inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Senior Favorite Trends in 1996

Written By: 90steen on 04/15/09 at 2:07 pm

In my sophomore yearbook, which was 1995 - 1996, the seniors got to pick their favorite trends, and this is what they picked. I put in bold the trends that I was into.
Pig Tails
Banana Clips
Cutting the bottom of your jeans
Yo Yo's
Baggy Clothes & Big Bangs
Body Suits
Pants below the butt
Poofy hair
Tie Dyes
Vintage Clothes from the 60's and the 70's
French Cuffs
Dressing Nice
Side Burns
Jelly Slippers
Hacky Sacking
Tattoos
Flannels
Nike Air Shoes
Hawaiian Shirts
Fluff Chicks
and last but not least,
M.C. Hammer Pants

Which ones, if any of these did you sport back in the '90s? Or you can add any other trends that aren't on here.

Subject: Re: Senior Favorite Trends in 1996

Written By: Midas on 04/15/09 at 3:40 pm

In my sophomore yearbook, which was 1995 - 1996, the seniors got to pick their favorite trends, and this is what they picked. I put in bold the trends that I was into.

Baggy Clothes
Pants below the butt
Dressing Nice

So you either liked dressing nice or...like your clothes didn't fit properly?  ??? :D

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/09 at 3:53 pm

So you either liked dressing nice or...like your clothes didn't fit properly?  ??? :D

;D

That whole pants thing always threw me.  I mean if you're gonna wear your pants below your ass, then what's the point of even wearing pants? :D

Written By: 90steen on 04/15/09 at 5:32 pm

Depends on the mood I was in. Sometimes I'd dress nice sometimes I wouldn't. Just like my hair whether I'd use hair gel or mousse.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/09 at 6:07 pm

Pig Tails
Banana Clips
Cutting the bottom of your jeans
Yo Yo's
Baggy Clothes & Big Bangs
Body Suits
Pants below the butt
Poofy hair
Tie Dyes
Vintage Clothes from the 60's and the 70's
French Cuffs
Dressing Nice
Side Burns
Jelly Slippers
Hacky Sacking
Tattoos
Flannels
Nike Air Shoes
Hawaiian Shirts
Fluff Chicks
and last but not least,
M.C. Hammer Pants

Which ones, if any of these did you sport back in the '90s? Or you can add any other trends that aren't on here.

Yeah, I started high school in Spring 1996 (I moved from where I lived before midyear, long story) and I remember alot of those. I usually did stuff more mildly - for instance I had a few flannel and plaid shirts, but never had the full-blown grunge look or anything.

Written By: joeman on 04/15/09 at 10:47 pm

Yeah, I remember having Side Burns back in middle-school but that is because I was influenced by WWF wrestler The Rock.

Everyone I know had baggy pants.  Hell, my mom bought me baggy pants before I knew it was popular.  It was crazy.  I did wear flannel also, but I got some from my brother since he had a ton of them.  Lastly, it was fad to get Michael Jordan sneakers, especially ones with those crazy air bubbles.  I am not sure if kids today are pressured into getting good basketball shoes like I was back in middle-school.

Written By: 90steen on 04/16/09 at 7:02 pm

Me and my sister were crazy about our hair as well. She was more into scrunchies than banana clips. I swear if she didn't tie her hair up with it, she'd wear it around her wrist and it almost always either matched her shirt or her skirt. And every morning before school we spent 10 - 20 minutes in the bathroom to achieve the perfect wet look. She was also into the poofy hair look. We both had thick hair, and hers was naturally curly so it was automatically a little poofy.  We would either use mousse or hair gel (L.A. looks wet look. LOL. It's still around now) and I used a comb to comb it up, spray it with aquanet, blow dry it, and spray it again. While she did the same, instead of combing it she sort of, scrunched it. I can't believe we spent so much time grooming ourselves.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/16/09 at 7:36 pm

Looking back at trends during my senior year in high school (1995-1996) I remember three major clothing brands reigned supreme - Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and Calvin Klein. There were days when the hallways were a sea of Tommy Hilfiger jeans, shirts, hoodies, etc, etc.... Some of the retro 70s styles were present among some of my peers as well (mostly girls). I'll have to go through my yearbook for additional trends/styles.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/09 at 8:11 pm

Looking back at trends during my senior year in high school (1995-1996) I remember three major clothing brands reigned supreme - Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and Calvin Klein. There were days when the hallways were a sea of Tommy Hilfiger jeans, shirts, hoodies, etc, etc.... Some of the retro 70s styles were present among some of my peers as well (mostly girls). I'll have to go through my yearbook for additional trends/styles.

Oh yeah, I still have some Hilfiger stuff, I've seen some of those styles hanging around too, but not like it was back then. BUM Equipment, that's another thing that was huge in 1995ish.

Written By: 90steen on 04/16/09 at 9:58 pm

There was this thing going on in my school that year where it was considered lame to button up your flannel shirt for the guys. I guess it was supposed to be a sexy thing to leave your flannel shirt open showing off your under shirt or beater.

Written By: joeman on 04/17/09 at 8:36 am

Oh yeah, I still have some Hilfiger stuff, I've seen some of those styles hanging around too, but not like it was back then. BUM Equipment, that's another thing that was huge in 1995ish.

Yeah, I remember when Hilfiger was huge too.  Actually, what defined the preppie fad during that time was if you can have the most Hilfiger, Polo, Ralp Lauren, etc.. clothes of sorts.

I think those brands will come back in the next few years when the retro-90's kick in.

Written By: Kyle R on 04/24/09 at 7:16 pm

I was 19 in 1996. 
I always wore Tommy Hilfinger stuff, the jeans and t-shirts.  I also always wore a backwards baseball cap, always, even when going to dinner with my family.    Yea, I had low and baggy pants too...looking back I now say that was so stupid. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/30/09 at 11:01 am

I graduated in 1996 and at my school it was all about Hippie style.  Tye dye, Birkenstocks, broomstick skirts - stuff like that.  I was totally into it. 

There were preppy kids that wore Tommy Hilfiger and stuff like that too though. 

We wore flannels and MC Hammer Pants and stuff like that more in Middle School, but most of that was out of fashion by the time I got into high school. 

Written By: Midas on 04/30/09 at 11:18 am

I was 24 in '96 - Sporting Dr. Martens on my feet, and usually jeans and a plain-coloured T-shirt for me.  I'd wear a nicer shirt if I were going out (or a sport jacket over the T if it were cold out).

Check for new replies or respond here...