inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quantum Leap

Written By: cinnabon on 06/20/08 at 9:55 pm

Anyone remember this cool sci-fi show that aired on NBC from 1989-1993 with Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell?

I used to watch this show every week in the early 90s and I even remember a couple of times when the network would have "Quantum Leap Weeks" during the summer rerun season where they would air an episode every night 5 nights in a row.  The think I liked about this show was how Bakula's character Sam would leap into a different person's body (it could be either a man or woman) througout different eras and try to change people's lives for the better - I think they had some very good storylines with important messages.  :)

Subject: Re: Quantum Leap

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/20/08 at 10:20 pm

I LOVE Quantum Leap. I started watching it one day and just got hooked! I love it! I watched ever episode. But I didn't really like the ending though. (Don't wanan spoil it for  people who haven't seen it). But I liked the show, the premise was brilliant.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/20/08 at 10:29 pm

I used to love this show and thought Scott Bakula was adorable!

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/08 at 10:46 pm

I always liked Dean Stockwell, and he was especially great on this series :)

Written By: Gis on 06/21/08 at 4:16 am

Loved it! Watched it religiously. What a great show it was.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/08 at 9:38 am

Great show and great chemistry between Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell.

Written By: cinnabon on 06/21/08 at 2:48 pm

I always liked Dean Stockwell, and he was especially great on this series :)

Yeah I think he won a Golden Globe for best supporting actor on this show in 1990.  :)

Written By: robby76 on 06/22/08 at 6:44 am

The show itself was good - kinda like a "Voyagers" for the 90s. Scott Bakula always annoys me, but I looked past that. :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/08 at 8:06 pm

The show itself was good - kinda like a "Voyagers" for the 90s. Scott Bakula always annoys me, but I looked past that. :)

It was way better than Voyagers.  I really liked the way Sam affected people's lives... it's that concept of what if one little didn't happen how would your life be different- who would you be.

Little moments that I remember- because I haven't seen it in years.

Seeing little Michael Jackson Dance in a bathroom
Sam changing a lyric to a buddy Holly tune

but the most poignant is the episode where he jumped into his brother's body- the brother who was fighting in Viet Nam.  That was a great episode!

I'm struggling to remember the finale though... I think he finally  leaped home but didn't stay?  Anyone remember?

Written By: midnite on 07/30/08 at 8:49 pm

It was way better than Voyagers.  I really liked the way Sam affected people's lives... it's that concept of what if one little didn't happen how would your life be different- who would you be.

but the most poignant is the episode where he jumped into his brother's body- the brother who was fighting in Viet Nam.  That was a great episode!

I'm struggling to remember the finale though... I think he finally  leaped home but didn't stay?  Anyone remember?

Voyagers.  Wow!  I loved this as a very small kid.  I remember the name of the show and some British guy and kid flying.  Didn't they stop the show because the man character died abrupty - shooting or drugs or something?  I would love to see an episode again.  I will check youtube.

I watched Quantam Leap religiously.  I swear a young Jennifer Aniston was in one of the episodes.  I was mesmerized by her.  In the episode she was in the hospital or something like that.  Anyone know?

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/08 at 8:52 pm

Voyagers.  Wow!  I loved this as a very small kid.  I remember the name of the show and some British guy and kid flying.  Thats it.  I would love to see an episode again.  I will check youtube.

I watched Quantam Leap religiously.  I swear a young Jennifer Aniston was in one of the episodes.  I was mesmerized by her.  In the episode she was in the hospital or something like that.  Anyone know?

Good eye

"Nowhere to Run - August 10, 1968"
gs: Michael Boatman , Jennifer Aniston , Norman Snow , Gene Lythgow , Judith Hoag

As a Marine captain whose legs were amputated after a mishap in Vietnam, Sam finds himself in a veteran's hospital, where he must prevent the suicide of a fellow patient who would rather be dead than face life paralyzed from the neck down. Making matters worse, his wife seems incapable of accepting the fact that she and Sam's host can still lead a normal life, in spite of his condition.
b: 6 Oct 92 pc: 68103 w: Tommy Thompson d: Alan J. Levi

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/08 at 8:54 pm

Oh yeah for the record I liked Voyagers too although its a bit dated it's still fun. It's just comparing Voyagers to Quantum Leap is like comparing  Doogie Howser to ER. There's just no comparison

Written By: midnite on 07/30/08 at 8:57 pm

I was really young when Voyagers was on so it was amazing at the time.  Like you say, now it is probably goofy like the A-Team.

Jennifer Aniston stuck in my mind when i saw the episode because I truly was mesmerized by her.  Then she became famous in the mid-90s with friends and I always wondered if it was the same girl.  I guess it was.  Thanks!

Written By: Gis on 08/04/08 at 9:31 am

Final episode he didn't go home, he leapt on his own into the unknown without Al after he went back and changed Al's past by telling his wife Beth that he was still alive in Vietnam. She doesn't remarry and waits for Al to come back instead.

Written By: snozberries on 08/04/08 at 10:43 am

Final episode he didn't go home, he leapt on his own into the unknown without Al after he went back and changed Al's past by telling his wife Beth that he was still alive in Vietnam. She doesn't remarry and waits for Al to come back instead.

so then in theory Al stays married to Beth and never becomes part of the project so he's not there when Sam begins leaping which means the events of the show don't unfold as we saw them because now Al's not there to "guide" Sam?

That's why I love time travel theory. you can bust blood vessel trying to figure this stuff out.  ;D

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/07/08 at 3:02 pm

I loved Quatum Leap, as I did any show that revolved around altruistic heros.  Every week Sam and Al would be changing the history of someone's life for the better.  The way they impacted and influenced other characters beyond just the main identity that Sam had become, is what really mesmorized me to the show.

I wish more shows like Quatum Leap existed.

Written By: midnite on 08/11/08 at 6:50 pm

I loved Quatum Leap, as I did any show that revolved around altruistic heros.   Every week Sam and Al would be changing the history of someone's life for the better.  The way they impacted and influenced other characters beyond just the main identity that Sam had become, is what really mesmorized me to the show.

I wish more shows like Quatum Leap existed.

I agree. I liked that they helped people and touched people's lives.  I wonder if there was a ripple effect which would cause bad things down the line.  That is the risk with time travel, even if you think you are doing the right thing.

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/14/08 at 11:25 pm

I agree. I liked that they helped people and touched people's lives.   I wonder if there was a ripple effect which would cause bad things down the line.  That is the risk with time travel, even if you think you are doing the right thing.

I think the "ripple effect" or "butterfly effect" whichever one may refer to it as, is nothing more than a comforting self assurance that life happened the way it was supposed to and that there is a "reason" behind it all.  I respect that theory, and a part of myself believes in it as well.  However, a part of me also believes that life is all pomp and circumstance.  Granted their are a few major key notes in history that if changed, would effect the here and now, but I'm not so sure if that means absolutely every little detail in the past. 

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not sure.

It's funny to sit here and think about it.  I'm at a debate within my mind at the moment.  When it comes to believing in a "reason" behind everything, I suppose I can say that 99% of me believes that.  Especially when it comes to death.  I think that when it's our time to die, it is our time to die.  I often here things like, "well if he wouldn't have smoked" or "if she hadn't been on that plane" and to be honest, I don't think that it matters.  On the day you're supposed to go, you go.

Yet on the same hand, I think I might believe that because I hate injustice.  I hate the fact that a little girl had to die because a drunk driver drove up into her yard and hit her while she was playing. 

I could go on and on, but as of right now I'm not sure if I make sense, so I'll stop.

Written By: snozberries on 08/14/08 at 11:40 pm

I think the "ripple effect" or "butterfly effect" whichever one may refer to it as, is nothing more than a comforting self assurance that life happened the way it was supposed to and that there is a "reason" behind it all.  I respect that theory, and a part of myself believes in it as well.  However, a part of me also believes that life is all pomp and circumstance.  Granted their are a few major key notes in history that if changed, would effect the here and now, but I'm not so sure if that means absolutely every little detail in the past. 

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not sure.

It's funny to sit here and think about it.  I'm at a debate within my mind at the moment.  When it comes to believing in a "reason" behind everything, I suppose I can say that 99% of me believes that.  Especially when it comes to death.  I think that when it's our time to die, it is our time to die.  I often here things like, "well if he wouldn't have smoked" or "if she hadn't been on that plane" and to be honest, I don't think that it matters.  On the day you're supposed to go, you go.

Yet on the same hand, I think I might believe that because I hate injustice.  I hate the fact that a little girl had to die because a drunk driver drove up into her yard and hit her while she was playing. 

I could go on and on, but as of right now I'm not sure if I make sense, so I'll stop.

I don't know I mean theoretically doesn't it all come down to one moment, one decision?

If we had moved to San Diego instead of Stockton my life would be completely different. Everyone I know, everything I've done. I wouldn't have been able to do them the way I did.

Like wise... What if JFK had lived....or what if he died the way he had but RFK lived and became president...think of all the political changes that have happened now put someone else in charge....

What if that internet story about OBL was true and Ollie North really did give the warning 20 years ago...I have no idea if this is fact or fiction...but assuming it's fact we might not have had 9/11. 

The ramifications that one moment in time, a fragment a quick decision can actually impact the rest of the world for all time....man that's deep.

But having said all that... what I liked about Quantum Leap was that it wasn't always a big issue. Sometimes making a small change in a normal person's life is just as powerful as grand, historic gestures.... although... that common person just might be an ancestor of someone who does  something really significant (good or bad) in the world and had that one small thing not been changed then that person might not even exist

Geez I scare myself sometimes  ;D

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/21/09 at 10:58 pm

I'm sad to say the ending was a stinker because it was originally written as a season-ending cliffhanger, but the idiots at NBC cancelled the show, so they had to rewrite it as the series finale, but possibly setting up a future movie(at least one made-for-TV). One was shot, but Bellisarius & Universal still haven't found a network to air it. It might have run on Sci-Fi once, but don't quote me on that.
I miss the show too, not so much now since I have four of the five seasons on DVD.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/09 at 11:12 pm

I finally got all of the Seasons.  Best Buy had 'em for $14.99 each, so I bought 'em all at once 8)

Written By: ralfy on 08/15/16 at 12:26 pm

"Joe Napolitano, ‘Quantum Leap,’ ‘X-Files’ Director Dies at 67"

https://variety.com/2016/biz/news/joe-napolitano-x-files-director-dies-67-1201823463/

Check for new replies or respond here...