inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Laserdiscs - Remember how huge these things were....

Written By: Scribbles on 11/25/08 at 3:07 pm

LOL I almost forgot about these. The laserdisc was the middleman between the VHS and DVD age.

One of my writers, Scott Harlow, typed this article below.

http://www.the90s.net/2008/11/tech-laserdiscs.html

Subject: Re: Laserdiscs - Remember how huge these things were....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/08 at 3:19 pm

I didn't.  ;D

Written By: karen on 11/25/08 at 3:33 pm

I worked in the Physics department of a university and we bought a laser disc player and a huge set of discs on a variety of Physics themes and experiments.  I wonder what happened to them...

Written By: Scribbles on 11/25/08 at 3:36 pm

Hahaha I can relate to that. It used be the teacher's most prized TV set!  ;D

They took extra careful care on the laserdisc player.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/08 at 4:05 pm

I remember seeing em in Sam Goody back in the mid 90s, though we never had a laserdisc player.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/08 at 5:47 pm

shoot I still have mine! it works great... I was just watching Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation LD on it the other day!

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/08 at 9:04 pm

HA I just hooked it up to my flat screen... now I'm watching Janet again!  8)

I have about 75 movies on LD.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/08 at 10:41 pm

I remember when Laser Discs were popular.  The first time I'd really seen what one looked like was on an episode of the short-lived 90s sitcom 'Something So Right'

I saw a whole bunch of Laser Discs at a flea market the other day.  The vendor was asking $5 each.  I don't know if that is a good price of not.  Not that I would've bought them, but they might be worth serious coin on ebay?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/25/08 at 10:42 pm

OMG..I just saw a crapload of these at Goodwill. I was like, "who is gonna buy those?"...and then when I went back the following week..they were gone! :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/25/08 at 10:49 pm

I saw these at places like Sam Goody all the time (mostly in the early 90's) and I really thought at one time Laserdiscs were going to permanently replace VCRs! Every now and then I see used Laserdiscs at thrift stores.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/08 at 11:56 pm

I remember when Laser Discs were popular.  The first time I'd really seen what one looked like was on an episode of the short-lived 90s sitcom 'Something So Right'

I saw a whole bunch of Laser Discs at a flea market the other day.  The vendor was asking $5 each.  I don't know if that is a good price of not.  Not that I would've bought them, but they might be worth serious coin on ebay?

nah not really making money on Ebay... I sold a few but not for much more than 5 bucks..

kinda want to know what titles you saw tho...

OMG..I just saw a crapload of these at Goodwill. I was like, "who is gonna buy those?"...and then when I went back the following week..they were gone! :o

dang... I was just going to ask you to check the titles... then I'd send you cash to pick some up for me  ;D

Written By: Scribbles on 11/26/08 at 12:54 pm

5 bucks...wow

Talk about a serious price drop.

Someone said they owned about 70 of these though?? :o    Can I be your friend... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/08 at 3:55 pm

5 bucks...wow

Talk about a serious price drop.

Someone said they owned about 70 of these though?? :o    Can I be your friend... ;D

sure  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...