inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/03/08 at 10:57 am

I know it's overhyped and talked about like it's nobodies business, but I love it regardless. It's so angry and catchy and loud all at once. The whole loud-quiet-loud dynamic was really used well in the song and, for its time, was very original. It started an entire movement and put a genre of music that nobody ever though would be big at the forefront. To me, this song will always be one of my favorites due to its raw yet polished sound, and because of the fact that it was the first hard rock song I ever got into (this was back when I wasn't even in school yet - my dad played this all the time back in like '94  :D).

Subject: Re: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/03/08 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, I have always liked Teen Spirit. Before I finally decided to buy Nevermind around 8 or 9 years ago, this along with "Come As Your Are" were basically the only songs I had heard by Nirvana since those were the only two songs by them that got any serious airplay around here.

Eventually, I got In Utero and Bleach which I think has there best work, but SLTS is still a good song overplayed or not.

Written By: Gis on 07/03/08 at 12:49 pm

Great song, great memories.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/08 at 12:53 pm

Good song for it's time, but over the years I never heard the lyrics properly.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/08 at 1:48 pm

Sorry, but I don't like the song...at all!  In fact, it makes me wanna scream when I hear it!  :P

Written By: Paul on 07/03/08 at 2:14 pm

After it was played for the squillionth time, it began to grate a tad... :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/08 at 2:16 pm

What is Teen Spirit and what does it smell of?

Written By: Paul on 07/03/08 at 2:20 pm

If it smells anything like me when I was a teen, I wouldn't go anywhere near it!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/08 at 2:21 pm

What is Teen Spirit and what does it smell of?

I believe there is a brand of deodorant/anti-perspirant called Teen Spirit...probably comes in many different scents!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/08 at 2:26 pm

I believe there is a brand of deodorant/anti-perspirant called Teen Spirit...probably comes in many different scents!  ;D
Like a brand name?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/08 at 2:26 pm

This ?

http://musicsnobbery.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/17/smells_like_teen_spirit.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/08 at 2:34 pm

This ?

http://musicsnobbery.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/17/smells_like_teen_spirit.jpg

That would be the one!

I've seen it on the shelves in the drugstores...

Written By: Midas on 07/03/08 at 2:36 pm

I admittedly like the song and the entire Nevermind album.  It was one of the first CDs I ever purchased in late 1991, for $6.96 at Best Butt.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/03/08 at 3:33 pm

Smells Like Teen Spirit is the one Nirvana song I'm neutral about. I don't like or hate it. I do listen to it when I'm in the mood, which is very rare. I tend to like the weirder stuff alot more.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/08 at 8:40 pm

Sorry, but I don't like the song...at all!  In fact, it makes me wanna scream when I hear it!  :P

The same for me.  'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is nothing but noize

Written By: Brian06 on 07/03/08 at 9:00 pm

I really like it, they probably had better songs but it's still good.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/03/08 at 9:02 pm

Having not listened to radio in a long time, I don't hear it too often. So it's not "overplayed" for me. A decent song, but not Nirvana's best.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/03/08 at 11:00 pm

I really like it, they probably had better songs but it's still good.

Yeah, had it not been the first song I ever really got into I'd definitely like other Nirvana songs more. 'Drain You', 'Come As You Are', 'In Bloom', 'Heart-Shaped Box', 'Very Ape', 'Scentless Aprentice', hell, the list goes on regarding how many songs are technically better than Teen Spirit both lyrically and structurally. I can definitely see why people would get sick of it after all the hype it gets, but I just don't - I STILL find it somewhat refreshing after all these years  :D. My dad got me hooked on this song at a very impressionable time, so to me this song will NEVER get old, no matter how many times it tops the lists that VH1 spews out.

The same for me.  'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is nothing but noize

Eh, some love it some hate it. If you like Boy George, you'll probably hate it  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/08 at 11:18 pm

I'm so over that song.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/04/08 at 5:07 pm

I still love that song.

Written By: cinnabon on 07/05/08 at 5:43 am

I've always thought the song was great as were all of Nirvana's other songs and the video was cool to watch - I also loved Weird Al's parody "Smells Like Nirvana" where he sang about how nobody could understand their lyrics and the video for that song is hysterical (you can see Dick Van Patten sitting in the bleachers with all those grunge kids)  :)

Written By: holicman on 07/05/08 at 6:42 am

The whole Nevermind album is fantastic.

IT might be noise, but if you listen to the lyrics behind the music, it makes not only that song, but the whole album amazing.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/05/08 at 10:16 am

Sorry but I have to do it. If you don't like the song maybe it's just Nirvana, check out this
cover of the song maybe you'll like it better.  :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TsS811o21-k

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/08 at 9:31 pm

Sorry but I have to do it. If you don't like the song maybe it's just Nirvana, check out this

Paul Anka could turn nails on a chalkboard into a beautiful melody LOL

Makes you wonder if Cobain was still alive, what he'd think of Paul's performance ;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 7:59 pm

OMG I am so sorry, but that was awful...just awful. Nirvana turned into lounge lizard music.
They did have much beeter songs than Teen Spirit, but it doesn't deserve that fate. (Being lizardized). 8-P
I think Kurt would be good and pissed off. >:( But thats JMHO.

Written By: 90steen on 08/31/08 at 11:54 pm

We used to bump to that song back in 92.

I was in 6th and 7th grade when it was at its peak.

Written By: nally on 09/01/08 at 12:00 am

We used to bump to that song back in 92.

I was in 6th and 7th grade when it was at its peak.

So was I! I take it you're probably about 28 now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/08 at 10:42 am

You know what? Even though I was never a big fan of Nirvana or grunge, I love this song, it's a real classic. :) The verses are catchy and softer, while the choruses are loud and in your face, I like songs where it alternates like that.

I think alot of people liked Nirvana for their angsty lyrics, and probably also because it was more serious and gritty, which was a change from most '80s music. I was a little too young to relate to that respect (I was 10-11 in 1992 when it really caught on), I just liked it for its sound.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/18/08 at 2:54 pm

I like it, but I don't love it. I like Nirvana's other songs better like Come As You Are and Lithium.

Written By: 90steen on 09/20/08 at 9:18 pm

So was I! I take it you're probably about 28 now?

Yep. 28 years old.
I turn 29 this upcoming January  :(

I was never a big fan of grunge either, but I always loved this song. Mainly because back then, if you liked rap, odds are you didn't like grunge. And I loved the rap back then. (Now it sucks though.)

Just like today. If you like the rap, you probably don't like hard rock or "emo" music.

Written By: WCman10 on 12/19/08 at 12:44 pm

I like it but it was hardly "original." Kurt cobain himself said the song was his attempt at ripping off the Pixies, who had used the loud-soft dynamic years before Nirvana wrote "Teen Spirit."

Written By: joeman on 12/20/08 at 1:42 am

I like it but it was hardly "original." Kurt cobain himself said the song was his attempt at ripping off the Pixies, who had used the loud-soft dynamic years before Nirvana wrote "Teen Spirit."

Even Kurt admitted that he was ripping off riffs and material of other artist.  I believe "Teen Spirit" riff was actually a riff from "More than a Feeling" by Boston.

Written By: nally on 05/27/23 at 11:24 am

Sometimes I am in the mood for it when I hear it come on the radio, other times not.

Weird Al also parodied it as “Smells Like Nirvana.” :D

Check for new replies or respond here...