inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: song stuck in my head

Written By: digital_loop on 07/02/08 at 12:41 pm

so here's the hard part. I don't remember the artists name or the name of the song (if I did I know I could find it). What I do remember is that the song was fairly popular in the mid 90's, it was mostly a guy talking (ranting), and the chorus was pretty much just two or three lines repeated. I seem to remember the song being about how you have to change things yourself but in all likelihood I am wrong about that. Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts. it was a man doing the vocals and I seem to remember him sounding a bit like harvey danger or david usher from moist.

Thanks 00 community!

Daryl

Subject: Re: song stuck in my head

Written By: Davester @ Lunch on 07/02/08 at 1:22 pm

Man, I know this one.  The title is on the tip of my tongue.  Girlfriend loved the song...

Written By: digital_loop on 07/02/08 at 1:24 pm

yeah, it's been on the edge of my mind for almost a week. Broke down and finally asked for help.

I can't remember if the chorus said "Your sexual" or not. I wish I could recall any part of it, then I could start sifting through lyrics.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 07/02/08 at 4:12 pm

The only "ranting" song that comes to mind is "Popular," by Nada Surf... I don't think that's it, though...

Written By: Davester on 07/02/08 at 7:16 pm

I don't know if we're thinking of the same tune, but I've come up with "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" by Baz Luhrmann...

It's 1999 though...

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/08 at 9:31 pm

Two that spring to mind were both popular in Canada, so you never know.  The last one is 80s, but it did get lots of radio play in the 90s (click one for video) ...

This is Ponderous - 2nu (1992)

Somewhere Down the Crazy River - Robbie Robertson (1988)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/02/08 at 10:19 pm

Two that spring to mind were both popular in Canada, so you never know.  The last one is 80s, but it did get lots of radio play in the 90s (click one for video) ...

This is Ponderous - 2nu (1992)

Somewhere Down the Crazy River - Robbie Robertson (1988)

And if it's neither of those (I'd start with those, though!), how about MC 900 Foot Jesus, either Truth is Out of Style (which had both video and radio airplay), or the almost-indecipherable I'm Going Straight To Heaven (which had neither)? 

There were also a couple of tracks that featured samples from motivational/subliminal self-improvement audiotapes of the era.

One of them was Tackhead, Positive Suggestion, featuring "You are going to relax... Begin by making yourself perfectly comfortable" as an audio sample.

The other one, I have no idea what it was (maybe it's the track you're looking for) featured nothing more than a lot of extended samples from a self-improvement tape, over a funky ambient background.  Maybe that's the one you're thinking of?  (And yeah, I know I didn't help much with that, did I?  That's because I'd like to know what that track was too!)

Written By: digital_loop on 07/03/08 at 12:03 am

While all of those are great suggestions... none of them are the ones that I am looking for. The singer in the song that I am looking for was talking his song with a lot more "conviction" so to speak than 2nu in ponderous. The chorus might have had the lyrics "you bought a new car" and perhaps something about "your popular" or something that rhymes with that for sure at least. It's slowly coming back to me, but I'm still stumped.

Written By: digital_loop on 07/03/08 at 3:17 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After staying up way to late and listening to way to many other songs for inspiration on the song I was looking for, it finally came to me!

NADA SURF - POPULAR

Case Closed. Hope you all have a listen.
Here is a youtube link to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsPkTUuKguE

Daryl

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 07/03/08 at 5:05 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After staying up way to late and listening to way to many other songs for inspiration on the song I was looking for, it finally came to me!

NADA SURF - POPULAR

Case Closed. Hope you all have a listen.
Here is a youtube link to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsPkTUuKguE

Daryl

Ummm... Popular by Nada Surf, Huh?  Guess I was right after all...

You're welcome?....

???

Written By: digital_loop on 07/03/08 at 9:11 am

Ummm... Popular by Nada Surf, Huh?  Guess I was right after all...

You're welcome?....

???

when I last saw this thread before finding the song your earlier post wasn't up (at least not on my end) Thanks for knowing the song though, wish I could have seen that post earlier.

Written By: Davester on 07/04/08 at 4:08 am

Okay.  Never heard of it...

Written By: digital_loop on 07/04/08 at 8:55 am

Okay.  Never heard of it...

it was big in 97... at least in Vancouver Canada where I'm from. Sunscreen is a good song also, but I had that one a long time ago.

Written By: DJ Wonderbread on 07/04/08 at 2:50 pm

I still get the occasional request for Nada Surf.  Most people don't know the name of it, either.  Maybe that's why that was my "go-to" answer at the beginning of the thread.  ;)

And sorry, Loop, if I came off as petty before.  I guess I just try to cling to whatever props I can get when the chance comes around.  :)

Written By: digital_loop on 07/04/08 at 3:48 pm

I still get the occasional request for Nada Surf.  Most people don't know the name of it, either.  Maybe that's why that was my "go-to" answer at the beginning of the thread.  ;)

And sorry, Loop, if I came off as petty before.  I guess I just try to cling to whatever props I can get when the chance comes around.  :)

Well, props and thanks. I wish I could have seen that reply before I spent a stupid long night drinking coffee and rhyming lyrics till I figured it out. Could have saved me a lot of hassle. As far as the song goes... I'm not surprised that people still sort of remember it, very freakin' catchy. Now I just have to find a better way to describe it to people who don't know it.

Check for new replies or respond here...