inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers VS Pokemon (Which show was more popular)

Written By: analogue on 03/24/09 at 6:23 pm

Both these shows were huge fads in the 90's but which one do you think was bigger?

Subject: Re: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers VS Pokemon (Which show was more popular)

Written By: woops on 03/25/09 at 12:19 pm

I was actually into "Power Rangers", though was already "old" (actually early teens) when "Pokemon" became popular...  :-X 8-P

Both were equal and even had shows that lasted after their popularity...

Subject: Re: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers VS Pokemon (Which show was more popular)

Written By: mikefromjersey on 03/25/09 at 2:48 pm

I may be kind of biased because I was like 2-5 when Power Rangers were huge (93-96) and 7-10 when Pokemon was (98-00), so I'm gonna say Pokemon. But still, even though MMPW had its things, Pokemon had the trading cards which were probably a lot bigger than the show as well as books and movies. I know PW had all of that too but I think remember Pokemon being bigger.

Written By: SuperDupper on 03/25/09 at 4:56 pm

agree with mike but i was a PW fan intill it started getting weird with new people

Written By: 80sfan on 03/26/09 at 9:20 am

You can't really be subjective in this question, can you? Because it's asking which one was more popular, not which one you liked more.  ;)

I picked Power Rangers because I forgot it was huge between 1993-1999. While Pokemon was something like 1999-2000. I'm not that knowledgeable about when those two shows dominated! I used to love Power Rangers and Pokemon!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/28/09 at 9:54 am

I picked Power Rangers.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/31/09 at 9:17 am

A tough call. Both triggered spin-off TV shows (VR Troopers, Digimon, etc). The Peak of "Power Rangers Mania" was 1995 with the movie before slowly declining in 1996 when it became Alien Rangers. Pokemon, on the other hand in 1999 was absolutely HUGE rivaling the Turtlemania of 1989-1991. Everybody wanted to tape EVERY EPISODE of the series, everybody wanted EVERY trading card and dozens of Charizards, and counterfeit merchandise was quite a concern. But a problem with Power Rangers is that it was aimed at a slightly older audience as its a non-animated show and has more realistic violence, whereas Pokemon was more properly censored in a couple shows and was safe even for 3-6 year olds to watch. I'd give the pick to 1999 Pokemon over 1995 Power Rangers. Pokemon still has some good residual popularity, with Spongebob its main competitor of its generation.

Check for new replies or respond here...