inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Food that was only around in the '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/13/08 at 5:20 pm

There's probably been a topic for this before, but I can't find it.

Anyway I've been DVR-ing lots of my old videotapes lately, especially stuff from 1991-'96/97 and there's lots of commercials for snacks or shortlived stuff at fast food places which I kinda forgot about (that's when commercials were cool enough to actually want to tape them!). Alot of it seemed to only be available then, here's a few:

Jack In the Box' breakfast pockets (that's probably just for the West Coast)
old-school Calistoga mineral water (in glass bottles)
Burger King tacos (they were only around in '94 for a really short time and they were SO good!)
Taco Bell - Double Decker and Four Alarm tacos, Sun-up sandwich
certain brands of Ben and Jerry's ice cream
Carls Jr' Superstars (they had that "If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face" commercial)

P.S. The funny thing is I've been a vegetarian since 2001, so I can't even have lots of that stuff anyway, but I still miss it. ;)

Subject: Re: Food that was only around in the '90s?

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/13/08 at 6:54 pm

How about Ecto Cooler (from Hi-C), I am not sure what the flavor was, but it was soooooo good.  I drank this stuff by the gallons in college and then ???????

Fat Free Cambell's Ramen Noodles - Another college staple that seemed to disappear.  I loved them because they tasted just like regular Ramen, but they were not loaded with all the fat......  Oh where are you now - I still get a craving for a good ole cup of Ramen Noodles.

Written By: nally on 10/13/08 at 8:06 pm

Jack In the Box' breakfast pockets (that's probably just for the West Coast)

They also had a chicken-and-rice bowl which I enjoyed, cuz it also contained veggies. They had it from like 1996 until about early '98. :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/13/08 at 10:38 pm

How about Ecto Cooler (from Hi-C), I am not sure what the flavor was, but it was soooooo good.  I drank this stuff by the gallons in college and then ???????

Fat Free Cambell's Ramen Noodles - Another college staple that seemed to disappear.  I loved them because they tasted just like regular Ramen, but they were not loaded with all the fat......  Oh where are you now - I still get a craving for a good ole cup of Ramen Noodles.

Oh yeah I remember those - I wish they were still around (a combination of me being a vegetarian AND on a diet, that would be perfect, lol). The closest thing are those Cup o Noodles soups, but they're not as good.

Yeah, I had those teriyaki bowls at Jack too. Does anybody remember the commercial that was on around 1993 (I have it on tape) where a skydiver orders it from the drive thru window, and the dude working there goes "You know, we oughta have a fly through!"

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/13/08 at 11:12 pm

I remember a time when KFC used to sell whole roasted Rotisserie chickens in the early (?) 1990's. I was disappointed when it was discontinued, because I thought they were really good (and a nice alternative to their usual fried foods).

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/14/08 at 5:57 pm

I remember a time when KFC used to sell whole roasted Rotisserie chickens in the early (?) 1990's. I was disappointed when it was discontinued, because I thought they were really good (and a nice alternative to their usual fried foods).

I remember those, and they were yummy. KFC also had the Chicken Littles that they discontinued (snackers are not the same). 

What about McDonald's McLean - I loved those sandwiches

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/14/08 at 6:04 pm

I have a commercial for KFC Rotisserie Chicken on videotape that I recorded in 1994. I don't believe I ever had one, but they did look good.

Written By: tonya on 10/18/08 at 9:07 pm

OMG!!!  so.....how about those carbonated drinks that were clear in glass bottles and had colored jelly beads in them?!  iа think it was called canadian clear or something!  they were gross but everyone drank them anyways!

Written By: Brian06 on 10/18/08 at 11:05 pm

Arch Deluxe at McDonalds.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/19/08 at 7:58 am

OMG!!!  so.....how about those carbonated drinks that were clear in glass bottles and had colored jelly beads in them?!  iа think it was called canadian clear or something!  they were gross but everyone drank them anyways!

Clearly canadian was a fruit flavored water.  Orbitz had the jellies in them

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/19/08 at 2:16 pm

LOL I forgot about that until now! ;) I just remembered, this guy who was my dad's roommate in 1994 had those in his half of the refridgerator. He was a cool guy, but when it came to his drinks, I always thought to myself Clearly Canadian? How about clearly disgusting. ;D

The irony is I usually love flavored or mineral water (i.e. Calistoga, Snapples) but those just weren't done right.

Written By: mango 2001 on 10/19/08 at 6:06 pm

clearly candian ms was so good my husband works for 7 up and they stop making it or stopped selling it, he brought about 6 huge things home and i had it gone with in 2 weeks. god i miss it. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 2:48 am

Jack In the Box' breakfast pockets

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/20/08 at 10:47 am

Ben and Jerry's Wavy Gravy -oh please come back from the graveyard :\'(

Written By: woops on 10/20/08 at 12:47 pm

Never heard of the Taco Bell Taco, though sounds like a Chlupa

Little Ceaser's used to sell spaghetti

Written By: nally on 10/20/08 at 12:48 pm

Little Ceaser's used to sell spaghetti

They did? I don't ever remember that, altho Pizza Hut does nowadays. ::) All I remember from Little Ceasers is the "Pizza Pizza!" catchphrase

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/21/08 at 9:44 pm

They did? I don't ever remember that, altho Pizza Hut does nowadays. ::) All I remember from Little Ceasers is the "Pizza Pizza!" catchphrase
You don't remeber the Pasta Pasta catch phrase then ;)

Written By: unkle_john on 10/22/08 at 2:23 pm

....Burger King tacos (they were only around in '94 for a really short time and they were SO good!)

Here in Texas they still serve them. They are the same as Jack-in-the-box. Same price too, two for 99 cents.

Written By: nally on 10/22/08 at 2:29 pm

You don't remeber the Pasta Pasta catch phrase then ;)

Yep. I was unaware of that. Perhaps it was used during an era of the 90's when I didn't watch a great deal of tv.

Written By: edna on 10/24/08 at 4:24 pm

Chicken littles. They were sandwiches at KFC

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/08 at 11:10 pm

McDonalds Pizza (though from what I hear, some McDonalds in the Maritimes still sell it)

The McDonalds restaurants around here used to sell Poutine.  I once tried to order just the gravy separately, but they told me they only sold the gravy as part of poutine.  Needless to say, their poutine tasted like piss

Check for new replies or respond here...