inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Even kid shows back then didn't seem so kiddiesh

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/08 at 8:28 pm

I remember watching Fox kids and other adolescent shows and remembering how much older the teenagers of the 90's looked. I remember Power Rangers and how they seemed older than today's 18 year olds on the Disney channel.

I liked the advertisements back then too. I know they are trying to make money, but why was there a maturity to the 90's that the 00's just doesn't have? And there's just something so barbiesh about today's blond stars. I don't really care for Miley Cyrus because I'm a 20 year old guy and also because I don't like how plasticy she looks. It started around 1999 and I started noticing how kiddiesh everything seemed. It was probably because it was the beggining of the teen pop explosion. I started to not like listening to the radio during this time.

So what do you guys think? Is it just me or did kids and teenagers in shows back then seem older?

Subject: Re: Even kid shows back then didn't seem so kiddiesh

Written By: snozberries on 12/19/08 at 11:42 pm

I remember watching Fox kids and other adolescent shows and remembering how much older the teenagers of the 90's looked. I remember Power Rangers and how they seemed older than today's 18 year olds on the Disney channel.

I liked the advertisements back then too. I know they are trying to make money, but why was there a maturity to the 90's that the 00's just doesn't have? And there's just something so barbiesh about today's blond stars. I don't really care for Miley Cyrus because I'm a 20 year old guy and also because I don't like how plasticy she looks. It started around 1999 and I started noticing how kiddiesh everything seemed. It was probably because it was the beggining of the teen pop explosion. I started to not like listening to the radio during this time.

So what do you guys think? Is it just me or did kids and teenagers in shows back then seem older?

I think most "teens" in the 90s were in their 20s and more teens now are actually teens..

Written By: joeman on 12/20/08 at 1:38 am

I think most "teens" in the 90s were in their 20s and more teens now are actually teens..

Very true, heck Pauly Shore played a teen in BioDome and he was 28 at the time.

I do agree with the poster though, Dawson's Creek for example was for teenagers at the time, but it seemed, to me, that the stories were based off experiences of the creators experiences when they were teens rather than basing on what teens were doing back in 98.

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/08 at 10:12 am

Very true, heck Pauly Shore played a teen in BioDome and he was 28 at the time.

I do agree with the poster though, Dawson's Creek for example was for teenagers at the time, but it seemed, to me, that the stories were based off experiences of the creators experiences when they were teens rather than basing on what teens were doing back in 98.

The only "teen" actor on Dawson's Creek (of the main four characters) was Michelle Williams she was 18 at the time the show started.

Joshua Jackson and Katie Holmes were 20 and James Van Der Beek was 21 weren't they playing 15 year olds in season one?

Written By: Bree on 12/20/08 at 11:06 am

Let's not forget "Beverly Hills, 90210"  ::)

Written By: joeman on 12/20/08 at 1:36 pm

The only "teen" actor on Dawson's Creek (of the main four characters) was Michelle Williams she was 18 at the time the show started.

Joshua Jackson and Katie Holmes were 20 and James Van Der Beek was 21 weren't they playing 15 year olds in season one?

Yeah

Reminds of an old Simpsons joke when they brought out Luke Perry and someone said that he is one of the 30 year olds playing teens on 90210

Check for new replies or respond here...