inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jennifer Paige in French Top 40

Written By: Anona Maas on 01/23/09 at 7:29 pm

:DThe Crush girl is currently making her first chart showing of any consequence since her 1998 international hit: Ta Voix (The Calling) has been hovering at the lower end of the French Top 40 for the last four weeks. The song was written by Jennifer & featured on Best Kept Secret her first album in eight years: the single adds a vocal in French by sometime star chanteuse  Lââm & a video was shot to make the song make sense as a female duet: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_5mGqIbPU7M

Subject: Re: Jennifer Paige in French Top 40

Written By: Bree on 01/23/09 at 7:36 pm

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/291875.jpg  :-*

"Crush" rules  8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/09 at 9:47 pm

as LyricBoy would say "I'd party with her"

I never really cared much for Jennifer Paige's music, but man she was cute

Written By: tv on 01/25/09 at 6:40 pm

I really liked Jennifer Paige back in 1998 and I thought she would have had a big career but it never happened for her after "Crush". The single after "crush" which was "Sober" got music video airplay on Much Music in Canada but not in the states. After that Jennifer was done.  I think like Terrance Trent D' Arby 10 years earlier(1988) her singing career ended too soon. Of course had D' Arby kept his mouth shut his career would have lasted longer but thats a topic for the 80's board.

Written By: Anona Maas on 01/26/09 at 7:18 pm

http://anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/jump31.gifI guess viewed from this point in time Terence & Jennifer's overall chart impact might seem roughly equivalent but actually Terence did have three Top 40 Pop hits including a no#1 all of which were Top 10 R&B: he also had a an additional Top 20 R&B hit & in the UK had nine Top 20 hits into the mid-90s. Jennifer Paige is in fact that comparative rarity: a genuine one-hit wonder. I think it was her misfortune to score with Crush  at or around the same time a glut of comparable chantoosies came on the scene: unlike Jen her prospective rivals had labels prepared to put star-making machinery behind them & so they became stars while she was eclipsed. Jen's shown remarkable perseverance in getting the CD Best Kept Secret out after eight years of near silence: sad that the CD's title has proven prophetic. It would have been wonderful if the ploy of doctoring one of the CD's tracks with a vocal by an established French singer had fired up Jennifer's comeback bid but reality has proven less remarkable only making Jennifer a slightly larger footnote a musique annals. As Jen did co-write Ta Voix & I believe co-produced it hopefully her efforts will bring her reasonable renumeration. Still while I admire her tenacity & do think Jennifer Paige deserved to be more than a one hit wonder I can't really say talentwise she rates a major comeback.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/27/09 at 4:07 pm

I really liked Jennifer Paige back in 1998 and I thought she would have had a big career but it never happened for her after "Crush". The single after "crush" which was "Sober" got music video airplay on Much Music in Canada but not in the states. After that Jennifer was done.  I think like Terrance Trent D' Arby 10 years earlier(1988) her singing career ended too soon. Of course had D' Arby kept his mouth shut his career would have lasted longer but thats a topic for the 80's board.

Yeah I love "Crush" too, it's so catchy and almost has an innocent 80s style. I've wondered if Jennifer didn't get more popular because Britney and the teenpop stuff really came out around the turn from 1998 into '99 just around the time Crush was released? It was probably bad timing, but I also thought that was the best song on the album.

I agree about Terence Trent D'arby too. I actually like "Sign Your Name" way more than Wishing Well.

Written By: woops on 01/27/09 at 4:42 pm

I remember the song and thought it was OK (I was more into older pop then), but actually ended up liking it a few years ago.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/28/09 at 1:40 am

Great song always loved it.

Written By: tv on 01/28/09 at 12:24 pm

http://anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/jump31.gifI guess viewed from this point in time Terence & Jennifer's overall chart impact might seem roughly equivalent but actually Terence did have three Top 40 Pop hits including a no#1 all of which were Top 10 R&B: he also had a an additional Top 20 R&B hit & in the UK had nine Top 20 hits into the mid-90s. Jennifer Paige is in fact that comparative rarity: a genuine one-hit wonder.
Yeah I just looked at Wikipedia and Terrance Trent D'Arby as you said did have 3 Top 40 hits, (4 Top 20 R&B hits) in the US and 9 Top 20 hits in the UK so he was alot more successful in the UK and into the mid 90's where as in America he was more of a late 80's phenom.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 02/20/09 at 2:03 am

I like "Crush" as well, but doesn't it sort of sound like it could have been Mariah Carey song?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/21/09 at 6:09 pm

I like "Crush" as well, but doesn't it sort of sound like it could have been Mariah Carey song?

Wow it does! It sounds kinda like her "Dreamlover" type of songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...