inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thoughts of the 90s, in 2009

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/25/09 at 4:37 am

So I was reading some comments on iTunes lately, and I was reading comments about some boy band, I forget which one, then I read a review from someone who was obviously n the 16-20 range or so, and they said something like "the 90s will go down as the decade of boy bands."  :o

Having been a pre-teen, teen, and young-adult throughout the 90s(my age usually shares the last digit of the year), I definitely feel differently about this.  I think of alternative and gangsta rap when I think of the 90s.  For the longest time, I never paired up the late 90s with the rest of the decade, but after mp3's, 9/11, krunk, emo, election controversies from either side or no side, global warming, equal marriage, 3D realistic video games, all that stuff, the late 90s seem to start fitting in more and more.
They seem to be 1997-2002, cuz I also hear about people mixing up a song from 2000 with the 90s.  I also saw DeGrassi NG on The N, and one of the characters said, "That's so 2001".  Gee, it's only the start of a brand new millennium...

Does anyone know what I mean?  Are the late 90s seeming more and more 90s-ish, have you always known them as the 90s, or are they still not very 90s at all?

PS: Anybody who says "It was the 90s because it happened between 1990-1999" will officially be deemed a nerd and should thus be wedgied or swirlied.

Subject: Re: Thoughts of the 90s, in 2009

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 7:06 am

So I was reading some comments on iTunes lately, and I was reading comments about some boy band, I forget which one, then I read a review from someone who was obviously n the 16-20 range or so, and they said something like "the 90s will go down as the decade of boy bands."  :o

Having been a pre-teen, teen, and young-adult throughout the 90s(my age usually shares the last digit of the year), I definitely feel differently about this.  I think of alternative and gangsta rap when I think of the 90s.  For the longest time, I never paired up the late 90s with the rest of the decade, but after mp3's, 9/11, krunk, emo, election controversies from either side or no side, global warming, equal marriage, 3D realistic video games, all that stuff, the late 90s seem to start fitting in more and more.
They seem to be 1997-2002, cuz I also hear about people mixing up a song from 2000 with the 90s.  I also saw DeGrassi NG on The N, and one of the characters said, "That's so 2001".  Gee, it's only the start of a brand new millennium...

Does anyone know what I mean?  Are the late 90s seeming more and more 90s-ish, have you always known them as the 90s, or are they still not very 90s at all?

PS: Anybody who says "It was the 90s because it happened between 1990-1999" will officially be deemed a nerd and should thus be wedgied or swirlied.

I was a teeneager and a young adult in the whole 90s so I think that 90s are 90s regarldless if it's '97, '98, or '99.  And the 90s are known for being very diverse when it comes to music.  It had dance, RnB, rap, techno, house and the whole 9.  90s RnB was better I tell you that compare to todays RnB.  I'm too old for today's music.  The early 2000s still had some 90s iflluence just like the early 90s had some 80s influence.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/25/09 at 11:40 am

It still has a way to go, but slowly but surely more people are beginning to like the '90s more considering how much more peaceful and prosperous that decade was compared to the 2000s, but I prefer to lump it in with the mid-late '80s just like the mid-late '50s were lumped in with the early-mid '60s back in the '70s and '80s. There are far fewer 90s websites/blogs compared to 80s, but this may change soon when the potential 2010s culture shift happens in a few years. However, the impact of the Internet has really altered how we perceive pop culture in a big way, so '90s nostalgia won't be your father's '60s/'70s nostalgia! Considering Playstation 3 is only two generations from the original Playstation, we still need more developments before the '90s (especially 1995+ with the Internet age) really look "old". Most oldies stations don't have ANY '90s music (many are JUST starting to add '80s music!) Still, it's definately a simpler time in this world. The class of 1999 will have 10 year-reunions this year, while next year, the class of 1990 will have their 20th! A board member like Marty McFly probably wouldn't be that thrilled, however if the '99 class reunion would feature original songs from that year, however. Nostalgia is changing: it's more for personal memories as opposed to mainstream trends.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 5:37 pm

It still has a way to go, but slowly but surely more people are beginning to like the '90s more considering how much more peaceful and prosperous that decade was compared to the 2000s, but I prefer to lump it in with the mid-late '80s just like the mid-late '50s were lumped in with the early-mid '60s back in the '70s and '80s. There are far fewer 90s websites/blogs compared to 80s, but this may change soon when the potential 2010s culture shift happens in a few years. However, the impact of the Internet has really altered how we perceive pop culture in a big way, so '90s nostalgia won't be your father's '60s/'70s nostalgia! Considering Playstation 3 is only two generations from the original Playstation, we still need more developments before the '90s (especially 1995+ with the Internet age) really look "old". Most oldies stations don't have ANY '90s music (many are JUST starting to add '80s music!) Still, it's definately a simpler time in this world. The class of 1999 will have 10 year-reunions this year, while next year, the class of 1990 will have their 20th! A board member like Marty McFly probably wouldn't be that thrilled, however if the '99 class reunion would feature original songs from that year, however. Nostalgia is changing: it's more for personal memories as opposed to mainstream trends.

I will have my 15th year reunion (class of 1995) in 2010, and speaking of the internet boom, I believe that it wasn't until I graduated in mid 1995 (June 20th) that the internet explode!.  Before, I didn't know nothing about the internet until I hit 22.  But you're right, in order for the mid 90s to be considered "old", you have to give it 10 more years.  The late 80s and early 90s (late '86-early '94) is considered old school now in my opinion.  I live in Philly, and where I'm at, they have an RnB station that plays nothing but late 80s and 90s RnB music, so it's getting there.  Trust me.  I don't think that nostalgia is changing because there were mainstream trends in the late 80s and 90s, especially within the black community.

Written By: 90steen on 02/25/09 at 8:55 pm

I think the mid-90's looks old.. but it's the late 90's that don't look old yet.

Looking at my brother's junior year yearbook, 1998 - 1999 it does not look ten years old.

But my junior year yearbook kind of does look old... and they're only 2 years apart!  :-\\

There was a big change from say 1996 - 1998.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 9:09 pm

I think the mid-90's looks old.. but it's the late 90's that don't look old yet.

Looking at my brother's junior year yearbook, 1998 - 1999 it does not look ten years old.

But my junior year yearbook kind of does look old... and they're only 2 years apart!  :-\\

There was a big change from say 1996 - 1998.

If the mid 90s look old, then the early 90s look ANCIENT!!!!! :o  I know because I was in high school in the early 90s, and I remember the bright colors, the rayon shirts, the polka dots (remember Kwame?), and them huge MC Hammer pants.  To these preteens, teenagers, and young adults, the early 90s look VERY VERY dated.  I change my mind, the mid-90s do look old because think about it, 94-96 is 13-15 years old.  I think that anything over 12 years old is old.

Written By: Samwise on 02/27/09 at 1:10 pm

I will always consider the 90's the decade of grunge. I was just a little bit too young to participate in the whole alternative rock movement. By the time I got to high school, music had shifted to teenybopper crap and nu-metal, and I really resented missing out on the "good" part of the decade.

I think the late 90's and early 00's go together much better than the early 90's and late 90's. I think it was the Internet, and the dot-com boom - there was just a huge shift in consciousness there, along with the huge shift in technology. The early 90's feel much longer ago than they actually were. For example: recently I watched an old Seinfeld rerun from 1993 or so. They were driving to Bubble Boy's house. George was the only one with directions, and Jerry and Elaine were following him. Unfortunately, he drove too fast and lost them. Jerry and Elaine were completely freaking out - "Oh my God, we don't know where George is! What do we do?!?!" I kept thinking, "Uh... just call him." And then I had to remind myself that none of them had cell phones. I even found myself wondering why they hadn't all printed out the same MapQuest directions, and had to remind myself that MapQuest didn't exist yet. I don't want to be "that guy," that young whippersnapper who thinks everything older than him is basically the Jurassic Period, but I found myself wondering how the hell people did anything before computers and cell phones and blogs. How did you learn things before Google and Wikipedia and free online newspaper articles?

Even with all that, though, I feel kind of nostalgic for the early 90's - or, more accurately, that idealized early 90's that I just missed out on. It seems like people cared about things then. Everyone talks about Generation X and how lazy and apathetic they were, but from my perspective, they saw exactly what was going on in the world and chose not to participate because it was all so blatantly stupid. When you listen to the songs of the era, especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit," you can really feel the anger at the way the world is. Gen X apathy was in response to simultaneous feelings of outrage and powerlessness. My generation seems to have no clue of the problems of the world, and no desire to learn, and so they just immerse themselves in an increasingly soulless and brain-dead pop culture universe. I think it's because the Internet gives us the illusion of power - we can create our own little worlds online, so we don't have to worry ourselves about the real world outside. The constant threats of terrorism and global warming and all those other horrors that feel more immediate and pressing now than in the 90's probably don't encourage us to pop our heads out the door, either. But I don't think that's the ultimate cause. I think that trend started in the late 90's. Looking back at that period, you can see how unbelievably frivolous it all was. I mean, the big political news story was the president getting a blowjob. Everything was a big joke. It kind of stayed that way until maybe the middle of the 00's, when people started to see how seriously Bush was screwing up and Katrina forced us to take global warming seriously.

I'm sorry, I've written a book here. I'll shut up now. :-X

Written By: maroth864 on 03/02/09 at 3:00 am

I'm 22 going on 23, but have a great memory and my GOD the 90s was a blast up until about 1997 or 1998.  Honestly it is my favorite decade for music along with the 60s.  To me, the 90s was full of great times and great music.  I loved the pop music in it (at least from about 1991 until 1996-1997).  Also, I think boy bands ruined the decade..because there still was great music in the late 90s, but TRL and boy bands took over and the others didn't get air play.

I could go on and on, but it's late.  The 90s was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than boy bands.  I feel sorry for people who think it was about boy bands and TRL.

Written By: joeman on 03/02/09 at 12:21 pm

I'm 22 going on 23, but have a great memory and my GOD the 90s was a blast up until about 1997 or 1998.  Honestly it is my favorite decade for music along with the 60s.  To me, the 90s was full of great times and great music.  I loved the pop music in it (at least from about 1991 until 1996-1997).  Also, I think boy bands ruined the decade..because there still was great music in the late 90s, but TRL and boy bands took over and the others didn't get air play.

I could go on and on, but it's late.  The 90s was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than boy bands.  I feel sorry for people who think it was about boy bands and TRL.

Funnny thing about TRL is when Carson Daly will go crazy with Nysc in one episode, then craps his pants the next day when Fred Durst gets on talking about how boy bands suck,  Thankfully TRL got canned though it stopped showing anything music related a long time ago.

Written By: scottyb on 03/02/09 at 3:34 pm

yea i remember watching TRL when i was like ten and almost evertime i saw it a boyband would always have the numberone spot and all of thoughs  annoying teen Girls would like scream OMG OMG OMG ugh i hated boy bands but i did like girl groups back then like TLC and The spice girls and so on but yea over all anything from 1998 to now doesn't seem to be so dated now but give it five more years and you will start to see a chance I'm still surprised how time flys by it seems like only yesterday it was 1999

Written By: maroth864 on 03/02/09 at 6:03 pm

Yeah, TRL was just horrible.  I remember going from listening to the likes of Bush, The Offspring, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, etc before going to school in 1996 on MTV to having well, NSYNC, 98 degrees, and BSB instead the next year or two and TRL on after school (as opposed to other good stuff).  I mean, don't get me wrong..I'm a singer and the guys in those boy bands were actually good singers.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you make good music..and I only heard what I considered a few good songs out of them.

What also bothers me is the music today still kind of continues to suck and any good bands don't get any radio play.  Prime example is Porcupine Tree, who is possible one of the best bands since the 80s (they formed in the late 80s or early 90s), but they get no radio play whatsoever.

Written By: maroth864 on 03/02/09 at 6:10 pm

I will always consider the 90's the decade of grunge. I was just a little bit too young to participate in the whole alternative rock movement. By the time I got to high school, music had shifted to teenybopper crap and nu-metal, and I really resented missing out on the "good" part of the decade.

I think the late 90's and early 00's go together much better than the early 90's and late 90's. I think it was the Internet, and the dot-com boom - there was just a huge shift in consciousness there, along with the huge shift in technology. The early 90's feel much longer ago than they actually were. For example: recently I watched an old Seinfeld rerun from 1993 or so. They were driving to Bubble Boy's house. George was the only one with directions, and Jerry and Elaine were following him. Unfortunately, he drove too fast and lost them. Jerry and Elaine were completely freaking out - "Oh my God, we don't know where George is! What do we do?!?!" I kept thinking, "Uh... just call him." And then I had to remind myself that none of them had cell phones. I even found myself wondering why they hadn't all printed out the same MapQuest directions, and had to remind myself that MapQuest didn't exist yet. I don't want to be "that guy," that young whippersnapper who thinks everything older than him is basically the Jurassic Period, but I found myself wondering how the hell people did anything before computers and cell phones and blogs. How did you learn things before Google and Wikipedia and free online newspaper articles?

Even with all that, though, I feel kind of nostalgic for the early 90's - or, more accurately, that idealized early 90's that I just missed out on. It seems like people cared about things then. Everyone talks about Generation X and how lazy and apathetic they were, but from my perspective, they saw exactly what was going on in the world and chose not to participate because it was all so blatantly stupid. When you listen to the songs of the era, especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit," you can really feel the anger at the way the world is. Gen X apathy was in response to simultaneous feelings of outrage and powerlessness. My generation seems to have no clue of the problems of the world, and no desire to learn, and so they just immerse themselves in an increasingly soulless and brain-dead pop culture universe. I think it's because the Internet gives us the illusion of power - we can create our own little worlds online, so we don't have to worry ourselves about the real world outside. The constant threats of terrorism and global warming and all those other horrors that feel more immediate and pressing now than in the 90's probably don't encourage us to pop our heads out the door, either. But I don't think that's the ultimate cause. I think that trend started in the late 90's. Looking back at that period, you can see how unbelievably frivolous it all was. I mean, the big political news story was the president getting a blowjob. Everything was a big joke. It kind of stayed that way until maybe the middle of the 00's, when people started to see how seriously Bush was screwing up and Katrina forced us to take global warming seriously.

I'm sorry, I've written a book here. I'll shut up now. :-X

LOL you have a point...I remember actually having to do things.  For example, if I wanted to research something for school..I'd have to either go to my school's Library or the public one, or a few years later we got Encarta and that was how things worked if you can't fnd it at the library.  Now, tons of people go to my university's library but the number of people studying on computers is amazing.  The only people I ever see with real books are grad students or professors.  Granted, searching for what you want is easier through digital means, but in my opinion the people who want to get rid of paper are absolutely insane.  To this day, I almost always never use a computer to take notes because doing it by hand makes it easier for the brain to understand/remember.

The generation now is MUCH lazier than in the 90s and I guarantee that.  Nowadays if something is wrong, chances are someone won't even speak up and their mind about it.  The other day there was something in the public that irked me, so I spoke up against it.  I asked my friend if he agreed, and he did, then he says "but I stay away from controversy and will not speak out."  To me that's not staying away from controversy, it's just being lazy to not try and change something you feel needs to be changed. 

I don't know, I'm ranting, but 90s kids were not as lazy looking back as we thought.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 03/05/09 at 1:41 pm

90s (and pretty much everything else) sucks now since Obama got elected.

Since it's such a big movement having an african american president, and albeit with one as stylish as him, nobody wants to be remember back and be nostalgic as nothing previously can compete with what we have now, i.e. racial equality etc.

I hate 00's children with a passion now (yes out of jealousy), they make our decade look rubbish now since we had nothing like him.

Meh they're better than us.

Written By: maroth864 on 03/05/09 at 1:55 pm

Since it's such a big movement having an african american president, and albeit with one as stylish as him, nobody wants to be remember back and be nostalgic as nothing previously can compete with what we have now, i.e. racial equality etc.

I hate 00's children with a passion now (yes out of jealousy), they make our decade look rubbish now since we had nothing like him.

I disagree.  As much as I liked Obama winning, there's more to a decade than who's the president.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/05/09 at 3:26 pm

I disagree.  As much as I liked Obama winning, there's more to a decade than who's the president.

I'm an African-American woman, and I'm glad to have an African-American man as a president.  Even though he's biracial, he's still black to me.  I love the mid to late 80s and 90s, and I don't care who's president or not.  The culture back then was the shot, and Bill Clinton was a good president.  He helped a lot of minorities in the 90s, so Clinton came close.

Written By: maroth864 on 03/05/09 at 7:33 pm

I'm an African-American woman, and I'm glad to have an African-American man as a president.  Even though he's biracial, he's still black to me.  I love the mid to late 80s and 90s, and I don't care who's president or not.  The culture back then was the shot, and Bill Clinton was a good president.  He helped a lot of minorities in the 90s, so Clinton came close.

Definitely agree with you here...I'm glad Obama is president as well..Clinton was great and I still think he did a little for the culture.  My hope was when Obama was victorious, the culture would come back up.  I hope it does

Written By: 90steen on 03/05/09 at 7:37 pm

Definitely agree with you here...I'm glad Obama is president as well..Clinton was great and I still think he did a little for the culture.  My hope was when Obama was victorious, the culture would come back up.  I hope it does

Am I crazy or is anyone else noticing a big change already? I think 2009 is opening for the '10s decade. The music that is playing on the radio is so much better than all the dumb music throughout 2008. And the new 2009 cars stand out to me a little bit. They modernized them.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/05/09 at 8:30 pm

Am I crazy or is anyone else noticing a big change already? I think 2009 is opening for the '10s decade. The music that is playing on the radio is so much better than all the dumb music throughout 2008. And the new 2009 cars stand out to me a little bit. They modernized them.

I'm telling you.  That means that the nostalgia of the 90s is here, especially the early 90s!!!!!!

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 03/05/09 at 10:46 pm

Nah some of it is still very much average to me.  I reckon it will get better though.

Is it just me or are kids (current 18 year olds) miles betting looking than any other generation before them, is that to do with Obama as well? :P

Written By: Samwise on 03/06/09 at 11:12 am

I strongly disagree. First of all, while electing a black president is a fantastic step forward, racial inequality is far from over. And even if Obama serves two full terms and accomplishes everything he wants, racism and inequality will most likely still be problems after he's gone (albeit probably smaller ones). And anyway, he's only been president for two months - he's hardly even done anything yet!

Second of all, there will always be something to feel nostalgic for. 90's nostalgia is slowly creeping into our culture, and it's not hard to see why. Aside from the fact that retro fads seem to work on a 20-year loop, just look at the economy right now. The 90's were a time of unparalleled economic growth - who's not going to feel nostalgic for that after a few minutes watching the evening news?

I think that, in this current decade, the 80's retro thing didn't really build very much on the 80's. It wasn't taking old things and making them new, it was just... taking old things. I'm hoping that this new decade will "remix" the 90's with more innovation and originality. I'm really looking forward to it because I love the 90's and I feel like I've been waiting a decade for my crappy generation to stand up and make some interesting art already!

Ooh, are you serious? Could you give some examples? I've been a bit out of the loop lately...

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 03/06/09 at 1:30 pm

I thought cycles went in 30 years, some parts of this decade felt like the 70s, mentally for me anyway, greebo longish hairstyles - indie/rock music at its peak etc.

I was hoping therefore that A PROPER stab at the 80s would enter next decade, because, well you can't call this decade like the 80s because it hasn't been anything like at all, certainly not music, its been all indie like I say (and hip hop).  Mainstream pop has absolutley sucked.

Written By: 90steen on 03/06/09 at 6:16 pm

I thought cycles went in 30 years, some parts of this decade felt like the 70s, mentally for me anyway, greebo longish hairstyles - indie/rock music at its peak etc.

I was hoping therefore that A PROPER stab at the 80s would enter next decade, because, well you can't call this decade like the 80s because it hasn't been anything like at all, certainly not music, its been all indie like I say (and hip hop).  Mainstream pop has absolutley sucked.

This is actually something that has crossed my mind before. I do agree with you that every 30 years, the decades have a little bit of similarities and nostalgia. Teen hair of the 00's looked a little bit of 70's to me. Teenage boys started growing out their hair, and some teen girls had the long, natural look to their hair... Only it wasn't as natural.. If that even made sense.

In the 90's, I think had a few resemblances of the 60's. The preppy girls I went to school with in the mid 90's would wear clothes that could have passed being worn in the 60's. Short mini skirts and sweaters or something.. And some of them even flipped their hair, which was a big 60's hairstyle. My aunt pointed out that the song "If I Had No Loot" by Tony Toni Tone sounded like one of the 60's songs a little bit to her. And I remember I had a thing for the 60's in the 90's. They were cool to me. The psychadelic era anyways. But I'm not saying th e90's and the 60's are exactly alike.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/06/09 at 8:00 pm

This is actually something that has crossed my mind before. I do agree with you that every 30 years, the decades have a little bit of similarities and nostalgia. Teen hair of the 00's looked a little bit of 70's to me. Teenage boys started growing out their hair, and some teen girls had the long, natural look to their hair... Only it wasn't as natural.. If that even made sense.

In the 90's, I think had a few resemblances of the 60's. The preppy girls I went to school with in the mid 90's would wear clothes that could have passed being worn in the 60's. Short mini skirts and sweaters or something.. And some of them even flipped their hair, which was a big 60's hairstyle. My aunt pointed out that the song "If I Had No Loot" by Tony Toni Tone sounded like one of the 60's songs a little bit to her. And I remember I had a thing for the 60's in the 90's. They were cool to me. The psychadelic era anyways. But I'm not saying th e90's and the 60's are exactly alike.

I kinda agree with Samwise on this.  He's telling te truth about the 20-year loop.  I know because I was there.  The 90s was the retro of the 70s.  I know because I remember wearing bell bottoms in mid to late 1993.  Nostalgia does work on a 20-year loop, CULTURE WISE.  Like in this decade, a lot of people went through nostalgia of the 80s from the music to the cartoons and toys.  This decade reminds me of the 80s because the working class was going through some stuff.  Even as a child in the 80s, I saw this.  The economy in the 80s wasn't good just like today.  I'm telling you, 2009 is starting to feel like the late 80s early 90s nostagia becausing I'm feeling it right about now.  The 90s nostagia is going to be strong as hell next year, you watch!

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 03/06/09 at 8:47 pm

It would be absolutley dreadful if 90s fashion cameback already.  It's too early.  Decades look and feel better when they've had more time out than just a 10 year break.

Well what we can say is that indie music is slowly to beginning to die, or at least it's merging into a form of electronic music, possible sign of an 80s direction.

Whether the next decade is the 80s or 90s, we should get some sort of a feminine movement anyway within popular culture, like the 80s.  The 90s was totally the opposite of that for me IMO(grunge etc), the 00s changed it a bit but still nowhere near mainly due to all the indie music and hip hop which dominated.  So possibly next decade music and fashion in particular will head into a more feminine direction IMO.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 03/06/09 at 8:56 pm

I would like to add though that nostalgia of decades does come around post 10 years(once we've finished another decade i.e. 00s), so 90s nostalgia will be popular all of sudden but that doesn't mean it will influence this next very decade.

80s nostalgia has been popular in this decade because it's been more than 10 years since we've had it, and wont stop getting nostalgic, because it was so good in the first place and now that it's so old it will continue(as it looks better like that lol), but having said that, it DIDN'T have much of an influence on music this decade still, mainly because most of it has been nothing like, similarly the hairstyles have NO resemblance at all the 80s?  Wheres all the 80s haircuts in the 00s?  Each to their own I guess but I haven't seen very many.

90s will get the recognition it finally deserves once we enter the 10s but I would be slightly suprised if we went as far back to it, via music haircuts, fashion etc.  That's just me but pfft I dunno.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/06/09 at 9:09 pm

I would like to add though that nostalgia of decades does come around post 10 years(once we've finished another decade i.e. 00s), so 90s nostalgia will be popular all of sudden but that doesn't mean it will influence this next very decade.

80s nostalgia has been popular in this decade because it's been more than 10 years since we've had it, and wont stop getting nostalgic, because it was so good in the first place and now that it's so old it will continue(as it looks better like that lol), but having said that, it DIDN'T have much of an influence on music this decade still, mainly because most of it has been nothing like, similarly the hairstyles have NO resemblance at all the 80s?  Wheres all the 80s haircuts in the 00s?  Each to their own I guess but I haven't seen very many.

90s will get the recognition it finally deserves once we enter the 10s but I would be slightly suprised if we went as far back to it, via music haircuts, fashion etc.  That's just me but pfft I dunno.

I was talking about as far as MUSIC and FASHION.  As far as 80s haircuts, I didn't see any of that, but I did hear the influence of 80s MUSIC in 00's music though.  When the 10s hit, trust me, it's going to be some strong 90s, early 90s nostalgia that it's not funny.  I just hope that they don't bring back those damn polka dots.  God I hated them back then when Kwame popularized it.  I love the early to mid 90s because I was a teenager then.

Written By: mm117 on 04/05/09 at 6:07 pm

LOL you have a point...I remember actually having to do things.  For example, if I wanted to research something for school..I'd have to either go to my school's Library or the public one, or a few years later we got Encarta and that was how things worked if you can't fnd it at the library.  Now, tons of people go to my university's library but the number of people studying on computers is amazing.  The only people I ever see with real books are grad students or professors.  Granted, searching for what you want is easier through digital means, but in my opinion the people who want to get rid of paper are absolutely insane.  To this day, I almost always never use a computer to take notes because doing it by hand makes it easier for the brain to understand/remember.

Ah, I remember when got Encarta! I thought it was the most amazing thing to be able to look things up on the computer. This was before we had the internet in schools, or at least during the age of impossibly slow dial-up. Whenever I'd go to the stacks at the library, it was almost completely abandoned. Everyone is going to grow up these days with some serious eye strain from constantly sitting at the computer.

Written By: 90steen on 04/05/09 at 7:53 pm

I was talking about as far as MUSIC and FASHION.  As far as 80s haircuts, I didn't see any of that, but I did hear the influence of 80s MUSIC in 00's music though.  When the 10s hit, trust me, it's going to be some strong 90s, early 90s nostalgia that it's not funny.  I just hope that they don't bring back those damn polka dots.  God I hated them back then when Kwame popularized it.  I love the early to mid 90s because I was a teenager then.

There already is some 90's nostalgia from songs that came out this year.

Sugar - Flo Rida  the chorus has the same melody as the chorus from I'm Blue - Eiffel 65 (Which I believe was released in 1999?)

And You Can Get It All - Bow Wow has the same beat and rhythm as Baby-Baby-Baby - TLC and they even sing one of the verses.

Written By: tv on 04/08/09 at 12:52 pm

Some of the glam rap of the mid 00's had an 80's production type of style to it. Some of the bands in the 00's did 80's type of music in the 00's(The Killers, The Postal Service, and Franz Ferdinand.) "Shake It" by Metro Station is heavily infuenced by 80's New Wave.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 6:18 pm

I definitely agree about early '90s nostalgia taking off now, although not in full force it's definitely starting. I was at Target the other day, and saw some of those faded flannel/plaid-type shirts for sale...definitely has a '91-94 grunge style to them, even though the patterns are a little smaller than the original ones.

I think when you can see it in clothing styles you know it's coming back.

Written By: joeman on 04/08/09 at 7:00 pm

I definitely agree about early '90s nostalgia taking off now, although not in full force it's definitely starting. I was at Target the other day, and saw some of those faded flannel/plaid-type shirts for sale...definitely has a '91-94 grunge style to them, even though the patterns are a little smaller than the original ones.

I think when you can see it in clothing styles you know it's coming back.

I agree that the 90's are coming back.  When I working at Publix Supermarkets the other day for Inventory, they were playing various 90's music from Gin Blossoms, MatchBox 20, Ace of Base, etc...  almost moreso than the 80's music they were showcasing. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 7:12 pm

I agree that the 90's are coming back.  When I working at Publix Supermarkets the other day for Inventory, they were playing various 90's music from Gin Blossoms, MatchBox 20, Ace of Base, etc...  almost moreso than the 80's music they were showcasing. 

Oh, nice. :) Yeah I love alot of the music they play in supermarkets and stores. It's really just like a hit radio station (mostly '80s and 90s with some classics and some newer ones too). I'd love having that on at work!

What's funny is, I remember as a kid they played classical music in stores or stuff like Kenny G. This was back in the actual 80s...I wonder if that stuff is too soft now even for those places.

Written By: 90steen on 04/08/09 at 8:46 pm

At Taco Bell I heard.

I Know - Dionne Farris (1995)

It was weird because I never heard that song anywhere during the 2000's.

Written By: tv on 04/09/09 at 9:16 am

At Taco Bell I heard.

I Know - Dionne Farris (1995)

It was weird because I never heard that song anywhere during the 2000's.
I heard "I Know' by Dionne Farris at "Shoprite" the other day. Its weird to hear that song at Shoprite because I remember listening to that song on Top 40 radio in 1995 when "I Know" was new.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/18/09 at 2:41 am

I can't say 80s retro wasn't around, cuz I've seen videos and heard songs that sounded very 80s.

I'd like to suggest:

The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
Fefe Dobson - Don't Go (Girls and Boys)
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love
Snoop Dogg - Sensible Seduction (though it still looked very 70s, but 1980 was still really 70s also)

And 8bit gaming from 88-92 came back a little with Mega Man 9, for download.  Grad Theft Auto: Vice City was set in the 80s.

Also, I think the emo thing seems 80s oriented.  The slicked down hair, or to the side.  Tight clothes, big silver beaded belts... Looks about as materialistic as the 80s were.
The 70s hairstyle others had could've also been seen in 1982, I think.  I've also seen hairstyles on dudes that looked kind of like late 80s mid-long hair.. since I was 9 when the decade ended, the only 80s hair I could remember was the kind that various NKotB and Rick Astley had.. the flat topped hair, so it didn't seem that nostalgic to me.  Actually, I think there was too much 70s/80s influence in this decade and not enough that can really be called 00s... I dunno.

What I think is maybe each decade's retro revival trends were more like =late "3 decades" - early "2 decades"=, like the 80s had some late 50s/early 60s feel(Rick Astley looks a little bit like 1962 in Together Forever), the 90s had a hippie revival, and this decade had a late 70s/early 80s revival.  Maybe the 2010s will see a 1988-1992 revival.  So the 80s revival thing could still be in effect by then?  That's just what I think.

Anyway, there's more 80s influence out there than you might think.

Written By: joeman on 04/22/09 at 7:00 pm

Has anyone seen the recent Spong-Bob commerical with the remix track of Sir Mix A lot?  I think the nostalgia is creeping up sooner than I hope.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/25/09 at 1:12 pm

I agree with ChrisJ, those songs are very '80s influenced. In fact I see it even more now than I did around when it first started coming around. I actually think Gwen Stefani's solo songs from 2004 like "Cool" would actually be even more popular if they camne out now!

Back to the '90s though - I just thought to myself that people might have a hard time telling whether it's a revival or a continuation! ;) Some stuff never totally went away, like plaid shirts, skateboarding and alternative rock (even if that largely sucks now with no originality like it had then). I think what'll happen is alot of that stuff might just become eternally cool, while the 90s things that faded might come back in the next few years.

Written By: 90steen on 04/25/09 at 2:45 pm

Back to the '90s though - I just thought to myself that people might have a hard time telling whether it's a revival or a continuation! ;) Some stuff never totally went away, like plaid shirts, skateboarding and alternative rock (even if that largely sucks now with no originality like it had then). I think what'll happen is alot of that stuff might just become eternally cool, while the 90s things that faded might come back in the next few years.

How about bringing back Eurodance and the fluffy bangs?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/28/09 at 5:32 pm

I am 23 and I have been feeling a LOT of 90's nostalgia lately.  I'll be listening to the radio and here a song like Monica "Angel of Mine" come on and I'm just like.....wow, I can't believe it's already been 10 YEARS since this came out.  I definitely would group the late 90's with the early 2000's but it is still soooo different from today's music.   Actually I remember at one point in the late 90's thinking to myself how could music possibly get any more "sinful?" Not that I didn't like the music, but at the time I listened all the rap/hip-hop and all the pop/rock songs openly talking about sex, drugs, and what not and just thought music can't get any "worse" than this..."worse" as in that "evil" music your parents don't want you listening to you (at least my parents anyway  :P    If only we had known the "krunk" movement was coming LOL

Actually in the early 90's I wasn't allowed to listened to popular music (and wasn't old enough to fully appreciate it anyway) so I kind of had to "rediscover" it as I got into my teen years.  But back then you'd get made fun of for listening to something that was more than 3 years old (or ok at least I would in my small-town school) but now there's so much nostalgia attached with music of the 90's.   Especially songs with this certain beat....I don't know what you would call this kind of beat but I hear it and it just makes me wish I was back in the 90s (only as an adult LOL)  But it's the same beat in songs like Backstreet Boys (yes I'll admit, I slightly fell for the boy-band craze for a while) "Quit Playing Games with My Heart"; White Town "Your Woman"; Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth..."   It's that "boom-boom-CLAP-uh-boom-boom-CLAP-uh" beat that just SCREAMS 90's.....that's the best way I can describe it

Written By: 90steen on 04/29/09 at 12:01 pm

I am 23 and I have been feeling a LOT of 90's nostalgia lately.  I'll be listening to the radio and here a song like Monica "Angel of Mine" come on and I'm just like.....wow, I can't believe it's already been 10 YEARS since this came out.  I definitely would group the late 90's with the early 2000's but it is still soooo different from today's music.   Actually I remember at one point in the late 90's thinking to myself how could music possibly get any more "sinful?" Not that I didn't like the music, but at the time I listened all the rap/hip-hop and all the pop/rock songs openly talking about sex, drugs, and what not and just thought music can't get any "worse" than this..."worse" as in that "evil" music your parents don't want you listening to you (at least my parents anyway  :P    If only we had known the "krunk" movement was coming LOL

Actually in the early 90's I wasn't allowed to listened to popular music (and wasn't old enough to fully appreciate it anyway) so I kind of had to "rediscover" it as I got into my teen years.  But back then you'd get made fun of for listening to something that was more than 3 years old (or ok at least I would in my small-town school) but now there's so much nostalgia attached with music of the 90's.   Especially songs with this certain beat....I don't know what you would call this kind of beat but I hear it and it just makes me wish I was back in the 90s (only as an adult LOL)  But it's the same beat in songs like Backstreet Boys (yes I'll admit, I slightly fell for the boy-band craze for a while) "Quit Playing Games with My Heart"; White Town "Your Woman"; Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth..."   It's that "boom-boom-CLAP-uh-boom-boom-CLAP-uh" beat that just SCREAMS 90's.....that's the best way I can describe it

I wondered that too ten years ago. My little sister was 15 at the time, and I was 19, I even told her when I was her age 4 years ago music was a little bit better.

Speaking of Your Woman - White Town... I never could figure that song out because it was a guy singing it? Or at least it sounded like one?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/30/09 at 4:03 pm

I wondered that too ten years ago. My little sister was 15 at the time, and I was 19, I even told her when I was her age 4 years ago music was a little bit better.

Speaking of Your Woman - White Town... I never could figure that song out because it was a guy singing it? Or at least it sounded like one?

Yeah it was a guy, but I think he is quoting what the woman says to him "I could never be your woman"  Back before you could just hop on the internet and google search lyrics I always used to think he was saying "I could never be A woman"  ;D

Written By: 90steen on 04/30/09 at 8:03 pm

Yeah it was a guy, but I think he is quoting what the woman says to him "I could never be your woman"   Back before you could just hop on the internet and google search lyrics I always used to think he was saying "I could never be A woman"  ;D

There was a time I thought it was a girl and they just lowered the pitch to make the song funny. I had that theory for awhile and then thought it was silly.  :-X

Written By: Starde on 05/31/09 at 4:10 pm

I definitely feeling some 90s nostalgia kickin' in. Like 90sTeen mentioned previously, songs like "Sugar" by Flo Rida are sampling songs that were popular in the 90s. Hell, about 2 weeks ago, I was at Staples when I heard "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys playing on the radio. I had to stop what I was doing just to make sure I was hearing what I was actually hearing because I haven't heard that song on the radio in about 10 years. I ended up randomly singing the lyrics to the song (yeah, I was into the boyband craze back then...). 90's nostalgia will take its full effect in the 2010s for sure.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/01/09 at 6:49 am

'80s nostalgia has been much more personalized than the nostalgia of previous decades; and I feel '90s nostalgia will be even more individualistic; of course some people will dig the rap/hip-hop of the period because they missed it, but others still will dread it compared to the non-gangsta atmosphere of the '80s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/09 at 9:28 pm

Lately for about the last year or so, I've become more nostalgic about the 90's (particularly the early 90's) than about the 80's. I do notice the styles coming back in music like with the new jack swing style and alternative rock. I think a neo-grunge movement will takeoff soon. I noticed flannel shirts are coming back in style, and I have a few myself.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 06/05/09 at 9:21 am

This decade's felt like the 70s more to me personally.  Just pure sh*te. (haha).

I felt the 90s were like a grunge version of the 60's.  People will ask me how I can draw to those conclusions but I'm not sure why it's just a "feeling" I guess.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/09 at 1:52 pm

Hey...I'm making a small re-appearance...

I definitely think '90s nostalgia is in its early stages. I think it can be attributed to a number of things:
1. Pure distance. The '90s is a decade old. My friends and I were listening to Sugar Ray's "Every Morning"...and realized that it's been a decade since that song came out. One thing to remember is that the late '90s never really died, in terms of musical affection, among people born in the mid-late '80s and early '90s, even though people very much so repudiated a '90s attitude in terms of fashion and life-outlook.
2. The difficulty of the economy and politics right now makes the '90s feel like a simpler time to people in their late teens and twenties. The mid-late '90s, when everything seemed sunny and prosperous, generally optimistic, and when the biggest problem was the president getting a blow-job, as another poster said, has a huge appeal. Worrying, for example, about Y2K or the influence of Insane Clown Posse as opposed to losing your house or not being able to pay for college. Part of this is that, for Generation Y, we didn't have to actually manage our lives in the '90s. We were kids, so '90s nostalgia gets grafted onto nostalgia for childhood.
3. The general "relaxed-ness" and cool attitude of '90s pop culture. After 2006, the market became saturated with iPhones, iPods, expensive-looking hipster ways of dressing (V-neck shirts on men and leggings on women, pajama print hoodies and peacoats), and had previously been saturated with these incredibly ornate glam rap styles. Just look at Lil' Wayne or Santigold to see what I mean. There's definitely some appeal for the laid-back, comparatively corny '90s styles in comparison: skaters and goths, big flannel shirts, t-shirts, scrunchies, tank-tops, sports jerseys.

In terms of style and music, we are definitely going through 1988-1992 nostalgia. People are wearing neon jeans, the flat-top is going through a revival, flannel shirts and facial hair have returned, and styles are generally approximating the neon-heavy, futuristic looks of 1990. You could argue that music like Lady Gaga or the Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow" also references this. I can definitely see the influence of the very early '90s right now, being on an urban college campus. Also, '90s themes are becoming a lot more popular with people born in the late '80s, I think, as we near closer to the workforce. The movie theater at my University showed Independence Day last night. To me, this approximates corny mid-'90s culture, Will Smith and all. And, before, there was a neon laser light show with late '90s techno music. I can't imagine that happening in 2006 or 2007. And, on Saturday, I saw Notorious, about the Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, Faith Evans, Lil' Kim, Puff Daddy, et. al. - another example of the growing popularity of the '90s with the college crowd. My prediction is that the mid-late '90s will come back full scale around 2015 or 2016. Usually, in the last half of a decade, the peak of a decade returns, though it's adopted by subcultures beforehand. The late '70s-mid '80s became very hip around 2000 or 2001, but didn't hit in terms of style until 2006, with the growing popularity of a hipster-style culture.

Written By: erochelle on 06/05/09 at 11:01 pm

I have been loving the 90s songs all along especially when I'm into the mood of just winding up at home and doing my stuff. I would love to share my interest to lighthouse family, INOJ, and savage garden.

www.duoblogger.com

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/09 at 11:17 pm

Am I the only one that felt a cultural shift in 1999?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 06/06/09 at 12:05 am

I miss Bill Clinton.

Written By: joeman on 06/06/09 at 7:07 am

Hey...I'm making a small re-appearance...

I definitely think '90s nostalgia is in its early stages. I think it can be attributed to a number of things:
1. Pure distance. The '90s is a decade old. My friends and I were listening to Sugar Ray's "Every Morning"...and realized that it's been a decade since that song came out. One thing to remember is that the late '90s never really died, in terms of musical affection, among people born in the mid-late '80s and early '90s, even though people very much so repudiated a '90s attitude in terms of fashion and life-outlook.
2. The difficulty of the economy and politics right now makes the '90s feel like a simpler time to people in their late teens and twenties. The mid-late '90s, when everything seemed sunny and prosperous, generally optimistic, and when the biggest problem was the president getting a blow-job, as another poster said, has a huge appeal. Worrying, for example, about Y2K or the influence of Insane Clown Posse as opposed to losing your house or not being able to pay for college. Part of this is that, for Generation Y, we didn't have to actually manage our lives in the '90s. We were kids, so '90s nostalgia gets grafted onto nostalgia for childhood.
3. The general "relaxed-ness" and cool attitude of '90s pop culture. After 2006, the market became saturated with iPhones, iPods, expensive-looking hipster ways of dressing (V-neck shirts on men and leggings on women, pajama print hoodies and peacoats), and had previously been saturated with these incredibly ornate glam rap styles. Just look at Lil' Wayne or Santigold to see what I mean. There's definitely some appeal for the laid-back, comparatively corny '90s styles in comparison: skaters and goths, big flannel shirts, t-shirts, scrunchies, tank-tops, sports jerseys.

In terms of style and music, we are definitely going through 1988-1992 nostalgia. People are wearing neon jeans, the flat-top is going through a revival, flannel shirts and facial hair have returned, and styles are generally approximating the neon-heavy, futuristic looks of 1990. You could argue that music like Lady Gaga or the Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow" also references this. I can definitely see the influence of the very early '90s right now, being on an urban college campus. Also, '90s themes are becoming a lot more popular with people born in the late '80s, I think, as we near closer to the workforce. The movie theater at my University showed Independence Day last night. To me, this approximates corny mid-'90s culture, Will Smith and all. And, before, there was a neon laser light show with late '90s techno music. I can't imagine that happening in 2006 or 2007. And, on Saturday, I saw Notorious, about the Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, Faith Evans, Lil' Kim, Puff Daddy, et. al. - another example of the growing popularity of the '90s with the college crowd. My prediction is that the mid-late '90s will come back full scale around 2015 or 2016. Usually, in the last half of a decade, the peak of a decade returns, though it's adopted by subcultures beforehand. The late '70s-mid '80s became very hip around 2000 or 2001, but didn't hit in terms of style until 2006, with the growing popularity of a hipster-style culture.

I say we know when the 90's nostalgia hit when we see the new Nirvana movie.  I say the Door's movie in 1991 kind of set the stage for a new era in the 90's like the Nirvana movie would be.

I am glad that rap, or at least today's rap is going away.  I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can relate to lyrics involving money when people like me are working day and night just to have a roof on my head  :o. 

Written By: joeman on 06/06/09 at 7:16 am

I say we know when the 90's nostalgia hit when we see the new Nirvana movie.  I say the Door's movie in 1991 kind of set the stage for a new era in the 90's like the Nirvana movie would be.

I am glad that rap, or at least today's rap is going away.  I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can relate to lyrics involving money when people like me are working day and night just to have a roof on my head  :o. 

Here is the thing about the late 90's though, some music is still kept due to Clear Channel communication but most of the music that came out from that era is long forgotton.  For example, rap in that era is done,  Master P isn't around anymore and DMX is in trouble I think.  I know Eminem made a comeback but I am not sure he is making the same impact as he once was.

Most Nu-Metal(I hate that term due the fact that most bands don't sound anything like Limp Bizkit) are either gone or evolve in traditional heavy metal.  I think I heard Korn and Limp Bizkit reuniting, so we might have a "second wave" of that sound and adults around 23-31 years or so that grew up with that music will make bands with that sound in the next decade I think.

Written By: Samwise on 06/06/09 at 7:55 am

I miss Bill Clinton.

Why would you want Bill Clinton when we have Barack Obama? Obama's just like Clinton, but smarter, more eloquent, doesn't sleep around, actually loves his wife, all-around a better person... I mean, sure, Clinton was entertaining, but that's what Joe Biden and Rahm Emanuel are for. ;D

Am I the only one that felt a cultural shift in 1999?

Nope. I felt it too. 1999 didn't feel anything like the rest of the 90's to me.

Incidentally, a little while ago I was in a Staples and they were playing "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. It's amazing - I haven't heard that song in, like, ten years, and somehow I'm still sick of it. :P

Written By: J P on 09/18/09 at 10:18 am

I think that the cultures evolve from half way through one decade to half way through another. That is why the early 90s seems so different from the late 90s. I was shocked when I saw a picture of the popular group Girl's Aloud back in 2002, I thought their clothes just looked so 90s and dare I say it a bit sl*tty compared with how they dress now! What with their belly tops and hipsters. IMO the fashions in the late 90s/early 00s were dire! If you think about it people still wore high waisted tapered jeans until about 1996 when bootcut jeans came in and remained fashionable until about 2005 when skinny jeans became the must have. There were nods to the 80s at the start of the decade with Avril Lavine punk style coming in which also complemented the late 90s obsession with combat trousers! And I remember wearing pointy toed stilleto boots with my bootcut jeans in 2003 before skinny jeans with ballet pumps or tucked into long boots came into fashion.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/09 at 1:52 pm

I wonder what are the people of 2010's are gonna think of 2000's?

???

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/20/09 at 6:46 pm

The early 90's are pretty much a different planet. The mid 90's are dated, but not laughabley so. The late 90's are slightly dated on the surface, but if you look hard, a lot has changed.

I personally think it's too early to be bringing stuff back from the mid and late 90's. Especially the late 90's. 1999 feels more like 5 years ago than 10. But at the same time, if you look hard, a lot has changed in 10 years. I still think it's too early to bring anything post early 90's back.

Written By: DoubleUTeeEff on 09/22/09 at 2:52 pm

This is the most embarrassingly awful post i've ever seen on a message board.

Your "praise" for Obama is so much that you claim that no one can ever be nostalgic for a time before 2009 simply because we didn't have a "Black" President until now.  First off, he's done absolutely nothing for "racial equality", infact, he's helping set the country back a full 50 years with his constant Race Baiting, especially from his supporters (zombies)

Your entire post is dripping with obviousness at an attempt to anger conservatives. Your basically sitting here saying that your jealous of children today because they get to live their childhood under the first few years of Obama's Presidency.  How do you not cringe with embarrassment from your obvious drone-like zombie worship for Obama?

The idiocy of today's generation of Young Americans is so sad. They buy everything they hear, especially anything that's considered hip and trendy. I bet al of you probably watch lame shows like Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and David Letterman? No wonder you all are brainwashed, liberal communist drones.  I'd be willing to bet my life that none of you know anything about politics. You all have absolutely no idea that Obama so far has been a dreadful President, and no, it's not because he's Black (Save the Race Card for someone else, I won't tolerate it), it's because he's Weak and Socialist. 

So far he's pandered to our enemies and turned his back on our allies. He goes over to other countries to tell them how arrogant and evil America is and basically gives them free reign to go ahead and attack us again.  His entire administration is littered with corruption (Van Jones, ACORN and the SEIU mainly), he has an administration full of Race-Baiters who label anyone a racist who dare disagree with Obama or his policies (Yet it was perfectly OK to disagree with and belittle George Bush, nice double-standard)

I might as well just go ahead and kill myself, what's the point of continuing to even live when America is full of people like you? You liberal drones who love to act all "rebellious" and arrogant, it drives me insane that you people exist. You all hate America and the Freedom it has given you, you all support Obama, which means you all would prefer living in a less free country where everything is regulated by the Government so that they can tell you how much water and energy you can use on a daily basis (Boy, doesn't that sound like a step in the right direction!?..../sarcasm).

What you kids don't seem to realize is that Democrats want full power over everyone's lives. They essentially want to be Dictators, which is what you have in Communist countries, such as Cuba and China.  They want to make sure that there is no such thing anymore as "Free Speech". They want the entire country to use "Political Correctness" and they want white people to practically be put in shackles (If they could do it, they would, but they realize that would be political suicide). However we're slowly inching closer to where the American people actually WANT this, because you're all being Brainwashed and Indoctrinated at an early age, and you don't even realize it.

Just because Obama's "cool" and "hip", doesn't make him a good politician. It just makes him a typical Democrat (All style, no substance).  That's how Democrats win elections, they constantly throw out the "cool" guy with no experience and expect braindead frat boys like you all to vote for him because you all see Politics the same way you see "American Idol".  To you all, it's all about voting for someone who is "cool" and who will be a big "celebrity".  You all have no care what-so-ever about this country and the way it is run. It's pathetic, and now we have all of you to thank for today's pitiful generation.

Written By: 90steen on 09/22/09 at 9:46 pm

I think that all of the 90's, 1990 - 1999 are dated. Seriously... songs from 1999 like "Summer Girls" and "Steal My Sunshine" wouldn't survive today's world. Although I agree that the first half of the decade 1990 - 1994 is a little more noticeably dated than 1995 - 1999.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/23/09 at 10:26 pm

Your "praise" for Obama is so much that you claim that no one can ever be nostalgic for a time before 2009 simply because we didn't have a "Black" President until now.  First off, he's done absolutely nothing for "racial equality", infact, he's helping set the country back a full 50 years with his constant Race Baiting, especially from his supporters (zombies)

Your entire post is dripping with obviousness at an attempt to anger conservatives. Your basically sitting here saying that your jealous of children today because they get to live their childhood under the first few years of Obama's Presidency.  How do you not cringe with embarrassment from your obvious drone-like zombie worship for Obama?

The idiocy of today's generation of Young Americans is so sad. They buy everything they hear, especially anything that's considered hip and trendy. I bet al of you probably watch lame shows like Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and David Letterman? No wonder you all are brainwashed, liberal communist drones.  I'd be willing to bet my life that none of you know anything about politics. You all have absolutely no idea that Obama so far has been a dreadful President, and no, it's not because he's Black (Save the Race Card for someone else, I won't tolerate it), it's because he's Weak and Socialist. 

So far he's pandered to our enemies and turned his back on our allies. He goes over to other countries to tell them how arrogant and evil America is and basically gives them free reign to go ahead and attack us again.  His entire administration is littered with corruption (Van Jones, ACORN and the SEIU mainly), he has an administration full of Race-Baiters who label anyone a racist who dare disagree with Obama or his policies (Yet it was perfectly OK to disagree with and belittle George Bush, nice double-standard)

I might as well just go ahead and kill myself, what's the point of continuing to even live when America is full of people like you? You liberal drones who love to act all "rebellious" and arrogant, it drives me insane that you people exist. You all hate America and the Freedom it has given you, you all support Obama, which means you all would prefer living in a less free country where everything is regulated by the Government so that they can tell you how much water and energy you can use on a daily basis (Boy, doesn't that sound like a step in the right direction!?..../sarcasm).

What you kids don't seem to realize is that Democrats want full power over everyone's lives. They essentially want to be Dictators, which is what you have in Communist countries, such as Cuba and China.  They want to make sure that there is no such thing anymore as "Free Speech". They want the entire country to use "Political Correctness" and they want white people to practically be put in shackles (If they could do it, they would, but they realize that would be political suicide). However we're slowly inching closer to where the American people actually WANT this, because you're all being Brainwashed and Indoctrinated at an early age, and you don't even realize it.

Just because Obama's "cool" and "hip", doesn't make him a good politician. It just makes him a typical Democrat (All style, no substance).  That's how Democrats win elections, they constantly throw out the "cool" guy with no experience and expect braindead frat boys like you all to vote for him because you all see Politics the same way you see "American Idol".  To you all, it's all about voting for someone who is "cool" and who will be a big "celebrity".  You all have no care what-so-ever about this country and the way it is run. It's pathetic, and now we have all of you to thank for today's pitiful generation.

Sounds like you need to turn off Fox News for a change. I thought that America was going to be a better place with Obama as president, but now I realize that it sucks either way. That is why I'm so glad I'm living in Japan now, which has just as much freedom as the U.S. if not more, and a way better quality of life. As long as there are ignorant conservatives in the U.S., I would refuse to move back there. How they could elect Bush twice and still vote the same way for McPalin is beyond me. There are some many countries out there, including Japan, that have a much better quality of life than the U.S. and all Obama wants to do is to make the U.S. more like those countries, not communist countries like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh would want you to believe (and you call liberals brainwashed drones).

Written By: tv on 09/24/09 at 12:17 pm

Sounds like you need to turn off Fox News for a change. I thought that America was going to be a better place with Obama as president, but now I realize that it sucks either way. That is why I'm so glad I'm living in Japan now, which has just as much freedom as the U.S. if not more, and a way better quality of life. As long as there are ignorant conservatives in the U.S., I would refuse to move back there. How they could elect Bush twice and still vote the same way for McPalin is beyond me. There are some many countries out there, including Japan, that have a much better quality of life than the U.S. and all Obama wants to do is to make the U.S. more like those countries, not communist countries like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh would want you to believe (and you call liberals brainwashed drones).
Yeah but you can;t deny Obama does get the benefit of the doubt from media because he's a democrat. If George W. Bush was attached to ACORN and Van Jones stuff going on he would get slammed by the media.

Would do you mean vote for MCPalin? I mean Obama is the president and not John McCain.

I don;t think Obama wants to make the US communist but he wants us to be something like Europe which I don;t like.

Written By: tv on 09/24/09 at 12:23 pm

Well Bill Clinton and JFK were good presidents who were democrats so not all democratic presidents are bad. There were some bad democratic presidents like Jimmy Carter. I don;t think Obama will be known as a great president I think he'll be known as average or a below average like George W. Bush is.

Written By: tv on 09/24/09 at 12:27 pm

Why would you want Bill Clinton when we have Barack Obama? Obama's just like Clinton, but smarter, more eloquent, doesn't sleep around, actually loves his wife, all-around a better person... I mean, sure, Clinton was entertaining, but that's what Joe Biden and Rahm Emanuel are for. ;D
Nope. I felt it too. 1999 didn't feel anything like the rest of the 90's to me.

Incidentally, a little while ago I was in a Staples and they were playing "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. It's amazing - I haven't heard that song in, like, ten years, and somehow I'm still sick of it. :P
I like Bill Clinton better than Obama because Clinton could actually balance a budget which Obama is incapable of it just like the president who proceeded him(George W. Bush.)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/26/09 at 7:48 am

I like Bill Clinton better than Obama because Clinton could actually balance a budget which Obama is incapable of it just like the president who proceeded him(George W. Bush.)

I think Obama will be similar to Bill Clinton. During Clinton's first 2 years, people were disappointed in him not doing much, just like they are with Obama now. Also in 1994 Newt Gingrich and the Republicans took over congress, which is what I think will happen next year, not that I'd mind to see Nancy Pelosi go.

Written By: tv on 09/26/09 at 4:28 pm

I think Obama will be similar to Bill Clinton. During Clinton's first 2 years, people were disappointed in him not doing much, just like they are with Obama now. Also in 1994 Newt Gingrich and the Republicans took over congress, which is what I think will happen next year, not that I'd mind to see Nancy Pelosi go.
I hope your right. :)

I don;t think the Republicans will take over Congress next year but I think they will gain some seats though!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/26/09 at 4:54 pm

My thoughts...

TV-The Group of Friends TV Shows. We had Seinfeld who had a group of people in their 40's and Friends who were a group of Friends in their 20's.

Music-We had The Boy/Girl Bands, Alternative, and Hip-Hop.

Games-The Bit Wars were at their highest!

Other-Birth of the internet, beginnings of the DVD, I wish I could just go back to the 90's where things seemed more innocent. :\'(

Written By: Tyler on 10/04/09 at 11:59 pm

Hi, I'm only 16 so I was only around in 2 decades.  I don't think that there was much difference between now and the part of the 90's that I remember.   My car is from the 90's.  I have a 1998 Camaro, which is sooooo cool, so the 90s are really part of the current times for me.  The overall image of the 90's seem to be very similar to now.  I don't think the way I dress was that different from how my older brother dressed in the 90s, maybe small differences, they wore their hats backwards then and I wear mine backwards/to the side now, and other small stupid differences, but the overall activities that were popular then are popular now.  The only thing that I can think of about the 90's is the lack of cell phones, text messaging, etc.  I use that stuff all the time, I can't imagime times without those, I text my girlfriend like every 5 minutes sometimes.  So for technology the 90's seems like old times.
-----Tyler

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/05/09 at 7:45 am

Hi, I'm only 16 so I was only around in 2 decades.  I don't think that there was much difference between now and the part of the 90's that I remember.   My car is from the 90's.  I have a 1998 Camaro, which is sooooo cool, so the 90s are really part of the current times for me.  The overall image of the 90's seem to be very similar to now.  I don't think the way I dress was that different from how my older brother dressed in the 90s, maybe small differences, they wore their hats backwards then and I wear mine backwards/to the side now, and other small stupid differences, but the overall activities that were popular then are popular now.  The only thing that I can think of about the 90's is the lack of cell phones, text messaging, etc.  I use that stuff all the time, I can't imagime times without those, I text my girlfriend like every 5 minutes sometimes.  So for technology the 90's seems like old times.
-----Tyler

I hate to burst your bubble, but given you can only remember shades of the late '90s, you really can't recall the early and mid-90s well. Music actually still had substance, especially early-mid decade. Of course the Internet was only in select colleges/corporations and didn't become mainstream until 1995. Business cards/advertisements from the early '90s will look quite a bit different from the late '90s, when more detailed graphics and online contact information became he norm. The '90s were a very changable decade in terms of style, where you often have to go year-by-year to get a good view. Television was MUCH different in the '90s (quality cable programming, still some good network TV, less interactivity with the Internet/fewer infomercials/commercials that seemed more fun). Without video streams on the Internet, television was especially worth watching. TV also still had those memorable introductions with theme songs before greed in favor of advertising eliminated them in the early '00s. Closing credits (especially early-mid '90s) would be large and usually had a reprise of the theme song and often gave you that "it's over" feeling. Going to the movies was definately important as the VHS wouldn't come out for at least six months (sometimes a year), so it was a long wait to see that movie again.

Late '90s radio wasn't too much different from today (Clear Channel era), but early-mid 90s has many radio stations with wider playlists, stations that played '40s and '50s music, and fewer talk stations! Going to the shopping mall (especially early-mid 90s before online shopping took off) was definately still a social and entertaining experience. For most of the decade, you would simply phone your friends as the main way of getting no each other.

Graphic design was also quite a bit simpler (once again, especially the first half of the '90s). Less of these glorified graphics we see on TV and video displays these days and it actually shows substance, none of that animated junk that turns your mind off of the main point.

Most computer games were non-Internet based by way of either the floppy disc (early on) or CD, and really grew more sophisticated as the decade progressed.

But given you don't have to go far to see the latest along with that many people download music and increasingly movies and TV shows for free, the '90s definately made yourself THINK and LOOK FOR IT.

To have fully experienced the '90s, you shouldn't have been born any later than 1985 or so.

Written By: henfish on 10/05/09 at 6:36 pm

90´s are the biginning of  the changes of 2000´s years, a prove of this is Obama.

Written By: tv on 10/07/09 at 10:24 am

I hate to burst your bubble, but given you can only remember shades of the late '90s, you really can't recall the early and mid-90s well. Music actually still had substance, especially early-mid decade. Of course the Internet was only in select colleges/corporations and didn't become mainstream until 1995. Business cards/advertisements from the early '90s will look quite a bit different from the late '90s, when more detailed graphics and online contact information became he norm. The '90s were a very changable decade in terms of style, where you often have to go year-by-year to get a good view. Television was MUCH different in the '90s (quality cable programming, still some good network TV, less interactivity with the Internet/fewer infomercials/commercials that seemed more fun). Without video streams on the Internet, television was especially worth watching. TV also still had those memorable introductions with theme songs before greed in favor of advertising eliminated them in the early '00s. Closing credits (especially early-mid '90s) would be large and usually had a reprise of the theme song and often gave you that "it's over" feeling. Going to the movies was definately important as the VHS wouldn't come out for at least six months (sometimes a year), so it was a long wait to see that movie again.

Late '90s radio wasn't too much different from today (Clear Channel era), but early-mid 90s has many radio stations with wider playlists, stations that played '40s and '50s music, and fewer talk stations! Going to the shopping mall (especially early-mid 90s before online shopping took off) was definately still a social and entertaining experience. For most of the decade, you would simply phone your friends as the main way of getting no each other.

Graphic design was also quite a bit simpler (once again, especially the first half of the '90s). Less of these glorified graphics we see on TV and video displays these days and it actually shows substance, none of that animated junk that turns your mind off of the main point.

Most computer games were non-Internet based by way of either the floppy disc (early on) or CD, and really grew more sophisticated as the decade progressed.

But given you don't have to go far to see the latest along with that many people download music and increasingly movies and TV shows for free, the '90s definately made yourself THINK and LOOK FOR IT.

To have fully experienced the '90s, you shouldn't have been born any later than 1985 or so.
I remember informerials being really popular in 1992-1994 I think in the 90's on Saturday Mornings.

Written By: Throwback90s on 12/22/09 at 10:55 am

Yo Wassup! This is Throwback90s, When 2010 Start, I think we just going to reminisces about the 90s. everything the music, like R&B New Jack Swing Bell Biv DeVoe's Posion, Boyz II Men's Motownphilly, etc. TV shows like The Fresh Prince, Full House, Family Matters, A Different World, Beverly Hills 90210, even The old MTV/BET with videos, The Arsenio Hall Show. Movies Like House Party with Kid N' Play, The Mighty Ducks, White Men Can't Jump, Sister Act 1 & 2. just taking it back and relive those good times. Michael Jordan was the King of Basketball during the 90's with the Chicago Bulls.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/29/09 at 7:39 am

Ace of Base, my high school years, Boybands, Ricky Martin, David Duchovny in the X-Files, The Mighty Ducks, Emilio Estevez, Hanson, Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Playstation games, Sailor Moon, Sega Saturn games.

Written By: mialovesvinyl on 01/05/10 at 11:06 pm

I guess I'm still stuck in the 80's and 90's when it comes to music because I have no idea what's going on as far as the radio and "top 40" goes. I mostly listen to 80's hardcore punk and 90's alternative rock. As a matter of fact, I had been sitting here for the past two hours listening to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (smashing pumpkins album) when I got some serious 90's nostalgia and stumbled upon this site. I just had to join.

I don't know. I think it would be cool if the 90's came back as far as music is concerned. Then again I'm mostly into underground so I'm not disappointed with the music I'm listening to. However I do get some weird looks from people as a 22 year old who likes to collect vinyl records and and cd's (for some reason people my age and younger that I've talked to seem to think these things are "archaic and obsolete.") I get laughed at a lot lol, but who cares right?

Written By: 90sslapbracelet on 02/21/10 at 6:33 am

i still watch my beverly 90210 dvd's although it looks pretty dated now. For some reason i miss 99, mainly
because of the people i hung out with. i was also more laidback back then, now i get annoyed very
easily and i can't stand mtv anymore for obvious reasons. I was a teen in the late 90's so i listened to lots different type of stuff
like : n sync, bsb, britney, lenny kravitz, marilyn manson, korn ect. I never really looked back on the 90's
until a few years ago when i saw a few intro's to some 90's tv shows on youtube (like step by step, 90210, buffy, power rangers, twin peaks, blossom ect) and i've watched a bit of vh1 i love the 90's.
Thats when it hit me. We will never have a decade like the 90's again.

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/03/10 at 11:57 pm

The 90's for me really didn't start until 1991, when my sister died. I may have only been 2 at the time of her death, but some things just stay with you. My parents divorced in 1993 and well, I tried my best to listen to the music. I distinctively remember Haddaway from the first year my mom and I lived in our new apartment. The Goo Goo Dolls hit it big with "Name" around Christmas of 95. By the time 1996 rolled around, there was more Europop and dance music like La Bouche, No Mercy, etc By 1997, I was in the "now" music scene, and I tell you, I remember living it. Hanson, Marcy Playground, Semisonic, the New Radicals, and Baz Luhrman all came around this time period. I don't consider the end of the 90's to be 12/31/99, but more like 9:30 AM on 9/11/01. The year 2000 had just as many boy bands as 1999 did, and perhaps deep down inside, some of us liked them. I did like BB Mak and LFO, but never *NSYNC or 98 degrees. Lionel Ritchie made his little comeback in 2000 with Angel, even Peter Cetera, of Chicago had a song; called Perfect World. No, the 90's didn't end until 9/11/01.

Check for new replies or respond here...