inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teenpop - not as bad as crunk?

Written By: Joch on 07/14/08 at 5:29 pm

Althoung many of the people on this board hate 90's teenpop, I think it was a lot better than the emo, crunk and snap music of the current decade. Do you agree? I think the clean-cut Britney and fellow singers were better role models than most emo and rap singers today.

Subject: Re: Teenpop - not as bad as crunk?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/14/08 at 6:00 pm

Althoung many of the people on this board hate 90's teenpop, I think it was a lot better than the emo, crunk and snap music of the current decade. Do you agree? I think the clean-cut Britney and fellow singers were better role models than most emo and rap singers today.

Better role models? At the time, yes. Better music? No. Worse music...No. It all sucks equally in my book. I think that when the 00's backlash occurs, teen pop will be lumped in with current popular music and it will all be seen as "so 00's" (though I'm sure people will say something that doesn't sound "so 90's"), since teen pop was marketed to the same generation anyway...we were just a lot younger.  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/14/08 at 10:11 pm

I'm not the biggest fan, but yes it is better.

At least the teen pop music of the late '90s and early '00s was music. To me, this "crunk" and "snap" stuff is just noise. 8-P

Written By: Gis on 07/15/08 at 10:40 am

Crunk??

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/15/08 at 10:45 am

Crunk??

Yes, artist like 50 cent, Eminem, crap like that.

Written By: tv on 07/15/08 at 4:43 pm

Yes, artist like 50 cent, Eminem, crap like that.
No 50 Cent and Eminem are not "crunk". Lil Jon is "crunk".

Written By: tv on 07/15/08 at 4:45 pm

I don;t hate teen-pop it was just too overexposed in 1999-2000 and in your face all the time. I ddn;t mind teen-pop of 1997-1998 because it didn;t "own" the music scene like it did in 1999-2000.

Written By: tv on 07/15/08 at 4:52 pm

Better role models? At the time, yes. Better music? No. Worse music...No. It all sucks equally in my book. I think that when the 00's backlash occurs, teen pop will be lumped in with current popular music and it will all be seen as "so 00's" (though I'm sure people will say something that doesn't sound "so 90's"), since teen pop was marketed to the same generation anyway...we were just a lot younger.  ::)
I may be off base here but I think the ""Backstreet Boys" may or may not be seen as part of an 00's backlash since they were pretty popular in 1997-1998. I think a group like the Backstreet Boys is pretty much in between when grunge died or died permanently and where Britney became popular.

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/08 at 9:28 pm

Crunk?  Snap music?  Can't you youngin's listen to music that us old foagies have heard of? :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/16/08 at 12:36 pm

No 50 Cent and Eminem are not "crunk". Lil Jon is "crunk".

Is crunk the bubble gum music of Rap?  Always wondered that.

Written By: karen on 07/16/08 at 3:17 pm

Crunk??

I've heard the term crunk.  Only because it was one of the dance styles used on the US show 'So You Think You Can Dance?'.  Couldn't tell the difference between that and hip hop to be honest!  :-[

Written By: tv on 07/16/08 at 3:43 pm

I've heard the term crunk.  Only because it was one of the dance styles used on the US show 'So You Think You Can Dance?'.  Couldn't tell the difference between that and hip hop to be honest!  :-[
No, Crunk is a sub-genre of Hip-Hop.

Written By: tv on 07/16/08 at 3:47 pm

Is crunk the bubble gum music of Rap?  Always wondered that.
No, Bubblegum Rap would be Will Smith in my estimation or like Soulja Boy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/16/08 at 3:49 pm

No, Bubblegum Rap would be Will Smith in my estimation or like Soulja Boy.

Don't forget Ciera and Lil' Bow Wow.

Written By: tv on 07/16/08 at 3:56 pm

Don't forget Ciera and Lil' Bow Wow.
Yeah your right about Bow Wow(he's not callled Lil Bow Wow anymore.) I actually did like "Let Me Hold You" the song he did with R&B singer Omarion in 2005. Ciara I don;t classify her as Hip-Hop I don;t know why I just don;t maybe she is Bubblegum Rap though. Maybe the Pussycatt Dolls, Fergie(her more up-tempo stuff), and Danity Kane could be classified as bubblegum rap too.

Written By: karen on 07/17/08 at 9:15 am

No, Crunk is a sub-genre of Hip-Hop.

do't quite see how your comment relates to what I typed  :-\\

Written By: ninny on 07/17/08 at 10:53 am

Crunk??

My thoughts exactly..I think it has more of a beat than snap,but I could be talking out my Ass..At least I know what Teenpop is.

Written By: Josh on 07/17/08 at 1:43 pm

I miss the optimistic, sunny and bright videos of the teen pop era.
Watch any of Britney Spears's videos from 1998-2000 and you'll see what I mean.
There were bright colors, sunny beaches, etc.
At least the sunny and bright video formula is back.
A lot of the new videos from 2008 are as bright and colorful as videos in the late 90's.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/17/08 at 4:38 pm

I miss the optimistic, sunny and bright videos of the teen pop era.
Watch any of Britney Spears's videos from 1998-2000 and you'll see what I mean.
There were bright colors, sunny beaches, etc.
At least the sunny and bright video formula is back.
A lot of the new videos from 2008 are as bright and colorful as videos in the late 90's.

Ah yes, her first album.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/25/08 at 4:45 am

Teen Pop at least had variety in their songs.  Teen Pop singers were able to alternate between danceable pop songs (like Bye Bye Bye) and ballads (like I Want It That Way).  Crunk and "Snap" music (the style I've seen Soulja Boy, Yung Joc, etc. referred to as) have absolutely no variety and consist of saying five words over and over for half of the song.  Some fans of the music say they like it for the beat, but the beat is pretty bad because there really isn't a beat.  Just noise.

Written By: Josh on 07/25/08 at 11:36 am

I hate the fact that after say 2001, pop music changed for bad:
I personally prefer this type of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56qODIWoFik
Over the current pop trend.

Check for new replies or respond here...