inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's = the 60's?

Written By: Hellsgentlemen on 06/12/08 at 12:06 am

Ok, i was having this discussion with a friend the other day and were discussing our love of the 90's, and he brought up a really good point.

The 90's seemed an aweful lot like the 60's, except you dont see it getting bagged on as much. Good music, seems like there was alot of social activism, instead of hippies we had Gen X.

I was born in 1980, and I think i was really lucky to be at the age to be like 13-14-15 yrs old and kinda establishing what i liked musically with so many great bands out. Not to mention MTV still had 120 minutes which was a huge impact on me. Kind of instilled the love of early 90's alternative and music videos into my noggin.

Subject: Re: 90's = the 60's?

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/08 at 12:09 am

The 90s = The 90s, hence that 9 instead of a 6

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 12:14 am

Donnie? ::)

Written By: Henk on 06/12/08 at 12:17 am

I was just thinking...

This brings up the age old question: will the 00's be like the 70's?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 12:23 am

I was just thinking...

This brings up the age old question: will the 00's be like the 70's?

ah gosh....must be go round this again? ;) :D ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/08 at 2:04 am

ah gosh....must be go round this again? ;) :D ;D

Don't throw the past away,
You might need it some rainy day,
Decadeology still beats spam,
When everything old is new again...

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/08 at 3:51 am

This guy sounds legitimate and not like Darko (he has a VERY distinct style). With all due respect, it wouldn't hurt to just politely point out that pop culture/decade stuff isn't allowed or only in a limited sense. Other people talk about this stuff too, and new people don't know the history of the board, or how that stuff was abused in the past.

Could we maybe "sticky" that post Red Ant made and put it in every section? That might cut down on this stuff, if indeed these are new people who might not know about it.

Oh. and to the OP - I basically agree and have though that myself too. In some ways, the grunge era seemed to parallel the Woodstock era of the late '60s and 1970ish. It was distinct and new, but you could tell it definitely had influences from then. There was alot of environmental and social activism like you said (i.e. a focus on Earth Day and recycling), and both times seemed more cutting edge/rebellious and serious at once. Both also seemed feminist-oriented, which is a good thing.

I'm a year younger than you and even though I prefer '80s music, I like alot of the songs from then too. While my early teen years weren't the best time in my life, I had some cool experiences then too, and it's nostalgic now since it's over ten years ago.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/12/08 at 11:06 am

I'll respond politely.

I think the '90s had a bit of a '60s revival to it. I mean, we brought back Woodstock in '99, the Beatles had their big anthology come out between 1995-1997, other '60s artists were still making hits - Cher, Rolling Stones, Streisand, etc. Plus, reading old Seventeen magazines makes me see we were kinda going back to the '60s in hairstyles and clothes. We weren't doing a good job of it, but we tried. I even owned a pair of knockoff Birkenstocks back in 1993. Yes, I can see a connection of some sort.

But, the '90s were VERY different, too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 11:19 am

This guy sounds legitimate and not like Darko (he has a VERY distinct style).

oh that's true..I mean you of all people would know that...beings that you defend his every move, right. ;) I must say though...you have even been wrong from time to time. ;)

anyway...carry on. :)

Written By: guest on 06/12/08 at 11:32 am

The 90s weren't the 60s at all, most of the music influences in grunge (punk, Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, other metal, indie) were 70s. In hip hop it was the same a lot of the R&B that was coming out had a distinctively 70s tone to it. Even hip hop on the West Coast was sampling Parliament Funkadelic and Bootsy Collins, both 70s artists. N'SYNC and Spice Girls at the end of the decade created a pop craze similar to disco. I think the 90s were a more accurate update on the 70s than anything else, but even the 70s and 90s are very different decades. The revival of feminist thought was very 70s, because feminism originally broke out in the 70s.

If you think about it, the whole "angst" on alternative rock at the time was pretty 70s too, in the 70s we had the misery index, double digit inflation and a deep long recession that soured the whole mood of the country. People were pretty lost in the 70s after coming down from the false hopes of the 60s. In the 90s we had a generation that grew up with divorced parents in broken homes.

If you want to get blatantly political, the 90s are in no way the 60s because in the 60s we tried all these left wing progressive social programs like the "Great Society" and the "War on Poverty." In the 90s we had Clinton, but he was more or less a triangulating centrist.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/08 at 12:53 pm

Let's stop talking about the topic - who cares anymore. I just wish I could come up with a solution for this in general. I can see this is an ongoing problem, and to be honest I think it's a little bit of both sides' fault. I tried offering an idea to sticky the "Decadeology is banned" post in every section. I just wish I could offer an opinion that helps everyone, but I'm tainted too just because I happen to like those types of threads. I really feel terrible now, because instead of helping people and uniting like I've always wanted to do, I end up hurting someone I love. :(

My final idea to everyone... is that if you see a post (like this one) which you think might be DD, just report it. The mods will find it in time and delete it and ban him again if it is. And if it's a legitimite new person, maybe the mods could send them a PM explaining about how those kind of threads aren't really allowed because they've been abused. All I'm saying is there's no need to make snipe comments, that doesn't solve anything and just adds fuel to the fire. Plus it just makes him come back again even more because he feels shunned and can't control himself. Both sides need to be more mature about this.

Written By: guest on 06/12/08 at 1:07 pm

Maybe the mods could just add a seperate section for Decadeology. On second thought that might not be a good idea.

Written By: nally on 06/12/08 at 1:08 pm

Maybe the mods could just add a seperate section for Decadaology. On second thought that might not be a good idea.

Someone offered to do that, but the moderaters banned it, because it got way too pointless and repetitive. Please see the sticky post in "More Than A Decade" for an explanation.

Written By: Tam on 06/12/08 at 1:15 pm

Someone offered to do that, but the moderaters banned it, because it got way too pointless and repetitive. Please see the sticky post in "More Than A Decade" for an explanation.

I am going to take that post and sticky/lock it in every section - that way it can also be easily pointed out. ;)

The member who started this thread... is not DARKO.
I cross referenced everything that I have and the IP is legit...
Perhaps we can find a way to give new comers a direction on acceptable and unacceptable threads/topics etc.

I understand we are jaded because of past and most likely future infiltrations, but we do sometimes have to give the benefit of the doubt....

Tam 8)

Written By: Tia on 06/12/08 at 1:37 pm

haha, this poor guy is gonna be like, wth? a web site called "inthe00s" with different boards for the 70s, 80s, 90s and today where decadeology is not allowed? we probably owe this cat an explanation.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/08 at 8:01 pm

I just wish I could come up with a solution for this in general.

solution:  let decadeology die

Written By: Tam on 06/12/08 at 8:48 pm

Herein lies the problem:
There are people who rather enjoy discussing the differences or similarities in years. We can try and curtail it all we want but in the end, it will be talked about no matter what. We can delete threads, changes the title, reverse words, do what we want to it but it still stays the same... it is decadeology. The term itself is pretty much pointless, but "nostalgia revisited" is too long. We all do it at one point or another, and I am sure we all can see similarities or differences too.
Best course of action: when you see it, ignore it. Plain and simple.
And if 'someone' does happen to come back and try to spam, use the report button. Don't reply.

I've said my peace lol

Written By: Tia on 06/12/08 at 9:05 pm

we already tried that in the 80s.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/08 at 9:25 pm

For some reason, that name came to mind when I saw this thread.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/08 at 10:01 pm

This guy sounds legitimate and not like Darko (he has a VERY distinct style). With all due respect, it wouldn't hurt to just politely point out that pop culture/decade stuff isn't allowed or only in a limited sense. Other people talk about this stuff too, and new people don't know the history of the board, or how that stuff was abused in the past.

Could we maybe "sticky" that post Red Ant made and put it in every section? That might cut down on this stuff, if indeed these are new people who might not know about it.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Alot of new people that join the site, assuming they haven't been lurking for awhile, may have no idea about the abuse that originally occured here. After all, DD was banned about 2 years ago, so if you haven't been around for awhile your not likely to know that.

The OP did at least have a slight point. There are some similarities between the '60s and the '90s, but just as someone mentioned earlier there are also similarities between the '70s and '90s as well so it's all really subjective, but I don't really have a huge problem with comparing similarities between past decades. I suppose I don't mind some "decadeology", just as long as it doesn't go into the whole "Is 1999 a part of the '00s?" or "Did the '90s really start in 1991?" type stuff that was what really flooded this site a few years ago.

Written By: Midas on 06/12/08 at 10:48 pm

haha, this poor guy is gonna be like, wth? a web site called "inthe00s" with different boards for the 70s, 80s, 90s and today where decadeology is not allowed? we probably owe this cat an explanation.  ;D

Um, no. :P  :D

Written By: Hellsgentlemen on 06/14/08 at 1:56 am

Sorry...i didnt know anything about decadeology. Just wanted to talk about what was on my mind, so im not the Darko fella. Sorry for the inconvenience..=/ :(

Written By: Henk on 06/14/08 at 2:11 am

Sorry...i didnt know anything about decadeology. Just wanted to talk about what was on my mind, so im not the Darko fella. Sorry for the inconvenience..=/ :(

Hey, it's OK... :) How on earth were you supposed to know...? I hope this doesn't keep you from posting completely.

Now to answer your question:
I wasn't around much in the 1960's (born in 1966) so I can't really compare the two decades - but even so, I feel like the 1960's and 1990's don't have that much in common. Just as much as any two other random decades, I'd say. And that's it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/14/08 at 9:52 pm

sorry man...didn't mean to insinuate that you were someone else. You are very welcome here. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...