inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What styles of eyeglasses were fashionable in the 90's?

Written By: Samwise on 05/24/09 at 12:58 pm

In those Ricki Lake episodes linked to in the other thread, there were two different people wearing these ginormous round Harry Potter glasses. So now I'm wondering: was that an actual fad in the mid-nineties? What styles of glasses were popular in the decade? (And please include pics!)

Subject: Re: What styles of eyeglasses were fashionable in the 90's?

Written By: 90steen on 05/24/09 at 4:36 pm

Interesting topic  :)

Didn't they bring cat eyes back at some point in the 90's?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj257/bewp/cat_eye_glasses.jpg

Written By: Samwise on 05/25/09 at 11:26 pm

Yeah! Didn't Lisa Loeb bring those back?

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/26/09 at 7:40 pm

I loved the ones Lisa Loeb wore when she debuted.  I thought those were really cool!

I had a pair of black sunglasses that looked like those.....I might still have them somewhere.  :)

Written By: JayMBee on 07/21/09 at 2:35 pm

In those Ricki Lake episodes linked to in the other thread, there were two different people wearing these ginormous round Harry Potter glasses. So now I'm wondering: was that an actual fad in the mid-nineties? What styles of glasses were popular in the decade? (And please include pics!)

You might be talking about the Ben Franklins?!? They came out in the late 80s and lasted until probably the late 90s. If you ever watched "A Different World", Dwayne Wayne used to were them all the time lol! He had the ones that flipped up and became reading glasses lol!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/21/09 at 7:01 pm

I don't know much about eyeglasses, but I know I got my first air of reading glasses when I was in third grade (1994) and I got red plastic rims like Kellie Martin wore in Life Goes On.

Written By: 90steen on 07/23/09 at 8:07 pm

I noticed when I have some time on my hands I look at my old high school yearbooks and a lot of the people had big glasses that would probably be classified as nerdy in today's world.

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:23 pm

What sticks out to me about the 1990s in glasses, is the gradual change from the thick glasses of the 20th century to transitions and light pairs. It really happened gradually through the entire decade.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/10/15 at 8:53 am

I don't know much about eyeglasses, but I know I got my first air of reading glasses when I was in third grade (1994) and I got red plastic rims like Kellie Martin wore in Life Goes On.

I was literally about to comment about my Kellie Martin frames when I saw this post! Haha!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fd/e5/2e/fde52e6cd63bc57acbba9bf7f09f41d1.jpg
ALOT of little girls at John Jay French Elementary (Go Foxes!) had this style of frame in different colors. Even some of the teachers wore the wide frames like that. I actually just finished a story where a girl wears a clear version of this frame, but she's a hipster so it's "ironic".

Written By: Howard on 11/10/15 at 2:37 pm

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-GJ285_glasse_P_20150109164208.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/12/15 at 11:08 pm

A lot of older people (including my grandfather) still wore those huge "George H. W. Bush" style glasses in the early-to-mid '90s.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/ktrk/cms_exf_2007/news/national_world/AP9101230192.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/12/15 at 11:34 pm

I'm slowly being dragged through time kicking and screaming.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/15 at 8:56 am

Weren't they wearing a lot more hipster style glasses?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/13/15 at 9:01 am

Yesterday while I was leaving dialysis I noticed one of the nurses wearing cat-eye glasses with the rhinestones. I thought they were cool, if I ever decided to actually wear the glasses I need again.  :D

Written By: violet_shy on 11/15/15 at 4:59 pm

Yes, around 1994. I remember it well.

Written By: Katluver on 11/15/15 at 8:01 pm

I was literally about to comment about my Kellie Martin frames when I saw this post! Haha!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fd/e5/2e/fde52e6cd63bc57acbba9bf7f09f41d1.jpg
ALOT of little girls at John Jay French Elementary (Go Foxes!) had this style of frame in different colors. Even some of the teachers wore the wide frames like that. I actually just finished a story where a girl wears a clear version of this frame, but she's a hipster so it's "ironic".

*shudder* I had a pair similar to those, and they were huge on me.  I remember a few kids would laugh at them.  Even a couple of my friends admitted that they were too big for me.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/19/16 at 6:24 pm

In the 80's the eyeglasses were huge and covered a gigantic area of the face.  In the 90's eyeglasses became smaller.  In the early to mid 90's what was in style was basically smaller versions of 80's glasses like aviators and more rectangular frames, but not like the near perfect rectangles of today.  In the mid 90's the round frames (perfect circle) were in, but the frames were not huge.  There was a bit of a retro fad too (60's style frames).  From what I remember eyeglass frames started to become lighter in the 90's  when they started experimenting with lighter materials like titanium. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 6:29 pm

Never knew that eyeglasses were fashionable to people. I thought they were used to have some people see clearly. No offense really, but maybe it might have to deal with me not being interested into fashion.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/19/16 at 7:00 pm

Never knew that eyeglasses were fashionable to people. I thought they were used to have some people see clearly. No offense really, but maybe it might have to deal with me not being interested into fashion.

True they are used to help people see clearly, but they had and have enough variety of frames where you don't have to get just any pair or the first pair you see.  You can if you want, but different strokes for different folks. 

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/20/16 at 5:57 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/33/e7/6b/33e76ba45646a0188d9ca9ebfefdddf6.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...