inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lionel Richie's 1992 Comeback song.

Written By: tv on 08/26/08 at 10:50 am

An artist like Lionel Richie is usually associated with the 80's but he did make a comeback in 1992 with the single "Do It To One More Time". I thought "Do It To Me One More Time" it didn't sound 80's but it had that classic Lionel Richie signature laid back feel type of ballad that made Lionel famous in the 80's. Lionel also added another 90's hit in 1996's "I Don;t Wanna Lose You". What do you feel about Lionel's comeback song in 1992 though?

Subject: Re: Lionel Richie's 1992 Comeback song.

Written By: Paul on 08/26/08 at 11:09 am

Not a big hit in Britain, but one of the other 'new' songs (they were recorded for a compilation, if memory serves) did the trick here...'My Destiny'...

Both are fairly ho-hum affairs, but truth be told, anything of his from 1985-onwards was ho-hum...

It's rather telling that he's sold more compilations than original albums in Britain since that time!  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/26/08 at 11:17 am

I liked 'My Destiny' a lot better than 'Do It To Me'...but as Paul said, neither were as good as his earlier works...

On a side note, Lionel Richie was vacationing here in Hawaii recently, and one of my hubby's co-workers (who has some 'connections') got to go out to dinner with him... :D

Written By: Paul on 08/26/08 at 11:20 am

On a side note, Lionel Richie was vacationing here in Hawaii recently, and one of my hubby's co-workers (who has some 'connections') got to go out to dinner with him... :D

Wow! Wonder who paid?  ;)

Yes, Hawaii...playground of the rich and famous!  :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/26/08 at 11:25 am

Wow! Wonder who paid?  ;)

Heh!  ;)

Yes, Hawaii...playground of the rich and famous!  :D

Too bad I don't fall into either of those categories... ::)

Written By: Bobby on 08/29/08 at 4:47 pm

I liked both 'Do it to me one more time' and 'My destiny'. :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/08 at 8:30 pm

I really lost interest after his 'Dancing on the Ceiling' album, but gained back a little of that interest when he re-emerged full-time with 'Louder Than Words' in the mid-late 90s.  I always wondered had he not taken that hiatus, what kind of songs he would have done in the late 80s

'Louder Than Words', released in 1996 was his 4th studio album, which is funny considering his debut solo album came out in 1982.  Lionel, Lionel, Lionel .. why in the hell did you take that hiatus.  We missed you

Written By: Davester on 08/29/08 at 10:23 pm

wOw, that song is from '92?  Maybe I knew that already.  The nineties don't deserve such a beautiful song..!

Hiatuses are not for the weak, me boys...

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/08 at 4:25 pm

An artist like Lionel Richie is usually associated with the 80's but he did make a comeback in 1992 with the single "Do It To One More Time". I thought "Do It To Me One More Time" it didn't sound 80's but it had that classic Lionel Richie signature laid back feel type of ballad that made Lionel famous in the 80's. Lionel also added another 90's hit in 1996's "I Don;t Wanna Lose You". What do you feel about Lionel's comeback song in 1992 though?

Yeah, I'm a pretty big Lionel fan and I liked "Do it To Me". I agree that it doesn't really sound 80s (it's more smooth pop/R&B, but in his typical style). "My Destiny" (more of an upbeat love song) was good from then, too.

I heard he took that break after the Dancing on the Ceiling album because of his dad's death, he split up from his wife (I think she caught him cheating) and just had writers' block for awhile. If he'd had an album in, say 1989 I think it would've been a mix between that and the three new songs from that Back to Front album. Like a little less synthy and maybe would've had a little bit of a hip hop influence.

Speaking of comeback songs, I think his most recent one (from 2006) "I Call it Love" is one of his best. That sounds like an urban 90s slow jam ballad.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/31/08 at 7:14 pm

I really liked "Do It To Me One More Time". Back then I thought it was great to hear new music from Lionel again after a long hiatus.  :)

Written By: tv on 09/01/08 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, I'm a pretty big Lionel fan and I liked "Do it To Me". I agree that it doesn't really sound 80s (it's more smooth pop/R&B, but in his typical style). "My Destiny" (more of an upbeat love song) was good from then, too.

I heard he took that break after the Dancing on the Ceiling album because of his dad's death, he split up from his wife (I think she caught him cheating) and just had writers' block for awhile. If he'd had an album in, say 1989 I think it would've been a mix between that and the three new songs from that Back to Front album. Like a little less synthy and maybe would've had a little bit of a hip hop influence.

Speaking of comeback songs, I think his most I think one (from 2006) "I Call it Love" is one of his best. That sounds like an urban 90s slow jam ballad.
I was thinking about how Lionel took a break/hiatus but would he really fit in a 1989 music scene with "Milli Vanilli", Jody Watley, "New Kids On The Block" and Hair Metal? I think "Ballerina Girl" in early 1987 was his last hit before he took the long hiatus.

Yeah I liked "I Call It Love" too his daughter "Nicole" is in the music video for "I Call It Love" along with Adam Rodriguez(from the hit TV show "CSI Miami".)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/21/08 at 9:53 pm

I'm thinking he took the break because he adopted 10 year old Nicole Richie in 1990.

From IMDB:

Was adopted by Lionel Richie and his then-wife Brenda Harvey-Richie in 1990 and renamed Nicole Richie.

Check for new replies or respond here...