inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was I a dork for my music taste in the early-mid 90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/09 at 11:47 am

Alot of people my age and even older were listening to the cutting edge, harder stuff like gangsta rap and grunge... but I was more into pop, adult contemporary, some of the lite alternative rock and anything left over from the '80s (guys like Michael Jackson and Sting were still charting up to 1993).

People still dig Nirvana and Tupac to this day, but basically I was into all the stuff that doesn't hold up now. Like "The Sign". ;D

Subject: Re: Was I a dork for my music taste in the early-mid 90s?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/30/09 at 12:21 pm

Yes Jesse, you were a dork - own it!  The bigger question is who cares if you were?  I never understood the term guilty pleasure, especially as it is applied to music.  You like what you like regardless of who likes Tupac and that is what's cool  8)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/30/09 at 12:26 pm

Yes Jesse, you were a dork - own it!  The bigger question is who cares if you were?  I never understood the term guilty pleasure, especially as it is applied to music.  You like what you like regardless of who likes Tupac and that is what's cool  8)

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

WORD!  :)

Written By: woops on 04/30/09 at 12:58 pm

Also never understood the term "guilty pleasure".

Everybody has different tastes no matter how weird it may be (though I have one of the strangest since I'm very selective and some are frowned upon by most people).

Personally, I like the video for "California Love" and the song's OK, but never was into TuPac or gangsta rap in general with exceptions of a few songs. Nirvana's OK, though I was pretty much a small child when both were popular.

I like animation, though most people do since it varies from "Simpsons", "Family Guy", anime, Looney Tunes, Disney, superheroes. etc.

Written By: Midas on 04/30/09 at 1:04 pm

The bigger question is who cares if you were? 

Exactly.  I was all over the map of music in the early-mid 90's...CDs of Techno compilations, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Annie Lennox, Genesis, Public Enemy...I like what I like.  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/30/09 at 1:30 pm

What I listened to went mainly with what I listened to on the radio(since I didn't really have much CDs or tapes at the time):

Nirvana(the song Sappy was what I really liked at the time, which got alot of air play after Kurt's death)
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters
Alice In Chains
Husker Du
The Breeders
L7
Matthew Sweet
Black Market Flowers(their song Kenny and Cleo got some airplay for alittle while)
Sun Volt
Sponge

There were other things as well, just can't remember them at the moment.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/09 at 3:31 pm

;D

Thanks lol (even though I meant dork in more a kidding, self depricating way), I agree it's good to be an individual. :)

I guess "guilty pleasure" just means when somebody is embarrased to admit liking something around friends or certain people. Like if it deviates from what you usually might listen to.

Written By: snozberries on 04/30/09 at 3:55 pm

In the mid 80's I was listening to doo  wop, the everly brothers, rick nelson,elton john,  the beach boys and the beatles. Also Motown and elvis. I also listened to Madonna, new wave, and whatever else was popular (cept hair bands. I never really got into that. )

You listen to what you like.

As for guilty pleasures. Um I fully admitted to rockin' the TMNT Movie theme song "turtle power". There's nothing redeeming about that but it's a fun song dammit!!!

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/09 at 3:55 pm

You're a dork for using the word dork :P

It doesn't matter what others think of your musical taste.  As long as YOU like it, that's all that counts.  I was the same way.  I completely avoided gangsta rap and grunge because to me, that wasn't music

Written By: 80sfan on 04/30/09 at 3:57 pm

Alot of people my age and even older were listening to the cutting edge, harder stuff like gangsta rap and grunge... but I was more into pop, adult contemporary, some of the lite alternative rock and anything left over from the '80s (guys like Michael Jackson and Sting were still charting up to 1993).

People still dig Nirvana and Tupac to this day, but basically I was into all the stuff that doesn't hold up now. Like "The Sign". ;D
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sig.gif

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is close-mindedness. No, you're not a dork.

Written By: tv on 04/30/09 at 4:27 pm

I don;t think it was corny to Sting's music or Michael Jackson in the 90's. I think if you listened Michael Bolton(I know you did) that would be considered corny back then.

I never listened to Gangsta Rap either when it was popular, grunge/alternative yes but not gangsta rap. I never even noticed rap music until Puff Daddy made it big in 1997. I listen too Tupac now because he actually had some meaningful songs that he did back in the day even if I didn;t hear them when they fresh or new.

Stuff like "Roll To Me" by Del Amitri, Kiss From A Rose by Seal,  "Wonderful" by Adam Ant or "Name" by the Goo Goo Dolls was the soft music that I listened to back then. I remember dance groups like "Corona" or "Real McCoy" from the mid 90's too.

Somebody said something about Matthew Sweet on this thread. I remember his hit "Sick Of Myself".

I was into the 80's like first half of this decade but I don't think it would be corny too like 80's music in the 00's because of 80's noglastia in the 00's.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/30/09 at 7:23 pm

No, I don't think you're a dork at all. :)  :)

My tastes were extremely varied throughout the 90s....AC, pop, grunge, alt-rock, Latin pop, R&B, etc....  :)

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/09 at 9:08 pm

I completely avoided gangsta rap and grunge because to me, that wasn't music

Agreed - I made it a point to NOT listen to that stuff.  ;D

And guilty pleasures is just a fun terminology. I don't think it's meant to literally mean you're embarrassed.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/01/09 at 10:53 pm

Yes, you were a dork for liking that stuff.  So what?  In 10 years, so will the people who dug Nirvana and Tupac.

Back in the 80s, the guys who listened to Poison called me a dork for listening to Kraftwerk.  Today I'm cool for listening to Kraftwerk, and a dork for having also enjoyed Poison.

(It's a bit of a stretch to put "Computer World" and "I Want Action" in the same playlist, but you've just given me something to do the next time I set up a mix CD.)

Obligatory Guilty Pleasure:  KISS, doing a disco cover of I Was Made For Lovin' You.  Even Gene Simmons has a little bit of dorky in his musical history.

Obligatory Dorky Pleasure That Was Always Dorky And Still Is Dorky:  I still think SPOCK was awesome.  As the Waitresses would put it: "No guilt."

Written By: woops on 05/02/09 at 12:54 pm

Back in the 80s, the guys who listened to Poison called me a dork for listening to Kraftwerk.  Today I'm cool for listening to Kraftwerk, and a dork for having also enjoyed Poison.

Like the saying, what's "hip" now would be "passe" later.

Written By: joeman on 05/02/09 at 10:25 pm

I listened to Tupac and Nirvana back then too, but my older brother was into it and was a teen at the time.  I remember where everyone my age and my brothers age hating the 80's by the early-mid 90's.  Now I don't think it hated as much in our demograph since 80's is the cool thing now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/03/09 at 12:36 pm

I listened to Tupac and Nirvana back then too, but my older brother was into it and was a teen at the time.  I remember where everyone my age and my brothers age hating the 80's by the early-mid 90's.  Now I don't think it hated as much in our demograph since 80's is the cool thing now.

Yeah, I think by about 1994 alot of people who liked it earlier ditched it or only listened in secret, lol.

I was probably one of the few kids who openly liked the 80s, although I dug the new stuff too.

Oddly Elementary schoolers seem less likely to care. I bet it was more teens who wouldn't have been caught dead listening to, say Bon Jovi. Some younger kids my age at school I can remember liking some of those songs actually.

Written By: woops on 05/03/09 at 12:53 pm

Unlike most  teens, most kids don't care if the film, music, etc. is old is not.

Written By: 90steen on 05/03/09 at 6:56 pm

I do remember the '80s being lame in the '90s. I'm glad the '90s aren't lame in the 2000's!

Written By: robby76 on 05/03/09 at 9:13 pm

I do remember the '80s being lame in the '90s. I'm glad the '90s aren't lame in the 2000's!

;D I wouldn't be so sure.

Written By: joeman on 05/04/09 at 10:13 am

I wouldn't say the 80's were totally hated in the 90's, since old-school rap was respected, at least in my neighborhood.  Some parts of the 90's are rejected in the 00's, like anything in the late 90's-early 00's era.

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/09 at 2:12 am

Interrupting this thread to say.....

I FREAKIN' LOVE YOUR AVATAR PIC!!!!!!!!

okay.....carry on!  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/06/09 at 7:54 pm

Ahh... TLC. ^

Written By: 90steen on 05/06/09 at 8:11 pm

Interrupting this thread to say.....

I FREAKIN' LOVE YOUR AVATAR PIC!!!!!!!!

okay.....carry on!  ;D

I wouldn't exactly call you a dork, because back then music of youth was more open and kids could listen to whatever they wanted without being judged by it. At least to some extent. Music was way more mature back then, although it wasn't greatly mature. I was into every type of music. Grunge, gangsta rap, eurodance, R&B, trance, and there were some 80's I liked. You could catch me listening to artists I really liked as a young kid like Exposé, The Jets, T'Pau, Bruce Hornsby & The Range, a-Ha, Toto, U2, Whitney Houston, The Police, Cyndi Lauper, Cutting Crew, and Bryan Adams.

Check for new replies or respond here...