inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Ponytail & Other 90s Men hairstyles?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/28/09 at 7:04 pm

I've noticed that long hair tied into a ponytail was a popular look for the late 30s/mid 40s agegroup around 1990-1996. See films like Pulp Fiction, Wayne's World, Airheads, etc. What were some other popular men's hairstyles in the early-mid 90s?

Subject: Re: The Ponytail & Other 90s Men hairstyles?

Written By: 90steen on 03/29/09 at 11:58 am

comb over?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 12:21 pm

England Goalkeeper David Seaman can be to blame.....

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/844534/?type=display

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/29/09 at 6:48 pm

No....

It was this guy....

http://www.variety.com/graphics/photos/Stylephile_storypics/Seagal_Feature.jpg

;D

Written By: anabel on 03/29/09 at 10:43 pm

No....

It was this guy....

http://www.variety.com/graphics/photos/Stylephile_storypics/Seagal_Feature.jpg

;D

Wow-who ate Steven Segal???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/30/09 at 12:54 am

Good question....

;D

Written By: Midas on 04/01/09 at 2:27 pm

Here

Written By: Samwise on 04/15/09 at 8:28 am

For adolescent boys and college-aged guys, the bowl cut was HUGE. Especially grown about down to the ears, then parted in the middle. I think the look was a bit more clean-cut in the early 90's, then got longer and shaggier as the decade wore on. Which is strange, since the rest of 90's fashion went in the exact opposite direction.

On Easter Sunday, my grandmother was watching ETWN, and they were airing this concert that you could immediately tell was recorded in the early 90's, just from the haircuts. Every time the camera panned back to show all the choirboys, it was an endless sea of bowl cuts.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/16/10 at 10:19 pm

For adolescent boys and college-aged guys, the bowl cut was HUGE. Especially grown about down to the ears, then parted in the middle. I think the look was a bit more clean-cut in the early 90's, then got longer and shaggier as the decade wore on. Which is strange, since the rest of 90's fashion went in the exact opposite direction.

On Easter Sunday, my grandmother was watching ETWN, and they were airing this concert that you could immediately tell was recorded in the early 90's, just from the haircuts. Every time the camera panned back to show all the choirboys, it was an endless sea of bowl cuts.

I think the bowl cut was because of Kurt Cobain--Didn't he rock one at the '92 VMAs, which is when Nirvana hit mainstream?
Does anyone rememmber ponytails being big in the early-mid 90s?

Written By: joeman on 08/16/10 at 10:51 pm

I think the bowl cut was because of Kurt Cobain--Didn't he rock one at the '92 VMAs, which is when Nirvana hit mainstream?
Does anyone rememmber ponytails being big in the early-mid 90s?

The only people that I know where ponytails were hippies and neo-hippies.

I think gelling your hair was quite popular back in the mid 90s along with a bowl cut.  It seemed like almost everyone had a bowl cut.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/17/10 at 8:14 pm

The only people that I know where ponytails were hippies and neo-hippies.

I think gelling your hair was quite popular back in the mid 90s along with a bowl cut.  It seemed like almost everyone had a bowl cut.

The bowl-cut of the '90s was the Bieber cut of the '00s.  There was a short time in the late '90s-early '00s, during the boy band era, where a more clean cut look was popular.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/17/10 at 10:45 pm

Ha I remember quite a few kids that had bowl cuts when I was in elementary school.

Check for new replies or respond here...