inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pauly Shore

Written By: joeman on 01/15/09 at 4:49 pm

He was so huge in the 90's. even though he played the same character. 
He made a movie in 2003 called "Pauly Shore is Dead" when Pauly faked his death so people can remember him.  What was funny was that Pauly was hated before he faked his death because of his TV show Pauly.

Do you think he can get big again?  I mean Charlie Sheen was in the same situation but he bounced back with "Two and a Half Men", so maybe Pauly can do the same.

Subject: Re: Pauly Shore

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/09 at 8:27 pm

There's already a thread meant for Pauly--

"Why does this exist?"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/15/09 at 11:15 pm

I don't think he will...although, I will say that he is much hotter now than he ever was. :P

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/09 at 10:05 pm

Other than Encino Man, the only thing I really cared for him in was an episode of "Married ... With Children" where he played Al's boss at that Burger joint ...

"You didn't make the noise Bundy"
(Al in a sarcastic voice):"  "WOOSH!"

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/09 at 2:05 pm

Anything at this point, is possible.

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/09 at 5:49 pm

Anything at this point, is possible.

http://earbuds.popdose.com/jefito/vault/debbieaip.jpg

Written By: Tia on 01/17/09 at 5:54 pm

the first thing i thought of was robert downey jr.'s big comeback. i love comebacks. i'm not sure pauly shore can have a comeback because he never really was, that much, but if it turned out he was actually incredibly perceptive and talented all this time and we all missed it, maybe. (i also think about marky mark's transformation into mark wahlberg.) i just don't think he has it in him but who knows?

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/09 at 6:10 pm

the first thing i thought of was robert downey jr.'s big comeback. i love comebacks. i'm not sure pauly shore can have a comeback because he never really was, that much, but if it turned out he was actually incredibly perceptive and talented all this time and we all missed it, maybe. (i also think about marky mark's transformation into mark wahlberg.) i just don't think he has it in him but who knows?

It was a MARVEL of a comeback for Downey Jr.  What Iron Man did for him, maybe Captain America could do for Pauly Shore?  No?  Maybe he could be Electro in the 4th Spiderman movie?  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 10:39 am

http://earbuds.popdose.com/jefito/vault/debbieaip.jpg

I knew you would do that!

;D

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/26/09 at 8:11 pm

No. He will not. He played Teen-agers when he was clearly too old for those parts but he got away with it. He couldn't get away with that today. If he makes a come-back I can picture him playing a cameo as a bufoon-ish high school teacher in a B-grade high school sex comedy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/27/09 at 8:27 pm

He was so huge in the 90's. even though he played the same character. 
He made a movie in 2003 called "Pauly Shore is Dead" when Pauly faked his death so people can remember him.  What was funny was that Pauly was hated before he faked his death because of his TV show Pauly.

Do you think he can get big again?  I mean Charlie Sheen was in the same situation but he bounced back with "Two and a Half Men", so maybe Pauly can do the same.

Yeah, I'd say 1992-96 were his big years (well probably earlier too, if you count his time on MTV and he had a show called Totally Pauly). I really dug him when I was a kid then, especially in Encino Man and Son in Law, he seemed like a lovable goofy stoner/rocker/party dude, but one who'd always be your friend. I can understand how that "weasel" character got old after several years though, and he probably wanted to move beyond it too.

I'd say he probably could get popular again, but not to the extent in the early and mid 90s, and on a different level. Like he'd probably do more sophisticated comedy and not quite as silly. Those movies are kinda long enough ago now where it's not as fresh in people's minds anymore (like to people who don't like him), so that might not hinder him as much anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/28/09 at 1:22 am

Pauly Shore has turned up on a few episodes of HBO's Entourage, playing himself as the arch-nemesis of Johnny "Drama" Chase, and he was quite funny.

I can't see Pauly Shore ever becoming even a B-list celebrity ever again but he also seems quite aware of that fact and doesn't seem to mind poking fun at his own "has-been" status.

Plus I think it's a safe bet that he's still a multi-millionaire, so why the hell should he care?

Written By: joeman on 01/29/09 at 10:30 am

I'd say he probably could get popular again, but not to the extent in the early and mid 90s, and on a different level. Like he'd probably do more sophisticated comedy and not quite as silly. Those movies are kinda long enough ago now where it's not as fresh in people's minds anymore (like to people who don't like him), so that might not hinder him as much anymore.

That is my thoughts too, maybe he can branch out into something different.

Carrot Top is getting popular again slowly, but that is due to his new gimmick, which is being a body building freak.

Written By: Zeb on 02/13/09 at 9:25 am

When I was a kid I saw Son in Law in the theatre; that’s about all the attention I have ever paid him.

Written By: 1993 on 02/17/09 at 2:17 pm

Never understood his appeal. Didn't find him the least bit funny.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 02/20/09 at 1:58 am

It was a MARVEL of a comeback for Downey Jr.  What Iron Man did for him, maybe Captain America could do for Pauly Shore?  No?  Maybe he could be Electro in the 4th Spiderman movie?  ;D

Not to mention his performance in Tropic Thunder.  He is an American actor that plays a British actor that plays a African-American grunt.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/21/09 at 6:25 pm

;D

Yeah even though I like him, I think it's an acquired taste. Part of his appeal I think was that "lovable goof" type of guy. It was stupid humor but in a fun way.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/22/09 at 3:52 am

I know not agreeable with most, but Pauly Shore HAD to be be the most annoying, most UNfunny person that existed EVER.

What I figured is it was something about being stupid or ignorant and still being able to function in a regular setting.
Mr. Shore was the best example of that. He only seemed to appriceate what existed, but without the drama.

Written By: Frank on 02/24/09 at 1:42 am

There's already a thread meant for Pauly--

"Why does this exist?"

Excellent post. !  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...