inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Franklin (the turtle) animated series.

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/08 at 11:59 pm

Apollonia asked a question about Spongebob.... that led to like 20 questions I had about spongebob....

well I have similar questions about a show I enjoy (even tho its geared to preschoolers)  :-[

First has anyone seen Franklin?

Franklin is a turtle- presumably in K  or 1st grade. 

His best friend is Bear a bear who is always hungry and usually Franklin's moral compass.

Franklin is also friends with Beaver, Fox, Rabbit, Goose, Snail, Mr Mole.... you get the point all the animals in the animal kingdom.

Anyway- here are my questions... god this thread is gonna die quick  ;D

1. Why is Franklin the only character with a name? Everyone else goes by their animal name... which is, presumably their last name since the adults are always Mrs Beaver, Mr. Bear, Mr & Mrs Turtle... yep just Franklin is Franklin

Eventually in later seasons both Franklin and Bear get little sisters and they have names.   

2. How come Goose is personified but the birds in the trees, like Robins are not?

3. Franklin has a goldfish he keeps in a bowl. And once he found a puppy... why are these pets, as we would see them rather than cognitive beings like the other animals in the series?

4. How come Fox and Rabbit can be such good friends  ;D  I keep waiting for Fox to eat Rabbit  :-\\

I think I have more but the show comes on at 5am here so I have since forgotten my other questions...

for the record its a pretty good show. Quiet educational for a self conscious child but still I always tend to over think these things.

Subject: Re: Franklin (the turtle) animated series.

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/08 at 12:26 am

♪ Hey, it's Franklin! ♫

Franklin the Turtle is from Canada, and quickly rose as one of the most popular Canadian kids shows to be aired in other countries.  That 1st question you posed has always baffled me as well

I haven't seen much of Franklin but if I'm flipping channels and I see it's on, I will watch it lol

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 12:35 am

Franklin could count by twos and tie his shoes....

I just saw an ep yesterday where all the 'animals' were showing off what they could do... Bear climbed a tree, Beaver chewed down a tree, rabbit jumped:

Beaver to Franklin- What can you do Frank-lin? (What a friggin' bitch ::) )
Franklin- I can count by twos and tie my shoes (I think its the only time this classic line was actually used in an episode)
Bear- We can all do that but what special talent do you have?    ;D

Yeah it's pretty obvious that it's Canadian... I don't care what my friend from BC says there is totally a Candian accent  ;D

Jake Goldsbie (Toby from Degrassi Next Gen plays Possum) but I have yet to see an episode where Possum speaks  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/08 at 11:52 pm

you are so funny, Q. ;D  I love Franklin...it always gives me a warm and cozy feeling while watching it.

Written By: Scribbles on 12/07/08 at 5:37 am

My brother used to watch this when he was young.

I can't believe I still remember the theme song and he doesn't  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 12:44 pm

My brother used to watch this when he was young.

I can't believe I still remember the theme song and he doesn't  ;D

its a good theme song.... one worth remembering!

Written By: Signals7777 on 12/07/08 at 2:15 pm

I use to watch Franklin and Little Bear on Nick between 98-01

I was in middle school by the time they both went off the air, but where I lived morning tv sucked so I watched Nick.

Written By: ~NeonFire372~ on 12/08/08 at 4:44 pm

I watched Franklin as a kid... loved it. CBC Saturday Mornings just aren't the same anymore.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 9:03 pm

I use to watch Franklin and Little Bear on Nick between 98-01

I was in middle school by the time they both went off the air, but where I lived morning tv sucked so I watched Nick.

I watched an ep of Little Bear last night... and laughed my ass off...but only because it was so bad.

The first story was about Little Bear finding a doe... but what bugged me was he called his parents Mother Bear and Father Bear... weird.

Then the Mom was wearing a full length skirt, long sleeved shirt and an apron (a sleeveless one that slipped over head and was almost as long as her skirt)

The dad was wearing a three piece suit

Little Bear was naked.  ::)  The parents seemed too prudish to let their son run around like that.

The second story involved LB pretending to be invisible.  His friends Cat, Hen, Duck, & Owl wanted to play hide & seek and LB just stood there because he was "invisible" then he revealed the other's hiding places.  ::)  Duck decided to show him that they weren't having any fun so they all pretended to be "invisible" but he didn't get it because they were saying "you can't see me I'm invisible" but he was looking right at them... poor thing I think he really thought he was invisible and his friends completely crushed his imagination.... what kind of story is that to send to kids?

Check for new replies or respond here...