inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dave Matthews Band

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 5:31 pm

Okay, recently I have realized there is quite a large amount of fans of the Dave Matthews Band. Now, don't get me wrong, they are just okay with me. I am not passionate about them and have never once bought an album of theirs, but have heard enough of what they've done to be blatantly unimpressed. Now, being that most of us who belong to his board are pretty passionate about music, one wonders if Dave Matthews Bands warms anyone's cockles on here or if they feel about the same as I do (that they're just kinda "blah.")

Well, I guess I should see what everyone's input is and go from there!

Subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band

Written By: Davester on 01/20/09 at 5:46 pm

Ran (not walked) to buy Under the Table and Dreaming when it was released in 1994...

We enjoy the Dave Matthews Band as we enjoy David Gray - as a lighter more relaxed musical escape when we're not in the mood for the harder stuff.  Dave Matthews is good to go in my book... :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/20/09 at 5:47 pm

Ran (not walked) to buy Under the Table and Dreaming when it was released in 1994...

We enjoy the Dave Matthews Band as we enjoy David Gray - as a lighter more relaxed musical escape when we're not in the mood for the harder stuff.  Dave Matthews is good to go in my book... :)

It's cool :0) I think their music is harmless in a way, where it doesn't exactly irritate me in the same way that other artists do, but I guess if I am going to go for something lighter, I might just turn to something else because I still need a different kind of stimulation. I guess it's just how my brain works. Now, I DO like David Gray - I can agree with you on that :0)

Written By: Davester on 01/20/09 at 6:11 pm

It's cool :0) I think their music is harmless in a way, where it doesn't exactly irritate me in the same way that other artists do, but I guess if I am going to go for something lighter, I might just turn to something else because I still need a different kind of stimulation. I guess it's just how my brain works. Now, I DO like David Gray - I can agree with you on that :0)

No prob.  Their "Some Devil" is one of my favorite deliciously depressing songs...

But I'll spare you the sample...

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/09 at 12:48 am

to be honest I recognize the name but right now cannot name one song they have done.

Written By: Davester on 01/21/09 at 3:39 am

to be honest I recognize the name but right now cannot name one song they have done.

"What Would You Say" from Under the Table and Dreaming was a commercial success.  Lots of airplay.  If you've heard any of their songs, it'll probably be that one...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/21/09 at 6:02 pm

I love them, have most of the albums and can testify they are brilliant live too.

No prob.  Their "Some Devil" is one of my favorite deliciously depressing songs...

But I'll spare you the sample...

You said always ...and forever ;)

My favorite song is Granny, i could listen to it every single day 8)

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/22/09 at 6:35 am

I just can't stand it when my father sings "Typical Situation", he sang it to death when it first came out; I would frequently tell him to "quiet down" after he "sings" it for the unteenth time! I don't follow that band much, but my fave is "Rhyme and Reason", especially for the saxophone solo.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/22/09 at 2:25 pm

I don't like DMB. They're sooo... Vanilla. Plain and forgettable. Except for on song: They did one with the Blue Man Group called 'Sing Along', I think, and I love that song.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/22/09 at 2:33 pm

Ah but you can always rely on vanilla :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/09 at 5:41 pm

I love them, have most of the albums and can testify they are brilliant live too.

You said always ...and forever ;)

My favorite song is Granny, i could listen to it every single day 8)

Isn't "Always and Forever" that song by Heat Wave? Much better song, I am sure of it  ;) j/k 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/09 at 5:43 pm

I don't like DMB. They're sooo... Vanilla. Plain and forgettable. Except for on song: They did one with the Blue Man Group called 'Sing Along', I think, and I love that song.

I get that very much. Vanilla is a perfect term for their kind of music. "Hootie and the Blowfish" kind of fall into that category, although, Darius Rucker can sing very well. So, at least they have that much going for them  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/09 at 6:24 pm

so I guess I've heard that one song...see I already forgot what it was.... but honestly I youtubed it and had to listen for more than a minute before I recognized it so I guess I've only heard the chorus on commercials....  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 01/23/09 at 5:39 am

Isn't "Always and Forever" that song by Heat Wave? Much better song, I am sure of it  ;) j/k 

It's a line from "Some Devil"...

I'd lump DMB in with some other popular non-grunge acts of the time (anti-grunge?) such as Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, the aforementioned Hootie and the Blowfish, &etc...

Owned Hootie & the Blowfish's first album, too.  It was the last great time for music...

Written By: woops on 01/23/09 at 4:31 pm

"What Would You Say" and "Crash Into Me" are the only songs I'm familiar with

Not my cup of tea, though "What Would You Say" is catchy...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/24/09 at 7:13 pm

It's a line from "Some Devil"...

I'd lump DMB in with some other popular non-grunge acts of the time (anti-grunge?) such as Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, the aforementioned Hootie and the Blowfish, &etc...

Owned Hootie & the Blowfish's first album, too.  It was the last great time for music...

DMB are the best of the bunch,i find. And you are right (besides a few exceptions now) in the early 90's music was still rockin. Where are the good live bands now? These days albums are so overproduced that no one really needs to know how to play or sing anymore :(

Written By: Davester on 01/24/09 at 10:15 pm

DMB are the best of the bunch,i find. And you are right (besides a few exceptions now) in the early 90's music was still rockin. Where are the good live bands now? These days albums are so overproduced that no one really needs to know how to play or sing anymore :(

You don't care much for Collective Soul, eh?  I think they were great up to a point, Blender being their last good album, IMO.  They were the closest thing to being a classic seventies rock band without actually being in the seventies...

To the second part, of course I'm in agreement...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/09 at 6:28 pm

You don't care much for Collective Soul, eh?  I think they were great up to a point, Blender being their last good album, IMO.  They were the closest thing to being a classic seventies rock band without actually being in the seventies...

To the second part, of course I'm in agreement...

Not a big fan but i remember listening to some of their stuff when everyone else was too,they were ok 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...