inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst TV Talk Shows of all Time

Written By: Entouch on 07/25/08 at 7:52 pm

Remember we were inudated by talk shows in the 90s. If you were an actor, singer or athlete they gave you a talk show. Some of them were so bad hosting a show. They were somewhat popular but that didnt mean it was going to translate to a successful talk show. I have my list of the worst tv talk shows.

1. Magic Johnson.
2. Chevy Chase
3. Tempest Bledsoe
4. Gabrielle Carteris
5. Keenan Ivory Wayons
6. Mother Love
7. Robin Givens
8. Carnie Wilson

Subject: Re: Worst TV Talk Shows of all Time

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/08 at 8:00 pm

I have never seen any of those but I could imagine Chevy Chase giving the talk-show format a run for it's money. I want to see the Magic Johnson talk show just to see how awful it is because it certainly sounds it, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/08 at 8:04 pm

1. Magic Johnson.
2. Chevy Chase
5. Keenan Ivory Wayons

I liked these.  The others I didn't lol

One talk show I didn't like was The Marsha Warfield Show.  I liked her on Night Court and other sitcoms, but as a talk show host, yeah no thanks. 

Remember when Pat Sajak had a daytime talk-show?  During that time, they hired Bob Goen to be the host of Daytime Wheel of Fortune

Written By: midnite on 07/28/08 at 8:38 pm

Oprah Winfrey because of the brainwashing effects on women everywhere.

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/08 at 9:38 pm

Oprah Winfrey because of the brainwashing effects on women everywhere.

I would most definately agree with that one

Women cannot seem to think for themselves unless Oprah says it's OK.  When Tom and Katie got married, Oprah was upset that she was not invited to the wedding, and I believe she mentioned this on her show.  What, like she has to be invited to every celebrity gathering because she has all this money and power and is a well-known celebrity?

If I was a major celebrity, and Oprah wanted me to be a guest on her show, I'd be like "No thanks.  I want to go on a talk show that matters"

Written By: tv on 07/29/08 at 2:57 pm

Remember we were inudated by talk shows in the 90s. If you were an actor, singer or athlete they gave you a talk show. Some of them were so bad hosting a show. They were somewhat popular but that didnt mean it was going to translate to a successful talk show. I have my list of the worst tv talk shows.

1. Magic Johnson.
2. Chevy Chase
3. Tempest Bledsoe
4. Gabrielle Carteris
5. Keenan Ivory Wayons
6. Mother Love
7. Robin Givens
8. Carnie Wilson

Robin Givens had a talk show? I didn;t even know that. Robin Givens did make some appearences towards the end of "The Montell Williams show's" run.

Don;t remember "Mother Love" either.

I think Magic Johnson's talk show and Keenan Ivory Wayans's talk show were on real late at night.

Yeah thats true of what the poster of the original poster thread that if you were actor, singer, rapper, or athlete you had your own talk show in the 90's/early 00's(1991/1992-2001.)

I would say "Maury Povich" had like the worst talk show. His talk show started out good and than his talk show started to turn into Jerry Springer II after awhile. Maury had credibility when he was a newscaster on "A Current Affair".

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/29/08 at 6:56 pm

what about rolanda show? her theme is OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH rolanda! also the roseanne show was the worst

Written By: Entouch on 07/29/08 at 7:47 pm

what about rolanda show? her theme is OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH rolanda! also the roseanne show was the worst

I forgot Rolanda Watts, Joan Rivers and Whoopi Goldberg, Truly bad, how can I forget Jenny Jones especially when she went the Jerry Springer route. As far as Maury Povich is concern its only interesting when he has the paternity tests.

Oprah Winfrey show is boring to me she continues to throw softball questions to guests especially at celebrities.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/29/08 at 10:29 pm

There have been alot of bad talk shows over the years. I mean, Joan Rivers, Chevy Chase and Tempest Bledsoe? That's really the bottom of the barrel. 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/08 at 1:45 am

Yeah I'd say the first two-thirds of the '90s were filled with talk shows, it was more like who didn't have one lol. I remember most of those by name, but not watching them. I've heard about how bad Chevy Chase's was (I like his movies though). ;D

I think the FEEL of talk shows and the media changed around 1994/95. Maury Povich was on A Current Affair and Jerry Springer was also a news reporter (and mayor of Cincinnati before that). Their shows were serious and classy at first, but slowly got more youth oriented, which made them trashy later on.

Here's a clip of Springer's first season from 1991 or '92 and you can tell the difference, lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIk1_hHC1f4

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 08/02/08 at 4:06 pm

maury was serious also befoire who's my baby's daddy and other things in his show and he brought to us Marisol (the comebacker)

Written By: woops on 08/02/08 at 6:39 pm

Wasn't into any, though Oprah & Springer are both overrated and still on the air...  ::)

Written By: tv on 08/06/08 at 5:33 pm

I forgot Rolanda Watts, Joan Rivers and Whoopi Goldberg, Truly bad, how can I forget Jenny Jones especially when she went the Jerry Springer route. As far as Maury Povich is concern its only interesting when he has the paternity tests.

I didn't even know Joan Rivers or Whoopi Goldberg even had their own talk shows.

Written By: gmann on 08/06/08 at 5:39 pm

I think the FEEL of talk shows and the media changed around 1994/95. Maury Povich was on A Current Affair and Jerry Springer was also a news reporter (and mayor of Cincinnati before that). Their shows were serious and classy at first, but slowly got more youth oriented, which made them trashy later on.

Are you talking about the same "A Current Affair" that I remember? Even when Maury was host, it had the air of your typical tabloid television pseudo "news" program. "A Current Affair" strikes me as having been the harbinger of all the bad that was to come in daytime television. I will give Maury credit for attempting to go straight with his talk show later, but playing clean apparently wasn't a long-term plan for getting ratings. Too bad. I'd like to see what he could do with a regular newscast.
As for Springer, though I think he squandered any credibility he had a long time ago.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/10/08 at 1:39 pm

I am just not a fan of talk shows in general...so I would say they're ALL the worst!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/11/08 at 2:10 pm

I have never seen any of those but I could imagine Chevy Chase giving the talk-show format a run for it's money. I want to see the Magic Johnson talk show just to see how awful it is because it certainly sounds it, lol.

Here's a clip of the Chevy Chase show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdqMEfV-r9A

:P

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/19/08 at 12:50 am

Allan Thicke
Everything he was in turned to Crap!

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/03/08 at 3:10 pm

I always thought the Richard Bey show was particularly bad.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/03/08 at 9:46 pm

Jerry Springer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtiTZ2WS3Fg

Geraldo Riveria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84OKTUx6LY

Morton Downey Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdoZRVYEjs

Wally George

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VZbFVigD80

Truly trash TV at it's worse....

;D

Written By: Zeb on 12/05/08 at 10:33 am

Morton Downey Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdoZRVYEjs

Yeah but Morton Downey Junior had Al Sharpton getting pushed to the ground.  You got to love that! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...