inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The past coming back to life or meeting the present - a trend in '90s movies?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/08 at 3:55 pm

I just thought of this when I heard the guy who created Jurassic Park passed away. That was one of lots of movies I remember where they took something from the past and modernized it into the then-present, or where people time travelled.

That seemed to be a big part of fantasy tv and movies in the early-mid '90s. I remember another one called A Kid in King Arthur's Court (I think from 1995) where this 12ish year old kid gets sent back in time during a baseball game and has to live in Medieval times for awhile. I forget what the plot or the storyline 'cause I only saw parts of it on tv a long time ago, but I know he kinda falls in love with the King's daughter who'se around his age, and I recall people freaking out with his remnants of the present (like when he played hard rock music from his Walkman lol).

That kind of fantasy was big for '80s movies too (i.e. the two Bill and Ted's and of course the BTTF trilogy) but it seemed to become even more popular in the 90s, especially with kids stuff. There's lots more I'm sure, can you think of any?

Subject: Re: The past coming back to life or meeting the present - a trend in '90s movies?

Written By: woops on 11/05/08 at 4:13 pm

"Quantom Leap"

There's been episodes of tv show of characters either going back in time or dreaming about being in a time period like the wild west, which been done many times.

Not really from the'90's, but there was a sitcom titled "Do Over" where a grown man ends up in his teenage self  in the early '80's.

Subject: Re: The past coming back to life or meeting the present - a trend in '90s movies?

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/08 at 5:14 pm

Voyagers was an 80s TV show that did that.

What about Forever Young and Late for Dinner both movies where people from the past end up in the present.

Blast from the Past  kids grows up in a bomb shelter and comes out to find the world drastically changed from the world his parents taught him about.

Philadelphia Experiment (80s) about a WWII Sailor transplanted into the 1980s do to a navy experiment gone awry

Timeline (2003) archeologist students get trapped in 14th century

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/06/08 at 1:20 pm

Let's not forget Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/06/08 at 1:57 pm

Let's not forget Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Oh yeah even though I consider them to be more '80s, I can't believe I forgot that. I actually saw Bugus Journey first, at the theatre with one of my babysitters. It didn't feel as magical as the original, but in some ways I actually like it more (the scenes with Death were hilarious! ;D ).

Of course I forgot Encino Man too. That was one of my favorites when I was 11 or 12 (and still is). I can't believe how quick Link got used to modern life though, lol.

Written By: gibbo on 11/07/08 at 4:43 am

Final Countdown was a good example of this effect (but from the 80's)

Check for new replies or respond here...