inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna had a great career in the 90's

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/08 at 9:58 pm

I'm a Madonna fan, though I listen to rock, hip-hop, and oldies, I don't mind pop music. But I've done research and Madonna had a great career in the 90's. I'm so tired of people saying she tanked after 1989!

Here are her US album sales in the 90's:

I'm Breathless soundtrack (1990)- Sold 2 million
The Immaculate Collection (1990)- 10 million
Erotica (1992)- 1.96 million
Bedtime Stories (1994)- 2.49 million
Something to Remember (1995)- 2.2-2.3 million
Evita soundtrack (1996)- 1.99 million+
Ray of Light (1998)- 4 million

Even her album Music in 2000 sold 3 million, and her Greatest hits Volume 2 in 2001 sold 1.4 million.

For the past 7 years though, Madonna's last three studio albums have flopped in the US.

American Life (2003)- 667,000+ copies
Confessions on the Dancefloor (2005)- 1.6 million
Hard Candy (2008)- Only 500,000+ so far, it flopped!
Even if Madonna doesn't sale anymore after Hard Candy, no one can say she sucked in the 90's sales-wise. Madonna needs a hit badly though in the US if she wants to keep her career in the US currently. Her 90's album sales are actually not that different from her 80's sales, almost equal, but after 2001 her career took a nosedive. She jumped the shark with her American Life album. She needs to stop prancing around being sexual, because she's 50 now. I love her, but I think it's time she stops acting like she's 25, or better yet just retire. Why not leave before you make a bigger fool of yourself? But anyways, 90's Madonna rocks!

Subject: Re: Madonna had a great career in the 90's

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/08 at 10:03 am

For the past 7 years though, Madonna's last three studio albums have flopped in the US.

Those aren't flops

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/08 at 3:57 pm

In my opinion, Madonna lost her edge after 1990 and the Vogue Tour. She is a legend but, as people here rightly say, acting like a 20 year old at the age of 50 is fooling nobody but herself, lol.

Written By: midnite on 08/24/08 at 3:11 pm

In my opinion, Madonna lost her edge after 1990 and the Vogue Tour. She is a legend but, as people here rightly say, acting like a 20 year old at the age of 50 is fooling nobody but herself, lol.

I partially agree. I definitely think she lost her edge after Vogue, but she was so successful what else could she do?  There was no place to go but down because she was at the very top.  She did go a little overboard with the fetish thing for a couple years there. 

However, IMO she still continued to creat good music throughout the 90's.  I dont see her acting like a 20-year old.  Anyways, people are still fans.

One thing ircks me though - what is up with the fake British accent?  LOL.

Written By: woops on 08/24/08 at 3:44 pm

The only song I like from the '90's from Madonna  is "Vogue"

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 08/24/08 at 5:31 pm

now madonna is overrated and she has a fake british accent when she was born in freaking detroit michigan

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/08 at 7:09 am

I partially agree. I definitely think she lost her edge after Vogue, but she was so successful what else could she do?  There was no place to go but down because she was at the very top.  She did go a little overboard with the fetish thing for a couple years there. 

I do agree the only direction after huge success is down but it was more than success financially, she lost that ability to be ahead of the game so to speak and went for the sex selling market from around 1990 - 1993 (?).

However, IMO she still continued to creat good music throughout the 90's.

She made a couple of songs I liked. 'I'll Remember' and 'The Power of Goodbye'.

I dont see her acting like a 20-year old. 

The video 'Give it 2 me' made me think of the UK expression 'mutton dressed as lamb'. I reckon now would have been a good time to dress up with a touch of modest glamour and add the milf factor - still . . . you can't argue with success.

Anyways, people are still fans.

Of course.

One thing ircks me though - what is up with the fake British accent?  LOL.

No idea, if I heard it, it would probably annoy me too, lol.

Written By: midnite on 08/25/08 at 5:58 pm

See her fake British accent below. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6cHmSchtM

I will check out the Give It To Me video.

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/08 at 6:15 pm

See her fake British accent below. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6cHmSchtM

I will check out the Give It To Me video.

You are right, that English accent is annoying, lol, purely because the accent she chose is so stereotypically English (taken from the Liz Hurley book of elocution, lol). Madonna may as well walk around with a bowler hat and an umberella while she's at it.

I would love to hear her speak in a thick yorkshire accent or a brummie accent (the one I technically have). Then she would impress me.  ;D

Written By: tv on 08/26/08 at 10:00 am

Thats funny people say she acts like a 20 year old because I hear she is a very heavy disciplinarian with her own kids. I don;t think she acted like a 20 year old 10 years ago though(1998) when her CD of "Ray Of Light" was successful she was actually pretty mature back then. I don;t know how she acts now though.

Written By: tv on 08/26/08 at 10:06 am

I don;t think "Confessions on the Dancefloor" should be considered a flop at sales at 1.6 million.

Written By: Sal on 08/31/08 at 3:39 am

I'm so tired of people saying she tanked after 1989!

Who on earth ever said that?  As a matter of fact, I believe she was more successful in the 90's than in the 80's (In the U.S. atleast)

Check for new replies or respond here...