inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kmart in 1990

Written By: Oldschooler on 10/14/08 at 9:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp8WB8SCDdU

Does this look OLD or what?

Subject: Re: Kmart in 1990

Written By: Oldschooler on 10/14/08 at 9:09 am

Wrong link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnXWT3NHhiU

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/14/08 at 10:03 am

sh.it

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/14/08 at 4:31 pm

Oldschooler, you just made my day with that video. Reminds me of the now demolished K-Mart down the road from Carolina Circle Mall and the K-Mart in Winston-Salem (still open and still retro). I'm willing to bet that the music that was playing in the background (not the edited classic rock soundtrack) during that video was cool '80s music such as "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go". :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/14/08 at 5:45 pm

Oh I long for the old blue light special announcements "Attention, Attention we have a blue light special going on in the Ladies Lingerie section only for the next 1/2 hour, so make sure to stop by right now" Miss it so, and K-Mart was the first store that I knew that had a snack shop in an island in the middle of the store, I believe ours even had a restaraunt in the back of the store as well (like a real sit down, with menu's and waitress's), I always wanted to eat there, so sad.... But that was probably more of K-mart in the 70's.

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/08 at 5:49 pm

oddly enough it looks just like the kmart I shop in...except for the hair, the uniforms and the cash registers. 

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/14/08 at 7:48 pm

It's been so long since I last went to a Kmart. I once lived near a Kmart (in my early teens) and I used to go there with my mother for practically everything, even CD's and cassettes.

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/08 at 8:14 pm

The K-Mart we had here closed down around the mid-90s, but more than anything I preferred shopping there over Woolco or Zellers

The last time I can remember shopping at K-Mart, it was Christmas Time and I saw this set of 4 juice glasses that I knew my mom would like.  Last one on the shelf, and as I grabbed them, some fat old lady came along and tried to rip them from my hands.  I was pissed off, so I called her a bitch and told her not to mess with me, so when I finally got the glasses away from her, I grabbed some things off the shelf and put them in her cart ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/08 at 8:15 pm

The K-Mart we had here closed down around the mid-90s, but more than anything I preferred shopping there over Woolco or Zellers

The last time I can remember shopping at K-Mart, it was Christmas Time and I saw this set of 4 juice glasses that I knew my mom would like.  Last one on the shelf, and as I grabbed them, some fat old lady came along and tried to rip them from my hands.  I was pissed off, so I called her a bitch and told her not to mess with me, so when I finally got the glasses away from her, I grabbed some things off the shelf and put them in her cart ;D

;D

Written By: Blues_Pop_Jazz on 10/14/08 at 8:24 pm

K-Cafe, that's what they called the restaurant.

Great prices, don't know how they made a profit...

And Martha Stewart, ergggg.......... 8-P

Written By: midnite on 10/14/08 at 8:26 pm

The little cafe where the old ladies worked.  It was like a mini cafeteria.

That video looks old because of the big hair and skinny ties. 

And those sloppy messy shelves.  Hahaha

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/15/08 at 3:59 pm

I used to love to go to k-mart but the old tv ads with miss rosie o' donlle (or I like to call her miss o'doughnuts) and penny marshell annoys me you can't understand penny was saying.

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/08 at 8:57 pm

I used to love to go to k-mart but the old tv ads with miss rosie o' donlle (or I like to call her miss o'doughnuts) and penny marshell annoys me you can't understand penny was saying.

I loved those ads with Penny and Rosie.  It would have been funier had they used Cindy Williams instead

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/08 at 11:01 pm

Oh my......the hairdos....the stonewashed jeans....the mullets!!  :o ;D

Awesome video though.

We still have a Kmart in our town...it's not as groovy looking, but I like to shop there instead of Walmart.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 6:40 pm

Great prices, don't know how they made a profit...

And Martha Stewart, ergggg.......... 8-P

ditto on Martha Stewart B!TCH 8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/08 at 12:34 pm

Well today it may seem imaginable but back in the day K-mart was the Target of it's day. Then Target came along and those K-marts still in operation are now the TG&Y, and Newberry's back then. Like those stores in the 80's and early 90's, K-marts at least in these regions have become the old, dusty stores located in the old strips malls in the not so busy part of town. But at least when I do find myself in one they are still fun to look around.

we don't have a target or a walmart in santa barbara so Kmart is the only option if you want something cheap. 
We have a Ross Dress for Less but it feels more like goodwill than an actual goodwill store.  ;D

I buy almost all of my clothes at Kmart.  I got lucky enough to find jeans there for $2.50 (no that's not a typo). I bought every pair that fit me...about 10 pair  ;D

Written By: Marian on 10/18/08 at 1:33 pm

can't people pick on someone their own size? ;D ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/08 at 3:46 pm

Oh I long for the old blue light special announcements "Attention, Attention we have a blue light special going on in the Ladies Lingerie section only for the next 1/2 hour, so make sure to stop by right now" Miss it so, and K-Mart was the first store that I knew that had a snack shop in an island in the middle of the store, I believe ours even had a restaraunt in the back of the store as well (like a real sit down, with menu's and waitress's), I always wanted to eat there, so sad.... But that was probably more of K-mart in the 70's.

Ladies Lingerie, as opposed to Gentleman's Liingerie?
???

When I was in Jr. High in the '80s, if anybody found out your back-to-school clothes were from K-Mart, you were in for a hard year!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 2:41 am

Nike - Now in K-Marts Everywhere!

The knife twist in that growing up was that my parents were so poor that my clothes were from second hand stores. Thus new cloths were a luxury I didn't have for most of my childhood.

I grew up pretty poor myself in spite of both parents coming from upper middle class backgrounds, they were both too effed-up to hold down a career; I'm familiar with the stigma of going to school in the suburbs wearing cheap-azz ill-fitting clothes!
::)

More kids got K-Mart clothes than wanted to admit it.  I mean, in your early teens you're going to grow out of a pair of jeans in six months, so what's the point of spending top-dollar at the Gap? 

Nikes were a big deal when I was in the eighth grade.  Come to school in a pair of no-name discount sneaks and you might as well be a leper!  The kids didn't get it, the joke was on them.  They're probably shelling out $150 for their own kids' dumb sneakers right now!  A zillion adults don't get it either.  It's simple:
You have money.
The Nike corporation wants it.
They'll say anything to get it.
End of story.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thinkerg.gif

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/20/08 at 7:44 pm

When I was in Jr. High in the '80s, if anybody found out your back-to-school clothes were from K-Mart, you were in for a hard year!

It was like that when I was in junior high in the early 90's. It didn't stop me from wearing anything that came from Kmart, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/08 at 8:35 pm

It was like that when I was in junior high in the early 90's. It didn't stop me from wearing anything that came from Kmart, though.

Hey, better than going to class with no pants on, like in my bad dreams!
:-[

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/21/08 at 6:05 am

Well today it may seem imaginable but back in the day K-mart was the Target of it's day. Then Target came along and those K-marts still in operation are now the TG&Y, and Newberry's back then. Like those stores in the 80's and early 90's, K-marts at least in these regions have become the old, dusty stores located in the old strips malls in the not so busy part of town. But at least when I do find myself in one they are still fun to look around.

Now Newberrys thats a name I haven't heard in a while. How about a H&L Greens or Woolworth. All gobbled up by Sprawlmart I guess.
Does anyone remember Johns bargain Store? Or when they used to call stores the 5 and dimes?

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/21/08 at 7:39 pm

Now Newberrys thats a name I haven't heard in a while. How about a H&L Greens or Woolworth. All gobbled up by Sprawlmart I guess.
Does anyone remember Johns bargain Store? Or when they used to call stores the 5 and dimes?

I remember Newberry and Woolworth, plus McCrory and TG&Y. I also have vague memories of Woolco. My mother still has some figurines she bought at a Woolco not long before it went out of business.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/21/08 at 9:42 pm

We had a Woolworth's in the local mall when I was little (70's) and it had a connected Coffee shop/diner (same type of thing as K-Mart) what was this with going to a store and eating at it???? ???  Woolworth's had everything,you needed a tv, they had them, lamps, bedding, underwear, goldfish, finches, parakeets, pet food, birthday cards, hair stuff, pots pans, decorative wear, Curtains, etc...  Did they have furniture as well? I just remember that the store seemed endless as what you would get there. And I think I always got my 3 striped blue tennis shoes for PE there, no I did not get Nike until High school (when I paid for them).  Even worse than have your mom buy your clothes from K Mart, was buy them from Woolworth

Check for new replies or respond here...