison - especially the more old-school kids and teens), so I wouldn't take what he's saying too seriously. He's got the right to his opinion though.

I totally agree with everyone else who's posted here though. :)

Even though I slightly prefer '80s music (although I love both decades, and hey you can always listen to it)...the world overall was great in the '90s. It was the perfect mix of retro and modern-ness! It also felt alot more old-school because there didn't seem to be this obsession with technology and construction being brand new. It was more laid back too - like if you went to a mall in, say 1995 it still looked like the '80s with small modifications. Radio stations were the same way, like still playing lots of those songs mixed with the new stuff. Crimes and tragedies also seemed more like the exception rather than the rule.

I'd say 1997 was the first "internet year" in the mainstream. Even if it was like a dinosaur compared to now lol, it still existed. I think people appreciated it more because they didn't yet take it for granted. Same with technology. The only thing I would miss is stuff like youtube, but then I'd just go back to taping videos off VH1 or sitcoms and stuff from the original channels. That made it feel more special even if it was less conveinent.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/06/08 at 10:00 pm

The OP is an idiot (no offense, but it's kids like that dude which make everyone else look bad by comparison - especially the more old-school kids and teens), so I wouldn't take what he's saying too seriously. He's got the right to his opinion though.

I totally agree with everyone else who's posted here though. :)

Even though I slightly prefer '80s music (although I love both decades, and hey you can always listen to it)...the world overall was great in the '90s. It was the perfect mix of retro and modern-ness! It also felt alot more old-school because there didn't seem to be this obsession with technology and construction being brand new. It was more laid back too - like if you went to a mall in, say 1995 it still looked like the '80s with small modifications. Radio stations were the same way, like still playing lots of those songs mixed with the new stuff. Crimes and tragedies also seemed more like the exception rather than the rule.

I'd say 1997 was the first "internet year" in the mainstream. Even if it was like a dinosaur compared to now lol, it still existed. I think people appreciated it more because they didn't yet take it for granted. Same with technology. The only thing I would miss is stuff like youtube, but then I'd just go back to taping videos off VH1 or sitcoms and stuff from the original channels. That made it feel more special even if it was less conveinent.

Yeah, back in the early days of the World Wide Web, there really wasn't much to do other than looking around on websites. There were, of course, places where you could watch video's, play game's, etc. but when I first went online around 1997/'98, I didn't really even know you could do any of that stuff. Besides, even if I had known, my connection wouldn't have been fast enough to support any of that anyway.

I almost believe this kid is just joking anyway. Assuming he was born in the late '93/early '94 period, you would have to live in quite a bubble to remember nothing before you were 10 years old ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/08 at 10:34 pm

Yeah, back in the early days of the World Wide Web, there really wasn't much to do other than looking around on websites. There were, of course, places where you could watch video's, play game's, etc. but when I first went online around 1997/'98, I didn't really even know you could do any of that stuff. Besides, even if I had known, my connection wouldn't have been fast enough to support any of that anyway.

I almost believe this kid is just joking anyway. Assuming he was born in the late '93/early '94 period, you would have to live in quite a bubble to remember nothing before you were 10 years old ;D

It's hard to take him seriously, so who knows lol. Yeah, I think meaningful memory starts at 4 or certainly by 6-7, not 12. ;)

Oh yeah, even though it was mostly text and picture based...come to think of it there were some streaming videos in the early Internet days, but it was a royal pain to watch, especially those Quicktime videos! They stopped every few seconds for "Buffering", that got annoying. Same with song clips too.

Theoretically YouTube could've come around in 1997, but nobody would've been able to watch anything. ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/06/08 at 10:57 pm

It's hard to take him seriously, so who knows lol. Yeah, I think meaningful memory starts at 4 or certainly by 6-7, not 12. ;)

Oh yeah, even though it was mostly text and picture based...come to think of it there were some streaming videos in the early Internet days, but it was a royal pain to watch, especially those Quicktime videos! They stopped every few seconds for "Buffering", that got annoying. Same with song clips too.

Theoretically YouTube could've come around in 1997, but nobody would've been able to watch anything. ;D

Quicktime videos were the worst. When we finally got the internet at home in 2000, I didn't even bother trying to watch many videos online, as they would need to buffer about every 10 to 15 seconds.

My parents were kind of old-fashioned (cheap in other words ;)) so when they finally decided to get the net, they got a bad computer, and the slowest possible ISP. It took about 5 minutes for a single page to load.

Written By: thewolrab on 06/07/08 at 2:48 am

Exactly, not much can be said for a decade that would be boring without the internet (the '00s). At least the '90s would have kicked ass either way. I mean the internet was around in the '90s obviously, but not like it is today. We didn't even get a computer until 1998 and were perfectly happy.

I miss the '90s something wicked. (I'm almost 20, and I remember almost all of them).

Edit: DJ Wonderbread - Excellent points, I agree completely.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/12/08 at 11:11 am

Heck ya, I was able to live without the Internet AND a computer! I didn't even have a computer until 1999. That was 17 years of my life without the internet and a computer. Yes, I played on other people's stuff, but that was fine.

I am very proud of living my life without the internet because I found a heck of a lot more to do and kept myself busy with more creative stuff and being outside with my friends.

Written By: josh911 on 06/12/08 at 3:59 pm

I FEEL SAD FOR U

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/12/08 at 8:21 pm

Hmmm, I can think of a lot more to be sad about  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/08 at 10:12 pm

Heck ya, I was able to live without the Internet AND a computer! I didn't even have a computer until 1999. That was 17 years of my life without the internet and a computer. Yes, I played on other people's stuff, but that was fine.

I am very proud of living my life without the internet because I found a heck of a lot more to do and kept myself busy with more creative stuff and being outside with my friends.

Exactly. When I see young kids getting on the internet all the time these days, I don't get it. If we had the internet when I was a kid, I don't think I would have even wanted to be on it for that long. I'm sure I would have rather been outside doing something instead of sitting in front of a computer screen.

Written By: Tia on 06/23/08 at 2:26 pm

I would trade all the iPods, iPhones, Youtubes, MySpaces, American Idols, The OCs, and everything else you may find so wonderful from this crazy decade just to have lived through the past eight years without:

George Bush

Dick Cheney

Condoleezza Rice

FEMA-gate

The $5.00 gallon of gas

Paris Hilton

The Britneygeist

TMZ.com

and September 11, 2001.

yeah, the 2000s made disco and stagflation look good!  :o

Written By: Davester on 06/23/08 at 5:16 pm

yeah, the 2000s made disco and stagflation look good!  :o

I miss stagflation... :\'(

Written By: Step-chan on 06/25/08 at 9:33 pm

Hi,
bye ttyl   

Wow, I've never seen someone ask a question using exclamation points. ;D

And to answer that question, yes I grew up in 80s and 90s.

I survived without the internet growing up(been using the internet since 2004 and didn't have a computer until last year), just like you seem to survive without grammer skills. :D ;) ::) :P ;D

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 07/15/08 at 10:40 pm

Hi,
bye ttyl   

The internet is like a drug thats attempting to keep this decade alive but its failing miserably. 

IN FACT, its the cancer thats killing this decade.  Technology as a whole has "made our lives easier" while at the same time making our lives worse.  These days everything is so simplified that people no longer need the ability to think.  Now its all "Just press the button and go!! its THAT simple!!".  With a simple click of a mouse the "world is at your finger tips".  The internet has given a forum for every freaking idiot on the face of the planet to voice their opinions no matter how ridiculous and out of wack they are.  It's corrupted our morals, and now anything goes no matter how stupid it is.  The internet's become a breeding ground for bad music, worse people, and sex sex sex.

But most importantly, its given us people like you.  A generation who cant tell right from wrong, has a horrible fashion sense, and could not survive a day without constantly being "connected" to someone.

So, how were we able to live without internet in the 80's and 90's??  We had lives.  We went outside once in a while.  We thought for ourselves and didn't let a computer do it for us.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/15/08 at 11:17 pm

The internet is like a drug thats attempting to keep this decade alive but its failing miserably. 

IN FACT, its the cancer thats killing this decade.  Technology as a whole has "made our lives easier" while at the same time making our lives worse.  These days everything is so simplified that people no longer need the ability to think.  Now its all "Just press the button and go!! its THAT simple!!".  With a simple click of a mouse the "world is at your finger tips".  The internet has given a forum for every freaking idiot on the face of the planet to voice their opinions no matter how ridiculous and out of wack they are.  It's corrupted our morals, and now anything goes no matter how stupid it is.  The internet's become a breeding ground for bad music, worse people, and sex sex sex.

But most importantly, its given us people like you.  A generation who cant tell right from wrong, has a horrible fashion sense, and could not survive a day without constantly being "connected" to someone.

So, how were we able to live without internet in the 80's and 90's??  We had lives.  We went outside once in a while.  We thought for ourselves and didn't let a computer do it for us.

I agree with you 100%.

This place is civil, but alot of message boards are not like this. Some I have been to are so bad you can get attacked for asking a question or simply having a disagreement with someone. And I don't even want to get started on some of the comments I have seen on Youtube. 8-P

Alot of people just don't care what they say online, because since no one knows who they are, they know they will never have to account for it. The truth is, I never knew there were so many stupid people in the world until I got the internet.

Written By: Davester on 07/16/08 at 12:38 am

I agree with you 100%.

This place is civil, but alot of message boards are not like this. Some I have been to are so bad you can get attacked for asking a question or simply having a disagreement with someone. And I don't even want to get started on some of the comments I have seen on Youtube. 8-P

Alot of people just don't care what they say online, because since no one knows who they are, they know they will never have to account for it. The truth is, I never knew there were so many stupid people in the world until I got the internet.

Karma for being such a patient guy...

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/16/08 at 9:02 am

I agree that the internet has given us hordes of dumbasses like Josh, but keep in mind that he was born in 1993, and technically is part of my generation, and I know TONS of people around my age who would never say the stupid things that this kid has said. Nearly all of the kids in my school had high speed internet at home, but we went outside, to Wegmans (a GREAT chill spot here in Irondequoit), or the mall regardless. I rarely check my cell phone (I don't even have texting, and I normally use my home phone for calling), I only listen to my iPod when I'm not near my CD's or laptop, I'm not on AIM often, and as of now I have no Myspace  8-P or Facebook. What you hear and see from the media is only one side of things, and keep in mind that since the media in general is geared toward kids from 11 - 14, you're bound to hear some ridiculous things no matter what (they're preteens for Gods sake, they're not going to do the most intelligent things  ::)). Personally, I'm more concerned with most of my generation being completely unaware of the media exploitation that is centered around them, and that could mean very bad things in years to come. To be completely honest, I'm more anti-Y, but still I must inform you that, as grim as things seem, you're statement seems far more pessimistic (even if it's understandable) than what the situation is. And hey, even if the internet has shat out awful emo bands and Soulja Boy, it is helping the indpendent community gain an upper hand on the major labels, who have been exploiting music since the late 70's  :).

Written By: tv on 07/16/08 at 9:24 am

Hi,
bye ttyl   
I grew up in the 80's and 90's and how were we able to survive without the internet? Well we had newspapers to read and sitcoms too watch. We had good music to listen too on the radio.

Written By: tv on 07/16/08 at 9:31 am

George Bush

Dick Cheney

Condoleezza Rice

FEMA-gate

The $5.00 gallon of gas

Paris Hilton

The Britneygeist

TMZ.com

and September 11, 2001.

5.00$ gas is more of a late 00's thing. Your right I could do without TMZ, Britney 24/7, Vh1 losing its credibility, Sub Prime Mortgage Crisis and the Iraq War.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/16/08 at 12:54 pm

I agree that the internet has given us hordes of dumbasses like Josh, but keep in mind that he was born in 1993, and technically is part of my generation, and I know TONS of people around my age who would never say the stupid things that this kid has said. Nearly all of the kids in my school had high speed internet at home, but we went outside, to Wegmans (a GREAT chill spot here in Irondequoit), or the mall regardless. I rarely check my cell phone (I don't even have texting, and I normally use my home phone for calling), I only listen to my iPod when I'm not near my CD's or laptop, I'm not on AIM often, and as of now I have no Myspace  8-P or Facebook. What you hear and see from the media is only one side of things, and keep in mind that since the media in general is geared toward kids from 11 - 14, you're bound to hear some ridiculous things no matter what (they're preteens for Gods sake, they're not going to do the most intelligent things  ::)). Personally, I'm more concerned with most of my generation being completely unaware of the media exploitation that is centered around them, and that could mean very bad things in years to come. To be completely honest, I'm more anti-Y, but still I must inform you that, as grim as things seem, you're statement seems far more pessimistic (even if it's understandable) than what the situation is. And hey, even if the internet has shat out awful emo bands and Soulja Boy, it is helping the indpendent community gain an upper hand on the major labels, who have been exploiting music since the late 70's  :).

I have a hard time considering this guy a part of my generation, even though I guess technically he may be. I don't like to lump everyone together like this, but I have yet to meet one person born from the mid '90s foward that I can relate to. The few people that I have met born in 1993/'94 or later seem to be alot like this "Josh" guy, totally clueless on what life was like before the internet and iPod's were widespread. Once again this is not meant to offend anyone because I know that not everyone is exactly the same, but people born in the early '90s seem to me to be the last age group that can comprehend what life was like before the "digital age".

I mean, i'm only about 6 or 7 years older than this guy, but his post made me feel like a grandfather. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/17/08 at 10:56 am

I have a hard time considering this guy a part of my generation, even though I guess technically he may be. I don't like to lump everyone together like this, but I have yet to meet one person born from the mid '90s foward that I can relate to. The few people that I have met born in 1993/'94 or later seem to be alot like this "Josh" guy, totally clueless on what life was like before the internet and iPod's were widespread. Once again this is not meant to offend anyone because I know that not everyone is exactly the same, but people born in the early '90s seem to me to be the last age group that can comprehend what life was like before the "digital age".

I mean, i'm only about 6 or 7 years older than this guy, but his post made me feel like a grandfather. ;D

I see what you mean. I have a cousin born in 1994 who complains like it's nobodies business whenever she isn't allowed to go online. I always tell her to shut the hell up and go outside, but she refuses because she's ignorant like the stereotypical late Gen-Yer. I too am bewildered everytime I see this sheesh happen, and the fact that someone not even 4 years younger than me, much less RELATED to me, makes such a fool of herself really scares me. Like I said, I know a lot of people around that age who would never act like that (my other cousin, born in 1996, goes outside whenever he gets the chance and is more or less only online when he's on XBox Live), but still, it seems like the proportion of idiots has gone up tremendously within the past few years. I always thought that MY OWN age group was totally lost, but then I started noticing the unbridled strupidty of kids like Josh911...it's almost impossible to comprehend. I truly hope all this Myspace and "I need to be online ALL THE TIME" sheesh gets backlashed in the next decade, because if not then I don't see the following generations being any smarter than the current one...and that's a reality that I'm not too ready to face.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 07/18/08 at 2:02 pm

I see what you mean. I have a cousin born in 1994 who complains like it's nobodies business whenever she isn't allowed to go online. I always tell her to shut the hell up and go outside, but she refuses because she's ignorant like the stereotypical late Gen-Yer. I too am bewildered everytime I see this sheesh happen, and the fact that someone not even 4 years younger than me, much less RELATED to me, makes such a fool of herself really scares me. Like I said, I know a lot of people around that age who would never act like that (my other cousin, born in 1996, goes outside whenever he gets the chance and is more or less only online when he's on XBox Live), but still, it seems like the proportion of idiots has gone up tremendously within the past few years. I always thought that MY OWN age group was totally lost, but then I started noticing the unbridled strupidty of kids like Josh911...it's almost impossible to comprehend. I truly hope all this Myspace and "I need to be online ALL THE TIME" sheesh gets backlashed in the next decade, because if not then I don't see the following generations being any smarter than the current one...and that's a reality that I'm not too ready to face.

Well, not to play devil's advocate, but just to offer some perspective:  I remember when I was a kid, I always thought my own generation (I was Class of 1994,) already heralded the decline of the western civilization as we know it.  So many of the kids I knew from school seemed dumb, arrogant, shallow, incurious to the world around them, you name it.  In fact, specifically, I remember watching Star Trek II one time, during the scene where Spock gives Kirk a copy of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities," and I thought to myself, hell, if this is supposed to be 300 years from now, God only knows how society will have to reset itself for people in the future to even care about reading anything like that.  Because I couldn't imagine any of the kids I knew bothering to read Dickens without having a gun to their head just 30 years down the road.  It just seemed like everyone was getting dumber and dumber, and happier all the time to do so.

Now, as a semi-adult, I'm starting to see some promise in my generation, and I see echoes of my previous thoughts in the current youth culture: still a lot of incurious, arrogant bravado; they'd rather have anything handed to them than get up and get it themselves (the Wall-E generation?)  But that also will change, I'm sure.  I think it's more about individual people making a change than the common mindset of the generation.  Like Machine He@d's post... sounds a lot like the things I used to think about my generation.  But he's one of the good guys, and I can tell he's holding out for something better.  That's what will actually make a difference in the world, I think: the small number of individuals insisting on a higher standard from those around them.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/08 at 8:36 pm

Well, not to play devil's advocate, but just to offer some perspective:  I remember when I was a kid, I always thought my own generation (I was Class of 1994,) already heralded the decline of the western civilization as we know it.  So many of the kids I knew from school seemed dumb, arrogant, shallow, incurious to the world around them, you name it.  In fact, specifically, I remember watching Star Trek II one time, during the scene where Spock gives Kirk a copy of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities," and I thought to myself, hell, if this is supposed to be 300 years from now, God only knows how society will have to reset itself for people in the future to even care about reading anything like that.  Because I couldn't imagine any of the kids I knew bothering to read Dickens without having a gun to their head just 30 years down the road.  It just seemed like everyone was getting dumber and dumber, and happier all the time to do so.

Now, as a semi-adult, I'm starting to see some promise in my generation, and I see echoes of my previous thoughts in the current youth culture: still a lot of incurious, arrogant bravado; they'd rather have anything handed to them than get up and get it themselves (the Wall-E generation?)  But that also will change, I'm sure.  I think it's more about individual people making a change than the common mindset of the generation.  Like Machine He@d's post... sounds a lot like the things I used to think about my generation.  But he's one of the good guys, and I can tell he's holding out for something better.  That's what will actually make a difference in the world, I think: the small number of individuals insisting on a higher standard from those around them.

Great post, and you make an excellent point. Your generation was put down all the time in the '80s and '90s as being apathetic slackers. The fact is, the last three generations (the Boomers, Gen X, and now Gen Y) have all been criticized and looked down upon by the older people of the time.  I do have some concerns about the generation after mine, though. The kids that I see are online too much, and don't seem to enjoy going outside and playing as much as kids did when I was that age. That alone may not be a huge deal, but it does take some of the fun out of childhood I suppose. I'm actually glad I didn't have the internet until I was a teenager.

On the other hand I do have alot of hope for the current generation and the next one as well. As those of us born in the '70s and '80s continue to get older and take positions of authority, things of the past that died down years before we were born like racism and sexism will hopefully be stamped out in the future. The civil rights movement ended about 15 years before I was born, because of that people my age have never know the era of segregation. It may seem remarkable to us today that a woman and a black man can run for President, but to the kids of today and those that haven't been born yet, it won't be anything out of the ordinary 15 or 20 years from now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/21/08 at 8:11 pm

;D

I know what you mean, but even forgetting this Josh dude for a minute, I think when you experience a huge difference with someone (kinda) close in age to you, that's bizarre.

Not so much today, but a few years ago people born around 1985 used to make me feel like an old dude by comparison. Like when I'd take college classes with 17 and 18 year olds when I was about 21, I got along with them totally fine in terms of personality, but I'd get kinda depressed when I'd talk to them about things I liked or grew up with. Them not digging the '80s or saying "oh that's before my time" made me feel like there was a generation gap. Keep in mind too, that I'm more old-school than most people my age, so that was like two strikes in one.

I know some guys around your age Machine Head (that's about the youngest age I'm familar with from firsthand experience), and MOST of them aren't as old-school or enlightened as you are. I used to work retail and earlier this year, there was a dude born in 1988 who was talking about the reality shows on VH1. I mentioned how I watched it as a kid when it was mostly videos, and he had no idea what I was talking about. That gave me a weird alien feeling too, which is probably how people like this Josh kid make you feel.

Then again I've been called "old school" by people older than myself too (like this 29 year old guy I know said that once, lol), so I think it's just that people like us feel generation gaps faster than a "typical person" our ages would since we have more attachment to our childhood. Or we're just generally more in tune and appreciative of "the past".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/08 at 10:12 pm

;D

I know what you mean, but even forgetting this Josh dude for a minute, I think when you experience a huge difference with someone (kinda) close in age to you, that's bizarre.

Not so much today, but a few years ago people born around 1985 used to make me feel like an old dude by comparison. Like when I'd take college classes with 17 and 18 year olds when I was about 21, I got along with them totally fine in terms of personality, but I'd get kinda depressed when I'd talk to them about things I liked or grew up with. Them not digging the '80s or saying "oh that's before my time" made me feel like there was a generation gap. Keep in mind too, that I'm more old-school than most people my age, so that was like two strikes in one.

I know some guys around your age Machine Head (that's about the youngest age I'm familar with from firsthand experience), and MOST of them aren't as old-school or enlightened as you are. I used to work retail and earlier this year, there was a dude born in 1988 who was talking about the reality shows on VH1. I mentioned how I watched it as a kid when it was mostly videos, and he had no idea what I was talking about. That gave me a weird alien feeling too, which is probably how people like this Josh kid make you feel.

Then again I've been called "old school" by people older than myself too (like this 29 year old guy I know said that once, lol), so I think it's just that people like us feel generation gaps faster than a "typical person" our ages would since we have more attachment to our childhood. Or we're just generally more in tune and appreciative of "the past".

Yeah, most people around my age aren't nearly as old-school as I am. Most of my friends do have some nostalgia for the '80s and early '90s, but only for the kids stuff like cartoons and video games, not so much for the music and pop culture which was, for the most part, before our time.

Usually though, there is just sort of a natural age gap when your talking about someone that's 21 and someone that 14 (for example, I'm college age and he's just entering high school) but that's not something that would really be that big of a deal years down the road when I'm like 57 and he's 50.

I do wonder though if the internet and the new digital era will create a slight generation gap between people born in the '80s, and those born in the '90s after 1993 or '94. Things like the 'net, cell phones, iPods, and the like still seem like very new technology to me, and are all things that I didn't even use until my teenage years, which is totally different than someone born in the mid '90s or later that has very limited knowledge of a world without them.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/21/08 at 10:30 pm

Yeah, most people around my age aren't nearly as old-school as I am. Most of my friends do have some nostalgia for the '80s and early '90s, but only for the kids stuff like cartoons and video games, not so much for the music and pop culture which was, for the most part, before our time.

Usually though, there is just sort of a natural age gap when your talking about someone that's 21 and someone that 14 (for example, I'm college age and he's just entering high school) but that's not something that would really be that big of a deal years down the road when I'm like 57 and he's 50.

I do wonder though if the internet and the new digital era will create a slight generation gap between people born in the '80s, and those born in the '90s after 1993 or '94. Things like the 'net, cell phones, iPods, and the like still seem like very new technology to me, and are all things that I didn't even use until my teenage years, which is totally different than someone born in the mid '90s or later that has very limited knowledge of a world without them.

Yeah, I think all this technology (i.e. ipods, cellphones, Myspace) will definitely make a difference with generation gaps seeming really obvious. Texting in particular seems to be a really annoying "clique" thing with teens, and some adults too. You can appreciate something more if tou remember when it was new and special. People who adapted to something are less likely to take it for granted.

I don't want to nitpick it again, but yeah I'd say people born in the early 1990s are the last generation who can have some firsthand appreciation for the "old world" before the Internet and other tech was widespread, or who played outside as young kids more often. I didn't go online until I was 14 and a half, so it'll always seem kinda new to me, even if it's really not anymore.

P.S. I know what you mean about age gaps being less evident with time. 14 and 21 is a notable difference anyway, but when you've got extra stuff separating it (i.e. his lack of appreciation or knowledge of anything predating the Internet) that makes it seem a million times bigger, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/08 at 10:53 pm

Yeah, I think all this technology (i.e. ipods, cellphones, Myspace) will definitely make a difference with generation gaps seeming really obvious. Texting in particular seems to be a really annoying "clique" thing with teens, and some adults too. You can appreciate something more if tou remember when it was new and special. People who adapted to something are less likely to take it for granted.

I don't want to nitpick it again, but yeah I'd say people born in the early 1990s are the last generation who can have some firsthand appreciation for the "old world" before the Internet and other tech was widespread, or who played outside as young kids more often. I didn't go online until I was 14 and a half, so it'll always seem kinda new to me, even if it's really not anymore.

P.S. I know what you mean about age gaps being less evident with time. 14 and 21 is a notable difference anyway, but when you've got extra stuff separating it (i.e. his lack of appreciation or knowledge of anything predating the Internet) that makes it seem a million times bigger, lol.

I have a cell phone, but for some reason I don't use the text message feature very often. It's convenient if you have something to tell someone quick, or if your in a situation were you cant call someone, but all these people that send like 100 messages a day are taking it to a bit of an extreme. I know I have seen some tv shows that have teens texting each other in the same room. Hopefully that's just an exaggeration for television. ;D

I guess in a way I can see where the guy is coming from though. The way that he feels about the internet is sort of like how I felt about television. When I was growing up my parents and grandparents would always tell me what life was like without it and I couldn't imagine how hard it must have been to have to listen to the radio for entertainment. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/27/08 at 8:27 am

I have a cell phone, but for some reason I don't use the text message feature very often. It's convenient if you have something to tell someone quick, or if your in a situation were you cant call someone, but all these people that send like 100 messages a day are taking it to a bit of an extreme. I know I have seen some tv shows that have teens texting each other in the same room. Hopefully that's just an exaggeration for television. ;D

I guess in a way I can see where the guy is coming from though. The way that he feels about the internet is sort of like how I felt about television. When I was growing up my parents and grandparents would always tell me what life was like without it and I couldn't imagine how hard it must have been to have to listen to the radio for entertainment. ;D

I don't even use my cell phone that often, and I NEVER text (I can receive them without paying, which is great because I GET them a lot, but I would never pay extra to have it when I could just talk to someone - which in my opinion is much less anonymous and, for lack of a better word, more intimate than texting). I don't understand the big deal about texting anyway. I mean, yes it is faster and you don't have to worry about lack of reception or trouble hearing the person you're talking to, but it just takes the emotion out of speaking to a person and makes it seem, I don't know, less human I guess.

And dude, to be honest I kinda feel that my age group is stuck trying to figure out whether we fit into the '85-88ers or '93-96ers. You guys were pretty much the last group of people to center around the TV in terms of entertainment and the last group of people to actually use CD players into high school. Josh and his peers, on the other hand, started using the internet excessively as early as 9 or 10 years old (remember, AIM and high speed internet all came to the forefront around '03 or '04) and had advanced MP3 players available to them around the same time as well. They text because they've had the option shoved down they're throats since before Jr. high, so it's no wonder they all do it. My age group on the other hand kinda seems to be split. It wasn't until I was 14 that I got an MP3 Player, and I remember when Nickelodeon still played great cartoons, but I also see all of my friends texting each other and using Facebook like its nobodies business. They're not as glued to it as a modern 14 year old is, but I'm sure that back when you were 18 your friends didn't even have a Myspace or Facebook. I also notice that my age group tends to be far more old school than yours or Josh's (again, that's just my take on it, I could be wrong), so that also makes things more confusing. So, what do you think my friends and are closer to: you earlier Yers or the mid 90's Y/Z cusp?

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 3:07 pm

If we are talking about generation gaps and technology I'm not too sure, let's broaden the spectrum a little. The major reason why there were obvious generation gaps between the 1920s and 1990s was so much advancement was made between those years (we must remember that the television as we know it is only 90 years old). I couldn't imagine anything happening on that scale between now and 2080. People living around those times mainly (not all) had closed minds about using technology either because they were scared of it or because they believed that they couldn't operate it. I doubt we will see that kind of bewilderment again.

Heh heh, it's funny to hear a young man say; 'It wasn't like this when I was a lad' . . .

I think appreciation for playing outside is up to the child and not technology. When I was young there were computers and stuff I could easily have stayed in the house for but I chose to play out with my mates.  I am sure there are plenty of children out there who would rather experience than read about it on an internet site.

I believe there will always be age gaps (I laugh when I think into the future about all those old women with tattoos at the bottom of their back . . .) but they will be nowhere near as obvious as in past generations.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/27/08 at 3:51 pm

I don't even use my cell phone that often, and I NEVER text (I can receive them without paying, which is great because I GET them a lot, but I would never pay extra to have it when I could just talk to someone - which in my opinion is much less anonymous and, for lack of a better word, more intimate than texting). I don't understand the big deal about texting anyway. I mean, yes it is faster and you don't have to worry about lack of reception or trouble hearing the person you're talking to, but it just takes the emotion out of speaking to a person and makes it seem, I don't know, less human I guess.

And dude, to be honest I kinda feel that my age group is stuck trying to figure out whether we fit into the '85-88ers or '93-96ers. You guys were pretty much the last group of people to center around the TV in terms of entertainment and the last group of people to actually use CD players into high school. Josh and his peers, on the other hand, started using the internet excessively as early as 9 or 10 years old (remember, AIM and high speed internet all came to the forefront around '03 or '04) and had advanced MP3 players available to them around the same time as well. They text because they've had the option shoved down they're throats since before Jr. high, so it's no wonder they all do it. My age group on the other hand kinda seems to be split. It wasn't until I was 14 that I got an MP3 Player, and I remember when Nickelodeon still played great cartoons, but I also see all of my friends texting each other and using Facebook like its nobodies business. They're not as glued to it as a modern 14 year old is, but I'm sure that back when you were 18 your friends didn't even have a Myspace or Facebook. I also notice that my age group tends to be far more old school than yours or Josh's (again, that's just my take on it, I could be wrong), so that also makes things more confusing. So, what do you think my friends and are closer to: you earlier Yers or the mid 90's Y/Z cusp?

Well, I would say overall that your age group is probably closer to us than anybody born in the mid '90s. First of all, you guys have a much better appreciation and memory of the '90s which puts you closer to us because pretty much everybody I know around my age group loves the '90s. Also, you guys went through a good portion of your childhoods without the internet (even though that is just generally speaking and some people have had internet access much longer than others like the parents of somebody I went to school with got a computer with internet access when he was about 7 or 8 years old back around 1994 or so).

When I was 18, Myspace was a very new thing and I don't think anybody that I knew had a page. It took off about a year later I believe, and some of the people I went to school with did create a page so I did as well. It was a good way to still talk to them since we had graduated and didn't get to see each other as often, but it's not something I use much. Some of my friends have adapted very well to the new technologies, but many of us (myself included) haven't adapted as quickly. Actually, I would say that most people I knew followed about the same path as me. I didn't really start using the internet alot until my junior year of high school (2003-2004), and I didn't get an MP3 player or a computer of my own with high speed internet until I was around 19.

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 4:01 pm

And dude, to be honest I kinda feel that my age group is stuck trying to figure out whether we fit into the '85-88ers or '93-96ers . . . I also notice that my age group tends to be far more old school than yours or Josh's (again, that's just my take on it, I could be wrong), so that also makes things more confusing. So, what do you think my friends and are closer to: you earlier Yers or the mid 90's Y/Z cusp?

???

At risk of sounding insensitive, why do you folks feel the need to categorise yourselves into some chronological capsule? It's almost like you are going through some identity crisis or something.  :(

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/27/08 at 4:50 pm

???

At risk of sounding insensitive, why do you folks feel the need to categorise yourselves into some chronological capsule? It's almost like you are going through some identity crisis or something.  :(

To be honest, I think the whole of Generation Y is going through a major identity crisis right now. The same thing happened to Gen X in the late 80's when they started representing a good chunk of consumers. It's happenned with every generation since the Baby Boomers, since all we have when we start finding ourselves are the leftovers of the previous generation and/or whatever those running the entertainment industry want to shove down our throats. Eventually young people get sick of it and want something that they can call their own, whether it be Rock n' Roll, Psychadelic Rock, New Wave, or Grunge. Since Glam Rap and Emo are really starting to get backlashed, I personally can't wait to see what true potential my generation has bubbling under the surface just waiting to explode  :D

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 5:01 pm

To be honest, I think the whole of Generation Y is going through a major identity crisis right now. The same thing happened to Gen X in the late 80's when they started representing a good chunk of consumers. It's happenned with every generation since the Baby Boomers, since all we have when we start finding ourselves are the leftovers of the previous generation and/or whatever those running the entertainment industry want to shove down our throats. Eventually young people get sick of it and want something that they can call their own, whether it be Rock n' Roll, Psychadelic Rock, New Wave, or Grunge. Since Glam Rap and Emo are really starting to get backlashed, I personally can't wait to see what true potential my generation has bubbling under the surface just waiting to explode  :D

Now, I appreciate my thinking is probably a 360 degree turn from yours and Marty McFly's and I think it's because I spent so much time analysing my own chronology at your ages and it got me nowhere. I spent time thinking about the different stages of my life - the 1984 - 1986 period where I lived in Walker Avenue, the 1987 period of unrest, 1988 - 1990 the Fourth Avenue years, 1990 the year I lived with my nan and grandad and I wouldn't care about anything after 1991 . . .

. . . This is why it saddens me to see people like yourself thinking this way. My chronology was a personal one so how much impersonal is it to analyse something that:

1. Makes you lose focus on your own individual identity?

2. Is out of your hands anyway?

The only potential you can count on is your own.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/27/08 at 5:11 pm

Now, I appreciate my thinking is probably a 360 degree turn from yours and Marty McFly's and I think it's because I spent so much time analysing my own chronology at your ages and it got me nowhere. I spent time thinking about the different stages of my life - the 1984 - 1986 period where I lived in Walker Avenue, the 1987 period of unrest, 1988 - 1990 the Fourth Avenue years, 1990 the year I lived with my nan and grandad and I wouldn't care about anything after 1991 . . .

. . . This is why it saddens me to see people like yourself thinking this way. My chronology was a personal one so how much impersonal is it to analyse something that:

1. Makes you lose focus on your own individual identity?

2. Is out of your hands anyway?

The only potential you can count on is your own.

I'm not saying I don't pay attention to my own life and progress, I definitely don't want to follow anybody, but I'm just interested in seeing what my generation can do. I'll make sure not to lose focus of my own life because I know that could definitely lead to some major personal problems down the road and I know that if I follow something because it's big or a fad I'll just end up looking down on myself in years to come (some of relatives who used to listen to disco do that). Don't worry, I'm just excited because all the crap from this decade is finally on its way out and we're about to have a new musical movement (whether it'll actually be good music? Nobody knows, but if it's anything like grunge it'll be totally against everything that was big prior to it, and if that means anti-emo rock and anti-glam rap then I'm all for it).

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 5:31 pm

I'm not saying I don't pay attention to my own life and progress, I definitely don't want to follow anybody, but I'm just interested in seeing what my generation can do. I'll make sure not to lose focus of my own life because I know that could definitely lead to some major personal problems down the road and I know that if I follow something because it's big or a fad I'll just end up looking down on myself in years to come (some of relatives who used to listen to disco do that). Don't worry, I'm just excited because all the crap from this decade is finally on its way out and we're about to have a new musical movement (whether it'll actually be good music? Nobody knows, but if it's anything like grunge it'll be totally against everything that was big prior to it, and if that means anti-emo rock and anti-glam rap then I'm all for it).

This is what concerned me and why I wrote what I wrote:

"I also notice that my age group tends to be far more old school than yours or Josh's (again, that's just my take on it, I could be wrong), so that also makes things more confusing. So, what do you think my friends and are closer to: you earlier Yers or the mid 90's Y/Z cusp?"

I am glad that you are not using sections of years as a means to gauge your life. You are worth more than if you are a generation between 1985-1989 or 1990-1996 or whatever . . . in respect to what overtakes what, I have felt for a long time now that something crap usually replaces something crap. Does this mean I am pessimistic of the present and the future? Well . . . A little but this is why I say it is important for you to concentrate on your own potential because you can overturn the crap out there into something memorable. :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/27/08 at 6:43 pm

???

On my part, it is more or less analysis as opposed to categorizing. I do not believe that everyone within a set period of years (like 1985-1990 or 1990-1995) are exactly alike, but because they are close in age, many of them do have alot in common, especially throughout middle and high school when your under alot of pressure to fit in with others around your age so you get into the same trends/fashion/music/etc.

I am the same way. In many ways, I'm different than alot of people around my age (for example, I like more older music than some of my friends do) but at the same time we also have alot in common because since are so close in age, we grew up at the same time.

But yeah, it's probably not fair to group everyone together like that. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 7:02 pm

On my part, it is more or less analysis as opposed to categorizing. I do not believe that everyone within a set period of years (like 1985-1990 or 1990-1995) are exactly alike, but because they are close in age, many of them do have alot in common, especially throughout middle and high school when your under alot of pressure to fit in with others around your age so you get into the same trends/fashion/music/etc.

I appreciate that analysis does tend to break things down into simplified states in order to understand them better and understand that people who are within certain decades tend to have more of a connection than in others.

I am the same way. In many ways, I'm different than alot of people around my age (for example, I like more older music than some of my friends do) but at the same time we also have alot in common because since are so close in age, we grew up at the same time.

But yeah, it's probably not fair to group everyone together like that. ;)

My post wasn't exactly to criticize you all for grouping people together, I really was bothered (Vegatto's post was the clincher) that you folks are using this system of yours to work out your own identity. I mean, I like my 80s things in general, but is that because my generation says I should? Nope, it's because I enjoy what it had to offer and the memories it gave me - nothing more, nothing less. :)

In this context, analysis is like looking at life through a jigsaw piece instead of completing the puzzle yourself to find the big picture.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/08 at 8:19 pm

Without getting into a huge analysis here's what I think makes people interested in the birthyears and categorizations thing (or why I've gotten into it myself in the past).

It seems like youth used to be more similar to each other in terms of liking something. For instance my mom says just about EVERY kid in middle and high school in the late '60s loved the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and just basically any cool stuff of that time, and collectively thought their parents were squares lol.

Nowadys it's more individual to each person which probably starts with people born around the late 1970s, and especially the mid-late '80s (someone like me is transitional). Everyone's more unique and into their own thing now, so I guess it's interesting to try and draw some kind of comparisons to semi generations to see what's common or not, since you never really know. To me it's interesting, to look at everyone's unique experiences.

And yeah, like MachineHead said, even if you're different to your peers in some ways, if you grew up at the same time, chances are you'll have some common ground. Even if just in terms of technology or certain stuff you warmed to or didn't.

That being said, I don't need the year I was born in to tell me what I'm supposed to like or how I should feel, lol. ;) Sometimes people take it too seriously, even if it's just meant in good fun most of the time.

What can annoy me in these types of threads is when people start talking about a certain age like it's factual. Like "oh you were born in 1984, MTV is before your time or you wouldn't like the Ninja Turtles" and crap like that. ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/31/08 at 9:55 pm

Without getting into a huge analysis here's what I think makes people interested in the birthyears and categorizations thing (or why I've gotten into it myself in the past).

It seems like youth used to be more similar to each other in terms of liking something. For instance my mom says just about EVERY kid in middle and high school in the late '60s loved the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and just basically any cool stuff of that time, and collectively thought their parents were squares lol.

Nowadys it's more individual to each person which probably starts with people born around the late 1970s, and especially the mid-late '80s (someone like me is transitional). Everyone's more unique and into their own thing now, so I guess it's interesting to try and draw some kind of comparisons to semi generations to see what's common or not, since you never really know. To me it's interesting, to look at everyone's unique experiences.

And yeah, like MachineHead said, even if you're different to your peers in some ways, if you grew up at the same time, chances are you'll have some common ground. Even if just in terms of technology or certain stuff you warmed to or didn't.

That being said, I don't need the year I was born in to tell me what I'm supposed to like or how I should feel, lol. ;) Sometimes people take it too seriously, even if it's just meant in good fun most of the time.

What can annoy me in these types of threads is when people start talking about a certain age like it's factual. Like "oh you were born in 1984, MTV is before your time or you wouldn't like the Ninja Turtles" and crap like that. ;D

Yeah, I hate stuff like that too. For one example, I have had people tell me before that "I don't know a time before cable television" which for me isn't true. We still only got the three broadcast networks until I was almost 8 years old. Sure, most people already had cable by then, but not everybody and we were some of the ones who didn't. I try not to make assumptions like that about others younger than me because I remember how much it used to bother me, but sometimes it can be hard not to. Like, its hard for me to imagine somebody born after 1994 or so not growing up with the internet since pretty much everybody had it by 2000, but you have to remember that not everybody did have it and some still don't.

It is true that we are the most like people that were born within a two to three year span of us (for me I would say about 1985-1989) because we grew up right around the same time and tend to get into the same things pop culturally at the same time, but not everyone is the same.

Like my little brother was born in 1991 and he's even more old school than I am. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/08 at 10:39 pm

Yeah, I hate stuff like that too. For one example, I have had people tell me before that "I don't know a time before cable television" which for me isn't true. We still only got the three broadcast networks until I was almost 8 years old. Sure, most people already had cable by then, but not everybody and we were some of the ones who didn't. I try not to make assumptions like that about others younger than me because I remember how much it used to bother me, but sometimes it can be hard not to. Like, its hard for me to imagine somebody born after 1994 or so not growing up with the internet since pretty much everybody had it by 2000, but you have to remember that not everybody did have it and some still don't.

It is true that we are the most like people that were born within a two to three year span of us (for me I would say about 1985-1989) because we grew up right around the same time and tend to get into the same things pop culturally at the same time, but not everyone is the same.

Like my little brother was born in 1991 and he's even more old school than I am. :D

I agree. :)

Sort of a tangent point here, but I think people who live in the country or a more rural area tend to be more old-school, since lots of times your area may not be as up to date. Like even in the '90s lots of people still didn't have cable (as you were saying) and as widespread as the Internet is now, there's still people who don't have it or barely go on.

I grew up in a suburban area (a few actually, 'cause we moved around a bit) so I guess for me it was a bit of both, lol. I might've liked lots of songs and video games in the real '80s but I wouldnt say I was "pop culturally observant" at all until I was 9 and started a new school. I knew about lots more things just from hearing kids at school or watching tv.

Written By: take_it_to_the_grave on 08/08/08 at 7:36 pm

'80s and '90s > '00s ;)
i was born in the 80s and living without the internet was actually a great thing actually got to see the person you were talking too had less fat people on the planet better music rap is gay

Check for new replies or respond here...