inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Freejack (1992 movie about the future "2009").

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/27/09 at 3:59 pm

Has anyone ever seen it? I heard about it on VH1 at the time (probably because Mick Jagger is in it lol, he plays the villian) on this movie documentary program called Flix they used to do. Basically it's about this guy Emilio Estevez plays who dies in 1991 and in "the future" in 2009 they find a way to time travel back to the instant before he died in order to use his body...apparently it's a dark, post-apocalyptic world.

Anyway I remembered thinking how "2009" sounded really futuristic, even if I knew it wasn't really that far off. Of course the depiction is really funny and exaggerated, they always overpredict the future. Now I really wanna see the movie, especially since we're actually there now!

I found some clips on youtube - first the trailer, then a car chase scene. They depict it like a cross of the 80s and a sci fi world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlaE_8zcMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31U1hyow_U

Subject: Re: Freejack (1992 movie about the future "2009").

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 7:52 pm

I saw Freejack when it originally came out.  To me, it was the typical Hollywood way of depicting the future:  nothing but fiction.  Regardless, I loved the movie and thought Mick Jagger did an excellent job.  If I recall correctly, it was his first ever acting role in a movie

Jagger isn't the only musician in the movie.  Watch for David Johansen as Estevez's friend

I can't wait for this define:Freejackto come to Blu-Ray

Written By: midnite on 01/29/09 at 9:00 am

You know, I think I've finally stepped into the future. A couple of days ago I realized that the 90's seem so far away now, and that I've almost lived another full decade.

I agree. LOL.  Its been almost 10 years since the "scary" Y2K computer bug.

Written By: Satish on 01/29/09 at 12:25 pm

Yeah, the year 2009 is nothing like how it was depicted in Freejack. That awful movie bombed at the box office, so I don't think anyone remembers!  ;D I feel sorry for Anthony Hopkins that he had to appear in it! A great actor like him deserves better!

There's all sorts of examples of future fiction missing the mark. The year 1984 wasn't like it was depicted in George Orwell's novel 1984. The year 2001 wasn't like it was depicted in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

A really crazy instance of inaccurate future fiction is the movie Strange Days from 1995, which is set in late 1999 at the turn of the millennium:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114558/

This movie actually predicted that within four years, we'd be able to scan people's thoughts, store them on discs, and then let other people experience those thoughts by reading those discs!  ;D (Although the plot line in the movie about a rap musician getting assassinated is a bit eerie, since within two years of the movie's release, both 2Pac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G. would get shot)

Written By: Tia on 01/29/09 at 12:56 pm

on a slightly related note, i just watched southland tales, which is a movie made in 2006 about a nuclear attack in texas in 2005.

i'm sitting in the living room last night thinking, 'um, question...'

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/01/09 at 12:07 am

Anyway I remembered thinking how "2009" sounded really futuristic, even if I knew it wasn't really that far off. Of course the depiction is really funny and exaggerated, they always overpredict the future. Now I really wanna see the movie, especially since we're actually there now!

Worth seeing.  (My favorite in the "movies try to do cyberpunk" genre was "Virtuosity", which was just about as cheesy.)

But for overpredicting the future, nothing beats the 1981 car chase flick The Last Chase.

Inspired by the oil shocks of the late-70s and the transformation of hippie culture into yuppie culture, they correctly called peak oil, the rise of the nanny state, and the movement to ban the car in favor of public transit. 

Our hero, Lee "Steve Austin" Majors, gets fed up with post-Peak-Oil-America's style of communal living, and uncrates his highly-illegal Porsche, and gets chased across America in a desperate run for the promised land... the recently-seceded territory of "Free California", where car culture still thrives :)

Got the cultural shifts awesomely correct, 30 years ahead of its time, while getting the geography just as spectacularly wrong.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/07/09 at 11:24 pm

Wow.... talk about missing the mark, big time!

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...