inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: West Side vs East Side

Written By: joeman on 12/10/08 at 10:36 am

Which side did you like the most during the gangsta rap conflict in the mid-90s?  I pick West-Side.

Subject: Re: West Side vs East Side

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 3:20 pm

I live in Cali so I had to throw down for the West Side... tho really I love rap I don't care where it comes from....

How come no ones representing for the Dirty South?  They've been in the game for a long time!

Written By: Satish on 12/10/08 at 3:53 pm

I didn't really have a preference, either way. Anyway, I refuse to pick sides in the conflict, since two guys got killed over it.

Written By: joeman on 12/10/08 at 4:01 pm

I live in Cali so I had to throw down for the West Side... tho really I love rap I don't care where it comes from....

How come no ones representing for the Dirty South?  They've been in the game for a long time!

I guess I could since I am from Tampa, Florida :).  But then again, Dirty South is more glam rap now which I am not too fond of.

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 4:05 pm

I guess I could since I am from Tampa, Florida :).  But then again, Dirty South is more glam rap now which I am not too fond of.

glam rap  ;D  that's true for now but before... It wasn't

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/01/09 at 10:56 pm

I have to pick the West Coast.  My reason is this, really the East Coast Ganster Rap movement was just one record label, the infamous Bad Boy Entertainment. I mean there was the Wu-Tang Clan as well I guess but that really was it. For the most part the 90's on the East Coast was Heavy D, LL Cool J, and a fw other feel good acts like TLC.  This was particularly true in the start of the decade. The West Coast had of course Death Row but there was also Ruthless Records, Priority Records and acts like Ice-T, Ice Cube, and Too Short.  For all of this I cast my vote to the West side cause you and I know it was the Best side.

Written By: Midas on 01/07/09 at 10:34 pm

I have to pick the West Coast.  My reason is this, really the East Coast Ganster Rap movement was just one record label, the infamous Bad Boy Entertainment. I mean there was the Wu-Tang Clan as well I guess but that really was it. For the most part the 90's on the East Coast was Heavy D, LL Cool J, and a fw other feel good acts like TLC.  This was particularly true in the start of the decade. The West Coast had of course Death Row but there was also Ruthless Records, Priority Records and acts like Ice-T, Ice Cube, and Too Short.  For all of this I cast my vote to the West side cause you and I know it was the Best side.

WORD.  I voted West Side also.  602 representin' 8)

Written By: midnite on 01/08/09 at 7:15 pm

West Side - Ice-T, NWA, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Short Dog, Snoop Dog, Tupac.

East Side - Wu-Tang, Notorious BIG, Kool G. Rap & Polo, Jay-Z, Nas, Mobb Deep.

South - Geto Boys from Texas (they were nasty). Master P.

I am a diehard East Coast fan since I grew up minutes away from NYC.  However, for gangsta rap, it was never quite as nasty, dirty, and popular on the East Coast as it was on the West Coast.

Gangsta Rap Factoid - Ice-T was actually born in Newark, New Jersey and moved to California in his early teens to start the Gangsta Rap Genre.

Written By: joeman on 01/08/09 at 10:53 pm

I am a diehard East Coast fan since I grew up minutes away from NYC.  However, for gangsta rap, it was never quite as nasty, dirty, and popular on the East Coast as it was on the West Coast.

Gangsta Rap Factoid - Ice-T was actually born in Newark, New Jersey and moved to California in his early teens to start the Gangsta Rap Genre.

I believe Tupac was born in New York too.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 2:58 pm

South - Geto Boys from Texas (they were nasty).

Sally That Girl!  oh no that was the Gucchi Crew

the Ghetto Boys...don't know them...  but thanks for recalling some truly dirty lyrics to the forefront of my mind  ;D

oh wait... ghetto boys did 6 feet deep.... that was a good song.. but it was no Sally that Girl  ;D

Written By: 90steen on 01/10/09 at 11:53 am

Westside definitely. I live in California, lived here my whole life. West side for the most part.

Written By: tv on 01/11/09 at 9:40 am

What about "A Tribe Called Quest" or "Public Enemy" for the East Coast? "Public Enemy" was still pretty popular around 1990 or 1991 until their fame faded in the mainstream around 1992 or 1993. "A Tribe Called Quest" was pretty popular in the first half of the 90's. I could include "PM Dawn" who are from Jersey City, New Jersey but their music was always all over the board in terms of "genres of music".

Written By: Davester on 01/11/09 at 2:56 pm

If those are examples of East/West artists then my faves have always been West Coast, exclusively...

Written By: midnite on 01/12/09 at 7:32 pm

What about "A Tribe Called Quest" or "Public Enemy" for the East Coast? "Public Enemy" was still pretty popular around 1990 or 1991 until their fame faded in the mainstream around 1992 or 1993. "A Tribe Called Quest" was pretty popular in the first half of the 90's. I could include "PM Dawn" who are from Jersey City, New Jersey but their music was always all over the board in terms of "genres of music".

Wait. If we are discussing Gangsta Rap, we should not include Public Enemy or A Tribe Called Quest.  Yes, they are great influential east coast groups but not Gangsta Rap.

IF WE ARE NOT COMPARING GANSTA RAP AND STRICTLY RAP SKILLS ON THE EAST AND WEST COAST, THEN EAST COAST MUST WIN!!!

Written By: joeman on 01/17/09 at 12:06 pm

I am a diehard East Coast fan since I grew up minutes away from NYC.  However, for gangsta rap, it was never quite as nasty, dirty, and popular on the East Coast as it was on the West

How would you compare these rappers today?  Biggy Smalls movie is coming out with a potential of a larger fanbase and lately Ice Cube is making family movies directed by Fred Durst.

Check for new replies or respond here...