inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PleasantVille

Written By: joeman on 04/10/09 at 10:13 pm

Has anyone ever seen this movie?  It's is about 90's teens going back to the 1950's and starting to adapt to their culture(really more like changing the culture).  Was very interesting movie, especially when comparing lives of the 1950's to the 1990's. 

Subject: Re: PleasantVille

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/09 at 10:20 pm

A good movie, but a bit predictable.  Don Knotts was great, as always.

"They're Whitey's cookies!"
;)

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/10/09 at 10:24 pm

Weirdest...movie...ever! :o

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/09 at 10:27 pm

It was a fantastic movie, and the last ever onscreen appearance of J.T. Walsh (who played the Mayor of Pleasantville), as he passed away before the film's release.  

Don Knotts was great in the film.  I loved how he'd just randomly pop up on TV screens to question why David (Maguire) was changing Pleasantville.  The best was when the tree caught fire, David ran to the firestation yelling "Fire" and the firefighters sat there looking confused.  Then when he yelled "cat in a tree", they all sprang into action ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/10/09 at 11:26 pm

This was definitely a great movie!

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 12:51 am

One of the better films of it's generation. Great use of B&W and Color to represent SIN.

Oh how things have changed since the 1950's (some for the better, some for the worse)

Written By: Brian06 on 04/11/09 at 3:04 am

Yeah I saw back when it was new, I believe I bought it on Pay Per View back in 99. I thought it was cool.

Written By: joeman on 04/11/09 at 5:46 am

One of the better films of it's generation. Great use of B&W and Color to represent SIN.

Oh how things have changed since the 1950's (some for the better, some for the worse)

Yeah, it could have been great back in the 50's to get away from eating a lot of meat :).

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/11/09 at 4:29 pm

I love that movie.  Such an awesome concept...the use of color and how the "colored" people became outcasts.  I especially loved the mom played by Joan Allen.  I thought that when the tree caught fire - and the events that led up to the tree catching fire - were the most powerful parts of the movie.  I'm gonna have to go watch it again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/11/09 at 4:52 pm

Yeah, I liked it too (saw it in the theatres). I should watch it again, some of the details are lost on me since I only saw it once. It was nice to see the townspeople slowly breaking free too and colorizing.

I think this was one of the last '50s nostalgia pieces too, before they got too old even for that. :(

Written By: mm117 on 04/12/09 at 10:47 am

I always liked the way they mixed all sorts of metaphors with the black and white versus in-color characters interacting. It's an interesting concept, even if we all knew where it was going the whole time. Also, I'm a huge William H. Macy fan.

Written By: snozberries on 05/22/09 at 3:20 am

I just got it on DVD at Best Buy for $4.99  8)

Written By: Gis on 05/22/09 at 3:37 am

Great film. I ought to watch it again too........

Written By: Samwise on 05/22/09 at 11:38 am

I LOVE that movie! This thread is making me want to get it on DVD.

Written By: Davester on 05/24/09 at 4:48 am

One of my first DVDs.  It's like an updated Animal Farm...

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/21/09 at 10:37 pm

Could someone do me a favor and point out a late-90's movie that William H. Macy wasn't in?  ::) And they say Jay Leno's the hardest-working man in showbiz!

I saw Pleasantville in the box office and will be forever thankful to its makers for introducing me to two of today's finest young stars,
Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon.

Of course, I truly hated the scenes where the anti-change pigheads were putting all the NO COLOREDS signs in the windows. One sight of them made me glad, once again, that I wasn't around for the 1950's! Had the film been anymore edgy(as opposed to high-concept), that time would have forever lost its false image as "the good ol'days"!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: 90steen on 09/22/09 at 9:49 pm

I was never crazy about Pleasantville. For some reason it was a little too serious for me. I went to see it in the theaters around the time I started college, and I expected it to be a little more on the funny side. There were some funny things but a lot of the movie was taken too seriously, IMO. I think i just expected it to be better because i thought it would be cool to see modern teenagers go back to the innocent world, and I was always a fan of Reese Witherspoon ever since I saw her in Fear.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/09 at 3:34 pm

I like that movie. I wish that the Nostalgia Critic would make a review about this film soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...