inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "King of Wishful Thinking" - Go West (1990)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/08 at 11:10 pm

This is like GOOD pop/dance music from then...fun and upbeat, but not stupid. It was one of my favorite songs back then, and I think it's a good snapshot of the '80s turning into the '90s (it sounds new wave but more polished).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4iwzS4Na0

Subject: Re: "King of Wishful Thinking" - Go West (1990)

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 11:15 pm

Go West - Peter Cox (vocals) and Richard Drummie (vocals, guitar)

It was a very good song yes.  At the time when that song came out (and even still today), many people assume(d) that Go West was a new group.  I knew they weren't, because I used to see the video for their 1985 hit 'Call Me' all the time on TV (MuchMusic)

A little something for woops:  Richard Drummie did production work on Debbie Gibson's 1997 release 'Deborah' :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/07/08 at 11:22 pm

Go West - Peter Cox (vocals) and Richard Drummie (vocals, guitar)

It was a very good song yes.  At the time when that song came out (and even still today), many people assume(d) that Go West was a new group.  I knew they weren't, because I used to see the video for their 1985 hit 'Call Me' all the time on TV (MuchMusic)

Yeah I never heard of them before that (then again I was only 8 lol), although I now love their earlier songs like "We Close Our Eyes". They had another song around early '93 called "Faithful" which I always loved, too (it still sounds '80s).

A little something for woops:  Richard Drummie did production work on Debbie Gibson's 1997 release 'Deborah' :)

Uh oh Jason, now you're gonna call him out. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 11:32 pm

Yeah I never heard of them before that (then again I was only 8 lol), although I now love their earlier songs like "We Close Our Eyes". They had another song around early '93 called "Faithful" which I always loved, too (it still sounds '80s).

'Faithful' was their 7th out of 8 US hits total; their third and final US Top 40 hit and came from their 3rd studio album 'Indian Summer'.  I was never a big fan of that album because it was an A/C cross-over, which I thought took away from their 80s pop songs they had in the 80s.  They sounded better on pop songs than soft-rock ballad types. 

In their native UK, they had 13 hits (8 Top 40 and 5 non Top 40)

Ever see the music video for 'We Close Our Eyes'?  It was animated and directed by Kevin Godley and Lol Creme (of 10cc, and their own solo hit 'Cry').  Had the song been a bigger hit in the US, it might have given a-ha and Dire Straits a run for their money at the 1986 MTV Music Awards LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnUQaRf5sV4

Uh oh Jason, now you're gonna call him out. ;D

I wasn't thinking ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/07/08 at 11:36 pm

I thought "King of Wishful Thinking" is a fun, catchy song. Wow, that really took me back!  :)

"Faithful" was a terrific song, too!  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/08/08 at 12:09 am

I love "King Of Wishful Thinking". It's the fun, catchy epitome of what a song from 1990 sounds like. It's a bit cheesy (pretty much all the major hits from 1990 are), but its still a great song to listen too.

Written By: star500 on 06/08/08 at 4:53 pm

It was also featured on the movie Pretty Woman.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/08 at 4:57 pm

It was also featured on the movie Pretty Woman.

Yes.  It was written for that soundtrack :)

Written By: woops on 06/09/08 at 4:09 pm

I actually like "We Close Our Eyes" better  8)

Written By: robby76 on 06/14/08 at 7:56 pm

I thought "King of Wishful Thinking" is a fun, catchy song. Wow, that really took me back!  :)

"Faithful" was a terrific song, too!  :)

Yes and YES!!! Go West were a welcome relief for good pop in the 90s.

Written By: midnite on 06/19/08 at 11:38 pm

I actually like "We Close Our Eyes" better  8)

I love both songs

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/21/08 at 5:25 am

Go West, one of those great, unappreciated bands of the 80s/90s. "King of Wishful Thinking" is pure, wonderful early-90s pop at its best! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 12:41 am

I could never stand this song.

I did like "We Close Our Eyes" from 1985.

Written By: nally on 06/26/08 at 11:56 pm

I heard this song on the radio not too long ago...I think it's a good one. O0

Written By: Davester on 06/27/08 at 12:05 am

I never liked this one.  Radio looooved it...

Written By: tv on 05/09/10 at 5:28 pm

I liked "King of Wishful Thinking and "Faithful' I remember hearing those 2 songs when I was younger. I listened to "King Of Wishful Thinking" 1 month ago maybe, still sounds good for a 20 year old song.

Written By: nally on 05/09/10 at 10:45 pm

^yeah, "Faithful" was another big hit of theirs. I heard it a few weeks ago and it's a good song too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/09/10 at 10:47 pm

I love this song, a lot.

Written By: tv on 05/10/10 at 5:43 pm

They are so much more than those 2 songs "King Of Wishful Thinking" and "Faithful". I just viewed a few of their songs on you tube. "Call Me" is a pretty good song as is "Don;t Be Afraid Of Your Dreams" and "We Close Our Close Eyes". I liked their sound its kinda popified synth-pop sound if you will. At least they outlasted their 80's competition and made it in the 90's. I mean bands like "Johnny Hates Jazz", and Level 42 never saw any success in the 90's. I like this band alot(Go West.) They are very underrated. I have to find more of their music on youtube. See that....today's technology is good because I discovered music I didn;t even bother to listen too before or never even heard it. Whenever I saw a Go West song besides "Faithful", King Of Wishful Thinking", or What You Don;t For Love" I would bypass it on satlelite radio. I bypassed "We Close Our Eyes" the other night on Sattelite radio because it didn;t sound like their 90's hits. Well no more of that.

Written By: robby76 on 05/10/10 at 8:02 pm

They are so much more than those 2 songs "King Of Wishful Thinking" and "Faithful". I just viewed a few of their songs on you tube. "Call Me" is a pretty good song as is "Don;t Be Afraid Of Your Dreams" and "We Close Our Close Eyes".

"Don't Look Down" was another good hit of theirs from the 80s. Peter Cox has a great voice.

Check for new replies or respond here...