inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Melrose Place ~ Melrose Space GALA Art Project

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/08 at 6:02 pm

^ a good buy :)

I just got Season 4 of 'Melrose Place'.  It was $44.99, but one copy had a $19.99 sticker over it (One of the workers probably got confused as S1 and S2 were $19.99) so when I took it up to the cash, it rang through as $44.99, but they gave me the $19.99 sticker price, because by law, they have to.  Their error was in my favour.  Oh well, I won't complain ;)

Whistledog's post reminded me that I wanted to start a thread about a group of artists that used the TV show Melrose Place as a gallery to display art they created as a commentary on society. 

These artists from Georgia (GA) and LA  called themselves GALA worked closely with Melrose Place production team.  Although the project is long over I was happy to find that the website is still up and running.  MP Art

Two of the pieces that were displayed in season 4 are on the web site. I have included links to them for you to check out.

Devil in a Wet Dress  Peter and Alycia are in bed the design on the bed sheets is condoms-  this is because at the time you couldn't show an unrolled condom on TV. 

also check out Triumph of the Bill

Two of my favorite pieces of art that are featured on the web site are

Government Issue as seen in Sole Sister

&

Food For Thought as seen in Farewell Mike's Concubine

One of my professors worked with the group and as her research assistant I was able to attend the auction they had at Sotheby's. I even came home with a few props myself.  My favorite is a "Raggedy Ann" Doll. Honestly I don't remember what episode it was on but had Sydney's face (instead of your normal Raggedy Ann face ).  I get a photo of it if you want.

I also still have the catalog from the auction. This has some of the art not featured on the web site.

Subject: Re: Melrose Place ~ Melrose Space GALA Art Project

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/08 at 6:08 pm

I'll have to watch out for those artworks in those episodes.  Those are cool :)

Subject: Re: Melrose Place ~ Melrose Space GALA Art Project

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/08 at 6:13 pm

I'll have to watch out for those artworks in those episodes.  Those are cool :)

I thought you might get a kick out of it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...