inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney, 1990-1997

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/28/09 at 5:52 pm

I miss the old Disney. I'm 18, and I remember almost every Disney movie which came out between 94 to present. It just seems like from the Little Mermaid (1989) to around Hercules ('97) Disney had a certain magic which has been sadly lost. Even some of their direct to video movies of the mid 90s were great, like Aladdin and the King of Thieves (96)

Subject: Re: Disney, 1990-1997

Written By: woops on 03/28/09 at 6:49 pm

"The Lion King" is perhaps the best film from the era, though I personally like "Dumbo"  8)

Obiviously not into the Disney princess movies.

Written By: nally on 03/30/09 at 9:28 am

Disney had some pretty good cartoon TV shows during that time, too...such as "TaleSpin", "Darkwing Duck", "Goof Troop", and "Aladdin", to name a few.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/09 at 12:15 pm

I hope they can capture that magic again pre-1999 years.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/30/09 at 2:24 pm

The Disney Channel (though it was still a Pay Channel) also was really wonderful during this period, showing classics like The Mickey Mouse Club, and also the original shows were pretty cool.

Written By: woops on 03/30/09 at 2:55 pm

"Mickey  Mouse Tracks"/"Donald Quack Attack"  8)

Also grew up with the Disney Afternoon, though not sure if they still stand the test of time...

"Timon & Pumbaa" was OK, though watched it recently on the now defunct Toon Disney (now Disney XD).

Written By: woops on 03/30/09 at 2:58 pm

How can I forget about "Under The Umbrella Tree", which also aired on the network

Written By: mm117 on 04/05/09 at 6:18 pm

Disney had some pretty good cartoon TV shows during that time, too...such as "TaleSpin", "Darkwing Duck", "Goof Troop", and "Aladdin", to name a few.

I used to love TaleSpin and Darkwing Duck! Those shows were all spinoffs from the movies that were popular around that time. Maybe it's because of computer animation, but it seems like they don't do a lot of spin-off shows with the characters anymore

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/14/09 at 4:30 pm

I grew up watching those Old Disney Shows. I think it's time that The Disney Channel makes a Vault Disney Channel for all the classic shows and whatnot.

And on/off that subject...we need to bring back our TV Stations that are on cable now. And here's how....

Nickelodeon SHOULD launch NickRewind for the Retro Junkies.
TVLand SHOULD return as TVLand and spin-off the TVLand Prime slot as their own station playing shows from the 80's and 90's.
Cartoon Network SHOULD return as Cartoon Network by having a Cartoon Cartoons Channel, Adult Swim Station, and Boomerang can return to its Retro stance while Cartoon Network returns to playing Cartoons.
MTV SHOULD create MTV3 and its nothing but videos.
Comedy Central SHOULD have best of both worlds with MST3K and Chappelle's Show playing right next to each other.
GSN SHOULD make a GSN2 Station for its older shows.

We must act fast, because I would like to show my nephews and nieces Donald Duck Cartoons rather than Spongebob Cartoons.

Written By: Chrisrj on 04/18/09 at 3:28 am

There is an MTV 3 now... but it's their Spanish cable station, turned to MTV Tr3s.  I think MTV Hits should be turned to MTV X and MTV can go back to playing videos and B&B.  That would solve a lot of their problems.

Anyway, BACK TO THE TOPIC, I thought Mulan was great, tho it was when they started going into the Pop Disney trend.. 98 Deg. and Christina Aguilera(before she slutted herself out) and even classic pop like Donny Osmond.  I think Pocahontas was the true downfall of Disney, with the controversy, and that I think the Animation Renaissance was becoming old-hat by the following year.  I've been getting really into Hunchback lately, though.  I think sometimes a movie becomes a real classic over time, and that Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of them.

Anyone remember Rescuers Down Under?  I remember going to see The Prince & the Pauper in theaters in 1990 by myself, which came before the movie.  My dad said to leave when Rescuers Down Under came on(probably because it was a sequel), but I felt weird so I stayed to watch both features.  Glad I did, cuz it was a fun flick.

I can't wait for Princess & the Frog though.  That might be a return to classic 87-94 Disney.

I also loved Darkwing Duck and Ducktales, but I didn't care much for Tale Spin at first.  And GARGOYLES!!!!!  I LOVED that show.  Sucks that Disney screwed them over.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/17/09 at 7:40 pm

I grew up watching those Old Disney Shows. I think it's time that The Disney Channel makes a Vault Disney Channel for all the classic shows and whatnot.

And on/off that subject...we need to bring back our TV Stations that are on cable now. And here's how....

TVLand SHOULD return as TVLand and spin-off the TVLand Prime slot as their own station playing shows from the 80's and 90's.
Cartoon Network SHOULD return as Cartoon Network by having a Cartoon Cartoons Channel, Adult Swim Station, and Boomerang can return to its Retro stance while Cartoon Network returns to playing Cartoons.
Comedy Central SHOULD have best of both worlds with MST3K and Chappelle's Show playing right next to each other.

The Weather Channel should be back to showing Weather in the sense of "tomorrow we will be seeing partly cloudy skies with a slight chance of T-storms", not Discovery Weather.
History Channel should be about History, not this stuff about the cosmos and the Bible Code and Ice Road Truckers.
TLC should not be the 8+ kid family documentary channel

We must act fast, because I would like to show my nephews and nieces Donald Duck Cartoons rather than Spongebob Cartoons.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/17/09 at 7:43 pm

Agreed.  Go on YouTube...you'll find em.

Check for new replies or respond here...