inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was "Hook" (1991) really THAT bad?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/05/08 at 12:44 pm

So many people say how much they did not like this movie, mainly because critics panned it relentlessly. Yet, I was about 9-10 years old when I watched it and I got a much different message from the movie than most "adults" probably did. I found a connection between how the grown up Peter Pan was ignoring his children because he was too much into his business life and grown up life, that he couldn't loosen up and be a kid again. It also showed how modern technologies (as new as the cell phone was at the time this movie came out, it still demonstrated how the cell phone would eventually be the ultimate interrupter of quality time) can tangle with just letting things be and to maybe live without them for awhile.

It also showed how Peter Pan and his Lost Boys saw things with their imaginations. I like this aspect of the movie because these are after all boys who never wanted to age and so they're still finding there way as grown up kids. Kind of the opposite of Peter Pan.

And, when Peter Pan finally thinks of that one happy thought that sends him flying, it really touches home because these are thoughts that can't ever be repeated or felt the same again (such as the birth of a child.)

So, is it me, or is this movie really that bad?

I think I'd much rather watch this movie which seems to have a lot more heart to it than most kid movies being made today. It always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling when watching it, and to be frank, it still does.

Subject: Re: Was "Hook" (1991) really THAT bad?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/08 at 1:07 pm

For me it was good for it had a good director.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/08 at 3:07 pm

I loved it.  I didn't even know it was panned.  Dustin Hoffman was terrific in it.  I own it and still watch it on occasion.  It just goes to show, that you shouldn't listen to what the critics say!

Written By: KKay on 08/05/08 at 6:58 pm

YES!  a resounding YES.

when they have the kids doing a version of skateboarding on leaves......yeah, kids are into skateboarding....
ugh.
everyone sucked.  I saw it in the theater and we chuckled through the whole thing...and not the "good" kind of "bad".

I"m sorry that was my humble opinion.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/05/08 at 8:25 pm

This is actually one of my dad's favorite movies. Everytime it is on TV, he has to watch it. I am not a fan of Robin Williams...but Dustin Hoffman was great. I thought it was a really cute movie.

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/08 at 9:35 pm

I liked this movie.  What I liked even better was the video game version they made for the 8-Bit NES.  That was one of my favourite games of all time.  The arcade/Genesis/SNES version was different and not quite as good

http://www.viddler.com/explore/KiteRyagara/videos/7/

Written By: wildcard on 08/05/08 at 9:59 pm

I like it and love the baseball game.  He's stealing second! *gun fire*

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/05/08 at 11:26 pm

I saw this movie a couple of times when I was a kid and liked it alot then. It's been several years since I have seen it though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/08 at 1:17 am

This film is on my must-see-again list.

Written By: robby76 on 08/06/08 at 11:39 am

I remember going to the cinema as a 15 yr old to see this and I liked it alot. Not seen it since but I reckon I'd happily sit through it again.

Written By: gmann on 08/06/08 at 4:42 pm

Wow. I never knew that anyone held such ill feelings toward this flick. Perhaps it's not the greatest film ever made, but it did its job in entertaining me when I saw it several years ago. Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman were great in this one. 
There are surely much worse stories that have been put to celluloid. Need I mention "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"? See *that* before calling "Hook" a horrible movie.  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/06/08 at 7:22 pm

YES!  a resounding YES.

when they have the kids doing a version of skateboarding on leaves......yeah, kids are into skateboarding....
ugh.
everyone sucked.  I saw it in the theater and we chuckled through the whole thing...and not the "good" kind of "bad".

I"m sorry that was my humble opinion.

It's okay,  ;D I mean, again, I think seeing it as a child really changes your position as compared to seeing it while you're an adult.

Written By: Davester on 08/06/08 at 7:44 pm

Just had to say that it's among my girlfriend's favorite movies of all time and space, for ever'never...

Along with Clue, Dances With Wolves and Grease...so, you see the pattern. ;)  I only mention this because I'm sometimes prone to watching Hook with her and pretending to be even remotely interested.  Nothing to do with the quality of the acting, production, script &etc.  It may be the greatest movie ever made but I was never interested in the whole Peter Pan thing or even understood what it is all about...

Good peanut butter though...

Written By: robby76 on 08/06/08 at 8:08 pm

Along with Clue, Dances With Wolves and Grease...

Hey those were great films!!!  >:( ;) What fine taste she has!

Written By: Davester on 08/06/08 at 8:14 pm

Hey those were great films!!!  >:( ;) What fine taste she has!

Uh-oh...

Look here!  I found another one!!!  :D

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/07/08 at 2:59 pm

I enjoyed Hook.  I can see why some didn't like it, but I enjoyed Hook.  I liked it because to me it was a movie full of symbolism, mainly towards that of finding the child that lives within you.  I also liked it because while it could have been a happy go lucky, feel good disney flick, it had it's moments of bitterness and sadness. 

In my opinion, yes, there were a lot of rabbit trails within the film's main plot, but every single one of them was relevant to the main story.  I personally enjoyed the film, thought it had a lot of great parts.

Written By: Haman on 08/12/08 at 3:23 pm

So many people say how much they did not like this movie, mainly because critics panned it relentlessly.

(...)
So, is it me, or is this movie really that bad?

I think I'd much rather watch this movie which seems to have a lot more heart to it than most kid movies being made today. It always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling when watching it, and to be frank, it still does.

I wasn't aware of the criticism you mention. Generally I don't give a damn about the critics, though.

I like that film. Maybe it isn't the best film ever, but I find it entertaining and beautiful.

Written By: Zeb on 08/19/08 at 10:51 am

Gosh, I'm so old that I remember going to see this movie in the theater with my folks when I was seven.  Find me a seven year old who isn't enthralled by the idea of running away from annoying adults and just using their imaginations.  I am also sure that on the day I become a father I will feel like flying too:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/08 at 11:08 am

Gosh, I'm so old that I remember going to see this movie in the theater with my folks when I was seven.  Find me a seven year old who isn't enthralled by the idea of running away from annoying adults and just using their imaginations.  I am also sure that on the day I become a father I will feel like flying too:)
I only saw it for the first time within the last year, and I was spellbound by it.

Written By: NbC on 08/20/08 at 7:55 am

I neither hated it or loved it. 

I liked Peter Pan (2003) better but Hook gave you a different view.  It was still entertaining.  I haven't seen it in years and I probably won't ever get around to watching it again.  But I am like that with most movies.  Once is enough, usually.  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/24/08 at 3:32 pm

It came out when I was 9, but I actually didn't see it until I was 10 on video. I really wish I had seen it at the theatre, as I am sure it would have been even more magical. I agree, for a 7-10 year old, it has some great escape from childhood.

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 12:00 pm

"The Lost Boys from ‘Hook’ celebrate the 25th anniversary of the film with a reunion"

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/08/the-lost-boys-from-hook-celebrate-the-25th-anniversary-of-the-film-with-a-reunion/

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/16 at 4:35 am

Spielberg considers it as his best movie!

Check for new replies or respond here...