inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Yearbook analysis of big hair in the 90's: Big hair stopped in 1994.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/22/09 at 6:34 pm

Okay, I was looking through old yearbooks from the 1990's, out of curiosity, to see when big hair stop becoming popular.

But beware, a yearbook from 1991 has pictures from fall of 1990, a yearbook from 1992 had pictures from the fall of 1991, etc.

So a 1990 analysis would be my "analysis" for a 1991 yearbook!

And here's my analysis:

1990 "analysis": Still very 80's
1991- Same and very big.
1992- Still big, but hair getting smaller. About 65 to 70% of people had big hair.
1993- Huge change, about 15% of the people had big hair.
1994- Only about 4% had big hair. Big hair pretty much dead.
1995- .7% or less
1996- .00001% Lol.

The ones after 1994 are a joke  ;D, but I noticed there was a HUGE shift in hair in the years 1992 to 1993.
1992 there was still a good number of big haired people, but when you look at 1993, the style had changed dramatically by then.
But by 1994, big hair was seen outdated.

Subject: Re: My Yearbook analysis of big hair in the 90's: Big hair stopped in 1994.

Written By: 90steen on 02/22/09 at 6:46 pm

What exactly do you mean by big hair?

Because up until like 1997 or 1998 hair was sort of big, not as big as it was in the 80's. But looking through my old highschool yearbooks (1994 - 1998) there are ghirls with curly hair and it was a little on the big side.

But like I said, it didn't look like 80's hair. But comparing them to now, it's definitely a sense of big hair.

Subject: Re: My Yearbook analysis of big hair in the 90's: Big hair stopped in 1994.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/09 at 9:48 pm

Yeah I think hairstyles and fashions tend to lag longer than everything else, just because people get comfortable with what they like. This is one thing I didn't pay as much attention to at the time (I was such a dork I actually wore ripped jeans to school in 1995! ;D) but you're probably right.

When I see audience shots from tv footage in 1993 it still looks a bit 80s (I might even mistake it in certain cases), like girls with more curly, frizzy hair, but beyond that not so much. I've seen it a little bit in the mid 90s, but more mildly and not really screaming it.

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/23/09 at 9:54 pm

Yeah I think hairstyles and fashions tend to lag longer than everything else, just because people get comfortable with what they like. This is one thing I didn't pay as much attention to at the time (I was such a dork I actually wore ripped jeans to school in 1995! ;D) but you're probably right.

Yeah, I think you made a good observation. In '93 grunge had taken over where I grew up, but I was still wearing bright coloured clothes and bright pink lipstick....and I did NOT own a pair of Doc Martens (yeah, I was cool---not).  :-[

Written By: 90steen on 02/23/09 at 9:58 pm

'93 was the year grunge took over in my area too. I noticed everyone coming to school in flannel shirts.

My sister had some frizzy big hair in the 90's. Until she chopped it all off summer '97. Around the same time the 90's style of big hair look was just completely gone for good.

When I think of 90's hair I think of the elaborate bangs every girl had.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/09 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, I think you made a good observation. In '93 grunge had taken over where I grew up, but I was still wearing bright coloured clothes and bright pink lipstick....and I did NOT own a pair of Doc Martens (yeah, I was cool---not).  :-
'93 was the year grunge took over in my area too. I noticed everyone coming to school in flannel shirts.

My sister had some frizzy big hair in the 90's. Until she chopped it all off summer '97. Around the same time the 90's style of big hair look was just completely gone for good.

I agree. Yeah I remember alot really changing in 1993, I was mildly into Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers, but that's when it seemed to really explode. People kinda dressed "darker" too. What's interesting is the rappers and grunge crowd both liked flannel! I had a few shirts too, but I was never hardcore.

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/23/09 at 10:27 pm

I remember wearing those bangs in the early 90s (didn't really do me any wonders). I think they're called mall bangs.

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/25/09 at 4:00 am

Big Hair stopped around the mid-90s, but I also saw 1989-styled short hair like Rick Astley's in 1993 by some people.  Though metal heads and grunge-sters still had big hair, and then the hair style that was popular in 93-95 where it's split down the middle and sticks out(I don't know the name of it).  By '96, it was backwards ballcaps or highlights, ballcaps losing the hole in the back by 99.  It lasted into the early 00s as well and can be seen in the nu-metal crowd, but then bigger hair started making a comeback with the 80s-retro-crowd or the emo-crowd.

That's what I've noticed.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 7:49 am

Yeah, I think you made a good observation. In '93 grunge had taken over where I grew up, but I was still wearing bright coloured clothes and bright pink lipstick....and I did NOT own a pair of Doc Martens (yeah, I was cool---not).  :-[

Docs are awesome..I STILL wear them. ;)

Big hair was still kinda of a big thing when I graduated in 1995. I'm not talking about the freaking hair band hairdos...but moreso the longish/curly hair (on women)..think Julia Roberts, Taylor Dayne..the va va voom big hair.

I must still be stuck in the '90s to an extent..because I love big sexy hair. I can't get mine big enough, IMO. There's something about hair like that that has always been a thing for me. This does not mean that I want to look like Slash from Guns n Roses....no way. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/09 at 9:14 am

But the mullet never left!  ;D

Proof?

Try Chad Krouger from the band, Nickleback or Scott Stapp, from Creed!

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/25/09 at 10:09 am

But the mullet never left!   ;D

Proof?

Try Chad Krouger from the band, Nickleback or Scott Stapp, from Creed!

;D

You forgot Billy Ray Cyrus.

*runs for her life*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 12:25 pm

You forgot Billy Ray Cyrus.

*runs for her life*

ugh...he definitely should have won, "ugly hair of the year" award. :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/25/09 at 12:26 pm

ugh...he definitely should have won, "ugly hair of the year" award. :D

Which is why I ran like hell. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 12:28 pm

Which is why I ran like hell. :D

*runs along side of Kath* :D

Written By: scottyb on 02/25/09 at 5:08 pm

i though the big hair stopped around 1992 93 i remember woman cutting there hair shot kinda like a Cathy Dennis style i remember that being pretty popular in the early 90's also wavy hair and straighted hair

Written By: tv on 02/28/09 at 6:09 pm

When I see audience shots from tv footage in 1993 it still looks a bit 80s (I might even mistake it in certain cases), like girls with more curly, frizzy hair, but beyond that not so much. I've seen it a little bit in the mid 90s, but more mildly and not really screaming it.
Yeah I remember I was watching Montell Williams show like a year ago and he had a clip of his show back to 1993 and the audience(women) did look like their hairstyles were from the 80's altough a little tone down from the mid 80's big hair look.

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/28/09 at 7:43 pm

I used to have those big, teased-up bangs. I spent many mornings locked inside the bathroom with a curling iron and a big can of Aqua Net to achieve that look.  ;D

Written By: 90steen on 02/28/09 at 8:42 pm

I used to have those big, teased-up bangs. I spent many mornings locked inside the bathroom with a curling iron and a big can of Aqua Net to achieve that look.  ;D

Awww! That just brought back memories. I forgot all about aquanet!

That stuff had the best hold ever, but was horrible for your hair.

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/28/09 at 10:36 pm

Awww! That just brought back memories. I forgot all about aquanet!

That stuff had the best hold ever, but was horrible for your hair.

That's true; a lot of times Aqua Net left that white stuff in my hair; I had to shampoo it really, really, really good to get it out!  ;D

Written By: mm117 on 04/06/09 at 11:59 am

I remember wearing those bangs in the early 90s (didn't really do me any wonders). I think they're called mall bangs.

Mall bangs were the worst, everyone had them. You had to use rollers or a curling iron to make them puff out in that rounded way. Later on in the 90s flatirons started getting popular so everyone seemed to abandon the huge hair.

Check for new replies or respond here...