inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any (old school) Offspring fans?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/08 at 9:58 pm

You guys might be surprised since I usually like alot of mainstream poppy music, but I had a friend in high school in the late 90s who liked alot of old-school punk bands and he got me into their early stuff from 1989-'94. They came out with "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" around then, but I went back and got their earlier albums (i.e. Smash and the first two) when they were more raw.

Even on their p*ssed off songs they had a humorous and intelligent side, so it never came across as totally angry and it was still catchy. I like "Kick Him When he's Down", Beheaded, Bad Habit, Session and What Happened to You the best.

Subject: Re: Any (old school) Offspring fans?

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/08 at 10:06 pm

When I was in High School, their song 'Self Esteem' was very popular.  I never liked Offspring, still don't, but I always thought 'Pretty Fly For A White Guy' had some appeal to it.  I am surprised they are still popular.  Their new song is fastly rising up the charts

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/08 at 10:11 pm

^ Oh yeah I love Rise and Fall - I'd totally recommend it to even casual fans of theirs. It's like a combination of Smash and Americana but with a 2008 feel to it. What's surprising is "Hammerhead" is one of the WEAKER songs on it, imo. The best ones I think are Trust in You, Stuff is Messed up, and Let's hear it for Rock Bottom. The better songs are towards the end too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/19/08 at 1:24 pm

I like the Offspring, I have a couple of their albums but I also think they're one of the weirdest bands ever. I mean, I like half of their songs and I can't stand the other half. When one of their songs comes on the radio I either like it so much that I crank it up or I'm so annoyed by it that I have to change the station, there's no middle ground.

Sometimes I wonder if they're just messing with us.  ;)

Written By: midnite on 11/19/08 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, their first album which was popular in 1994 was good IMO.  Then after that, they sold out and got corny.

Written By: Midas on 11/20/08 at 9:14 am

I like the Smash album and a couple other songs from them.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/20/08 at 7:15 pm

Back in '95 I bought their Smash album on cassette at Borders and just about wore it out playing it so much!  ;D

Written By: Gis on 11/24/08 at 3:12 am

I love The Offspring but Pretty Fly drove me nuts at the time i thought it was TERRIBLE! It's kind of grown on me a bit. I think the singer has the kind of voice you either love or hate.

Check for new replies or respond here...