inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tevin Campbell Poll

Written By: robby76 on 07/25/08 at 4:48 am

Tevin hit the scene big in 1990 with his Prince penned hit "Round and Round".

I personally loved his second album and voted for the title single "I'm Ready".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9NHjQWOGU

Any other takers?

http://www.kkbox.com.tw/funky/album/54224.jpg

Subject: Re: Tevin Campbell Poll

Written By: snozberries on 07/25/08 at 7:26 pm

Strawberry Letter 23 or was it 22?

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/25/08 at 8:09 pm

"Round and Round" will forever remind me of my earliest days in junior high. I've always loved this song!  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/08 at 2:51 am

I loved:

Can We Talk?
I'm Ready
Always in My Heart

Written By: robby76 on 07/26/08 at 3:26 am

From what I understand he's our age (76) as well.

That would explain the success and raw talent.  ;D ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/08 at 8:31 pm

I had to go to YouTube to hear some of his songs.  For some reason, I don't remember Tevin when he was popular, though he did have hits in Canada.  First I'd ever heard of him was on an episode of Fresh Prince where Ashley made mention of her Tevin Campbell posters

Written By: robby76 on 07/30/08 at 10:22 pm

First I'd ever heard of him was on an episode of Fresh Prince where Ashley made mention of her Tevin Campbell posters

That was a classic line! "Where're them damn Tevin Campbell posters"  ;D

Written By: midnite on 08/11/08 at 6:55 pm

I had to go to YouTube to hear some of his songs.  For some reason, I don't remember Tevin when he was popular, though he did have hits in Canada.  First I'd ever heard of him was on an episode of Fresh Prince where Ashley made mention of her Tevin Campbell posters

W.D. - In the states from about 1992 - 1994, R&B was very popular in the U.S.  Groups such as Guy (which are actually good), Keith Sweat, Silk, Shai, H-Town, Tevin Campbell were very popular.  Tevin Campbell was one of those artists who rode that wave and disappeared in 1994.  I think Can We Talk was his biggest hit. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/15/08 at 12:16 am

W.D. - In the states from about 1992 - 1994, R&B was very popular in the U.S.  Groups such as Guy (which are actually good), Keith Sweat, Silk, Shai, H-Town, Tevin Campbell were very popular.  Tevin Campbell was one of those artists who rode that wave and disappeared in 1994.  I think Can We Talk was his biggest hit. 

You forgot to mention Immature

Written By: midnite on 08/15/08 at 4:44 pm

LOL.  In addition to Immature, there were alot of fly-by-night R&B Groups like Hi-Five (though they had a couple of hits).

Written By: tv on 09/14/08 at 7:33 pm

W.D. - In the states from about 1992 - 1994, R&B was very popular in the U.S.  Groups such as Guy (which are actually good), Keith Sweat, Silk, Shai, H-Town, Tevin Campbell were very popular.  Tevin Campbell was one of those artists who rode that wave and disappeared in 1994.   I think Can We Talk was his biggest hit. 
No R&B was pretty popular in 1998 too with Xscape, KiCi & JoJo, Next, Dru Hill, Usher, Brian McKnight and R. Kelly. Don;t forget about "Babyface" or a group like "After 7" when you mention 90's R&B.

Anyway with Tevin Campbell I was actually thinking about his singles off his 1994 R&B album "I'm Ready" that netted the hits "Always In My Heart", Can We Talk, and "I'm Ready" as well. I think Tevin Campbell was a real talented artist but unfortunately for him when he dropped an album in early 1999 it flopped bad because the popularity of Britney Spears I think and the overall popularity of teen-pop overall. The R&B sound that kinda defined R&B from 1989-1998 died out by that time.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/23/09 at 11:25 pm

This is my favorite thread.  I used to have a HUUUUUUUUGE crush on Tevvy Tev back in the early 90s, and actually he started with Quincy Jones first with Tomorrow (A Better You A Better me) before Round and Round, but nevertheless, he started in 1990.  I was there, a 13-year-old at the time of his first entrance falling in love with him.  I went to see him in concert during the I'm Ready phase.  I saw him again when he was in the record store in Philly, and I saw him for the third time in New York when he was doing Hairspray.  I used to have Tevin Campbell posters all over my wall.  This thread is taking me back.  Thank you for this thread.

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/25/09 at 4:41 am

I got BillBoard Top Hits 1994 and it had Can We Talk on it.  When I played it, it took me right back to junior high, so I chose that.
However, I hadn't heard 1991's Round & Round for the longest time until they played it on the radio at Subway, so that's a 2nd choice.

Also, he did 2 songs for A Goofy Movie in 1995: I2I, and Stand Out(Stand Out being my favorite).  Could've included those :/

Check for new replies or respond here...