inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Identifing Two items I had as a kid, one a toy,the other jewelry

Written By: 90's Girl on 03/13/09 at 9:21 pm

When I was younger I had the usuals..the pacifier, the plastic rings in bright colors but I tried looking online and on ebay for this one type of necklaces I had. When I was a kid, I had this plastic thick mermaid shaped pendant. The top was the mermaid picture and the rest was completely see-thru. Inside there was water and sparkles that you could shake up. Is there an official name to these? I really want to purchase one since I threw out the originals a long time ago. They kinda had a snow globe effect.

The other is something I used to get from machines or the dentist. It was a little round disc and these metal balls had to go into specific 3-4 holes cut into the image inside the plastic. You flipped it around every which way to get them in the holes.

Any info is appreciated :)

Subject: Re: Identifing Two items I had as a kid, one a toy,the other jewelry

Written By: karen on 03/16/09 at 8:51 am

the second toy you mention.  I don't know the proper name for them but they are the sort of thing you can buy to put in party bags.  Try somewhere like Party City (in the US) or some other shop that sells party goods (large branch of Tesco in the UK for example)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/09 at 9:08 am

the second toy you mention.....
...or in Christmas Crackers ?

Written By: karen on 03/16/09 at 11:13 am

...or in Christmas Crackers ?

They don't really 'do' Christmas Crackers in the US  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/09 at 12:49 pm

They don't really 'do' Christmas Crackers in the US  :-\\
I did not know that.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/16/09 at 1:01 pm

When I was younger I had the usuals..the pacifier, the plastic rings in bright colors but I tried looking online and on ebay for this one type of necklaces I had. When I was a kid, I had this plastic thick mermaid shaped pendant. The top was the mermaid picture and the rest was completely see-thru. Inside there was water and sparkles that you could shake up. Is there an official name to these? I really want to purchase one since I threw out the originals a long time ago. They kinda had a snow globe effect.

The other is something I used to get from machines or the dentist. It was a little round disc and these metal balls had to go into specific 3-4 holes cut into the image inside the plastic. You flipped it around every which way to get them in the holes.

Any info is appreciated :)

The toy you described is pretty common. I had a few of those puzzles as a kid.

Never heard of that jewelry but it sounds really neat!  :)

Written By: 90\'s Girl on 03/18/09 at 1:27 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Heh I must have gotten lucky with grab bags at parties as a kid considering I found the necklace I had been looking for in a basic form on party website.

http://www.pinatas.com/Floating_Glitter_Necklaces_p/glinec.htm?AID=805495&PID=2187177&SID=wpiPfdQAycX7mW2maEnUMy2MKLG3LfLG

Something tells me that's all I'd find but I will check out my local Party Fair for both items. I think I'd fall over if I ever managed to find the mermaid necklace ones again.

I tried every type of defination in google too but alot of people seem to make the ones with resin where everything's just frozen in place. I tried making a half replica of my own but I haven't worked out the wearable part yet.  :-\\

Thanks again everyone  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...