inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I was born in '90, so am I Gen Y or later?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/14/08 at 4:08 pm

I certainly hope later, I'd hate to think that the sheeshty music of the past ten years was really caused by more or less the people I grew up with. I'm also not going to be in my twenties until 2010, so I just don't think I'd be considered part of the 00's generation anyway. But I still want to know what I'm considered.

Subject: Re: I was born in '90, so am I Gen Y or later?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/14/08 at 4:56 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y

Ant

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/08 at 5:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y

Ant

Just curious, do you or the other mods think these "birthyear/generation" topics are part of decadeology and should be banned with it?

Even if it's a little more "universal" (terms like Baby Boomers and Generation X have been around for years), it does tend to go around in circles when people talk about "Oh people born in 1975 tend to like this music" or endless loops with "This year remembers one thing, but was too young to know about that", etc.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/14/08 at 5:53 pm

Working out whether Gen Y starts in 1988, 1984 or 1993 etc can be a long and never ending discussion. But I'd say it aint decadology.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/08 at 6:40 pm

Working out whether Gen Y starts in 1988, 1984 or 1993 etc can be a long and never ending discussion. But I'd say it aint decadology.

That's true, but even though it's probably the most respectable out of all those type of topics, like you were saying, it can still go into loops forever which kinda puts it into the same category. It's one of those things that you could find anything about people born in a certain year and have it make sense to say they're an Xer or a Yer, etc...because it depends on each person's tastes and experiences.

These topics also got abused by "somebody", which is why I was thinking they should get banned too.

If somebody new wants to know about this stuff, or anyone else wants to go back into it, it's been discussed enough by lots of people (myself included) that all they have to do is read the old posts. Those should be locked too, so that they can't get bumped.

P.S. I know I defended this stuff for a long time (partially because I enjoyed them. I guess in a way I still do, because I'm analytical and organizational by nature), but it's time for them to stop. It's too bad that he ruined it for everyone permanently, but that's just the way it is.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 7:30 pm

That's true, but even though it's probably the most respectable out of all those type of topics, like you were saying, it can still go into loops forever which kinda puts it into the same category. It's one of those things that you could find anything about people born in a certain year and have it make sense to say they're an Xer or a Yer, etc...because it depends on each person's tastes and experiences.

These topics also got abused by "somebody", which is why I was thinking they should get banned too.

If somebody new wants to know about this stuff, or anyone else wants to go back into it, it's been discussed enough by lots of people (myself included) that all they have to do is read the old posts. Those should be locked too, so that they can't get bumped.

P.S. I know I defended this stuff for a long time (partially because I enjoyed them. I guess in a way I still do, because I'm analytical and organizational by nature), but it's time for them to stop. It's too bad that he ruined it for everyone permanently, but that's just the way it is.

Yes, I agree. I also enjoyed discussing this type of thing (and at least somewhat still do) but it's just one of those things that could be constantly discussed with no true answer, especially around the beginning or ending years. Like, it's pretty much universal that 1970 is in Generation X, but did it start in 1964 or 1957? Or end in 1979 or 1980? There's no way to say for sure.

That being said, I will try to answer the OP question without getting into the whole birth year thing. I think that Generation Y pretty much means anyone old enough to remember 9/11, but young enough to have attended high school at least at some point in the '00s, even if for only a bit of 2000 or 2009. Generation Z is mostly the children of this decade.

So yeah, technically you are probably a part of Gen Y, but that doesn't mean you have to be defined by the label. I will be in my thirties in the 2010's, but I'm sure I will still be at least somewhat involved in pop culture, and who knows, if it's better I might be even more in it than I was this decade.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/08 at 7:39 pm

^ Yeah I agree on both points. :)

Also, the thing with DD (and you might've not known) is that he comes back all the time with guest posts and/or new accounts that get deleted, even after being warned. I guess he just can't control himself. Thats' why people are so p*ssed at him and tend to shun these type of topics.

P.S. I have another idea, for people who still like this stuff - how about like a group PM? I'd be cool with talking about it that way, and it wouldn't clog up the board.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 8:09 pm

Also, the thing with DD (and you might've not known) is that he comes back all the time with guest posts and/or new accounts that get deleted, even after being warned. Thats' why people are so p*ssed at him and tend to shun these type of topics.

P.S. I have another idea, for people who still like this stuff - how about like a group PM? I'd be cool with talking about it that way, and it wouldn't clog up the board.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with some of the "decadeology" topics, the main thing that bothered me about it was that alot of times (back in the "DD Era") a discussion would turn into an argument over just a year or two. Like, someone might say they thought the last year of Generation Z was in 1995, but someone else would argue that it started in 1997. Both might have valid points, but as I said there's really no concrete year when it comes to this sort of thing, and they would usually just argue back and forth.

At first, I admit I got involved in it, but eventually it got so overdone even I got tired of it.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/14/08 at 8:30 pm

Also, the thing with DD (and you might've not known) is that he comes back all the time with guest posts and/or new accounts that get deleted, even after being warned. I guess he just can't control himself. Thats' why people are so p*ssed at him and tend to shun these type of topics.

Who is this "DD" you speak of? I'm curious... ???

Written By: Red Ant on 06/14/08 at 8:40 pm

Who is this "DD" you speak of? I'm curious... ???

He's been banned about a hundred times for decadeology spam.

All I left was a link, which pretty clearly shows that 1990 is in the middle of anyone's year span for Gen Y. I didn't say anything about banning the topic, yet this thread has derailed into decadeology and banned members.

Topic locked.

Marty, a group PM or flashchat meeting for you guys is a great idea.

inthe00s.com Lead Moderator

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...