inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celine Dion - The Singles

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/08 at 12:53 am

Celine Dion began her career as a francophone singer and charted her first single in her native Quebec in 1981.  Her music career soon spread as far as Europe, most notably in France, where (in 1983) she became the first ever Canadian to recieve a gold record there.  Despite all this recognition, she had not yet reached the mainstream in Canada

In 1988, she represented Switzerland in the Eurovision Song Contest, and in 1989 (when she was still new to the English language), recorded the song Can't Live With You, Can't Live Without You, which was her 2nd ever english recording and debut chart single across Canada.  It was a duet with Billy Newton-Davis, a (American born) Canadian singer best remembered (in Canada) for the hits Right Beside You (1986) and I Can't Take It (1989)

She remains the most successful singer to emerge from Quebec, beating out other internationally known Quebecers such as Gino Vannelli, Andy Kim, Corey Hart, Roch Voisine and Men Without Hats.

Year 1989 1990 1990 1991 1991 1991 1992 1992 1992 1993 199319931993199419941994199519951996199619961996 1997 1997 1997 1997 1997 1998 1998 1999 1999 1999 2000 2000 2000 2000 2002 2002 2002 2003 2003 2007 2007 2008

Song Title Can't Live With You, Can't Live Without You <w/ Billy Newton-Davis> (If There Was) Any Other Way .............................................. Unison .............................................................................. Where Does My Heart Beat Now ............................................ The Last to Know ............................................................... Have A Heart ..................................................................... Beauty and the Beast <w/ Peabo Bryson> .................................. If You Asked Me To ............................................................. Nothing But My Broken Heart ................................................. Love Can Move Mountains .................................................... Water From the Moon .......................................................... Did You Give Enough Love .................................................... When I Fall in Love <w/ Clive Griffin> ........................................ The Power of Love .............................................................. Misled ............................................................................... Think Twice ....................................................................... Only One Road .................................................................... Tu M'aimes Encore (To Love Me Again) .................................... You Make Me Feel (Like A Natural Woman) ............................... Falling Into You ................................................................... Because You Loved Me ......................................................... It's All Coming Back to Me Now .............................................. To Love You More ............................................................... All By Myself ...................................................................... Call the Man ...................................................................... Tell Him <w/ Barbra Streisand> ................................................. The Reason ....................................................................... My Heart Will Go On ............................................................ Immortality <w/ The Bee Gees> ................................................ Treat Her Like A Lady .......................................................... I'm Your Angel <w/ R. Kelly> ................................................... The Prayer ......................................................................... That's the Way it Is ............................................................. Live (For the One I Love) ...................................................... The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face ...................................... I Want You to Need Me ........................................................ A New Day Has Come ........................................................... I'm Alive ............................................................................ Goodbye's (The Saddest Word) .............................................. I Drove All Night .................................................................. One Heart .......................................................................... Taking Chances .................................................................. Alone ................................................................................ The Prayer <w/ Josh Groban> ..................................................

CAN #41 #23 #38 #6 #16 #26 #2 #1 #3 #2 #7#17#21#1#4#13#17-#47-#1#1 #9 #7 - #47 - #1 #32 - #11 - #5  #23 - #1 #2 #21 #67 #1 #59 #9 #57 #37

USA - #35 - #4 - - #9 #4 #29 #36 - -#23 #1#23 #95 #93 - - - #1 #2 - #4 ---#1--#1#70#6-- - #22 - - #45 - #54 - #70

UK - - - #72 - - #9 #57 - #46 ---#4#15#1#8#7-#10#5#3 - #6 #11 #3 #11 #1 #5 #29 #3 - #12 - #19 - #7 #17 #38 - #27 #40 #85 -

Subject: Re: Celine Dion - The Singles

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/08 at 1:10 am

I never was a BIG fan, but of all her singles, I will always love 'Have A Heart' the best of all.  Just a beautiful song :)

Here's some trivia:  'It's All Coming Back to Me Now' was written by Jim Steinman in 1986 and first performed by Steinman's studio group Pandora's Box who took it to #51 in the UK during October of 1989.  It was then intended to appear on Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out of Hell II' album in 1993, but was decided to be saved for a possible 'Bat Out of Hell III' album.  In 2006, it became a reality and 'It's All Coming Back to Me Now' became Meat Loaf's first UK Top 10 single since 'Not A Dry Eye in the House' in 1996

This makes Celine one of only three artists (apart from Meat Loaf and Steinman himself) to reach the US Top 40 with a song written by Jim Steinman.  The other two being Air Supply (Making Love Out of Nothing At All) and Bonnie Tyler (Total Eclipse of the Heart / Holding Out For A Hero)

Written By: robby76 on 09/22/08 at 4:35 am

I'm not a big fan either. There's something about her that still niggles me. However she has done some great songs in and amongst the questionable big power ballads.

Here are my top Celine picks...

Loves
Only One Road
It's All Coming Back to Me Now
A New Day Has Come
The Prayer
That's the Way it Is
Misled

Immortality <w/ The Bee Gees>

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/22/08 at 7:16 pm

I mostly like Celine's early 90's songs, like "Where Does My Heart Beat Now" and "Love Can Move Mountains".  :)

Written By: nally on 09/22/08 at 7:20 pm

Let's see...

I liked "Beauty & The Beast" at the time it came out, and later saw the Disney movie of the same title.

Her 1996 album Falling Into You produced some great hits, which did well on the Adult Contemporary chart, as I recall. I liked listening to "Because You Loved Me" during the spring of that year, and "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" was pretty good too. As I recall, both songs went to #1 on Casey Kasem's American Top 20 countdown show, which I was an avid listener of at the time.

As for her later songs, "That's The Way It Is" is the one I liked the best.

Written By: tv on 09/25/08 at 9:45 am

Not really a big Celine fan at all but loved "If You Asked Me Too" it reminds of my days in summer camp. I like"(If There Was) Any Other Way", and "I"m Your Angel" w/R. Kelly was pretty good.

Written By: Midas on 09/25/08 at 10:46 am

Not a huge fan either.  I do like "Misled", "Because You Loved Me", "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" (I have the 12" single for that :P), "I Drove All Night" and "A New Day Has Come" and that's about it.

Written By: midnite on 09/25/08 at 6:40 pm

Thats ALOT of singles.  Yeah, I never got into her either.  Though many of my friends and ex's loved her.

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/08 at 9:34 pm

Pour que tu m'aimes encore... So good. That album D'eux, is the biggest selling French-language album in the history of the world.

Written By: Paul on 10/18/08 at 5:13 am

This makes Celine one of only three artists (apart from Meat Loaf and Steinman himself) to reach the US Top 40 with a song written by Jim Steinman.  The other two being Air Supply (Making Love Out of Nothing At All) and Bonnie Tyler (Total Eclipse of the Heart / Holding Out For A Hero)

Not quite three...big, bad Barry Manilow did the trick with 'Read 'Em And Weep' in 1983...

Quite odd how Celine's 'Think Twice' was only a fair-to-middling hit elsewhere, yet in Britain it clocked up sales of over a million and also took the best part of 4 months to hit the top!

Sadly, it's transgressed into one of the most popular choices to be slaughtered at any given karaoke... :P

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/08 at 10:05 am

Not quite three...big, bad Barry Manilow did the trick with 'Read 'Em And Weep' in 1983...

:o  I can't believe I missed that one. 

Written By: Zeb on 10/20/08 at 5:48 pm

:D Doesn’t her husband have an Ernest Hemmingway look-a-like convention to get to? :D

Check for new replies or respond here...