inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hair products - more popular in the 90's?

Written By: 90steen on 05/24/09 at 4:48 pm

I was in the store looking at hair products recently, and I wanted to get some mousse for my sister's wedding this June. I was looking around and only saw about 2 cans. I also noticed young people don't seem to be using stuff like gel, mousse, or even hairspray anymore like they used to. It looks like young girls just get about of bed and flat iron their hair and go to school or wherever. I remember in the 90's everyone was using mousse, gel, hairspray, etc... The wet look was popular as well as the curly look, and then the spiky look, all these styles. Hairspray was popular, in highschool I remember some of my classmates brushing their hair and spraying it in class, which made teachers mad. It wasn't really all that cool to have your hair just hang there with nothing in it, for neither guys or gals. Not everybody used hair products but a good majority of people did. Seems like the look of straight down hair is what's in now. I haven't seen much use of hair product since 2002.

Does anybody else notice a decline in this?

Subject: Re: Hair products - more popular in the 90's?

Written By: Samwise on 05/25/09 at 11:25 pm

Definitely. Actually, I was watching a teen movie on TV a while ago that was filmed in the early-to-mid-90's and it struck me how stereotypically 90's the love interest's hair looked. She didn't have giant bangs or anything. She just had a basic bob that went down to a little below her ears. So I was thinking, "Why does that look so out of date? It's such a simple haircut." Then it struck me: not a single hair was out of place. It was so perfectly coiffed and smooth. These days, a little messiness is to be expected. I see way fewer people with obvious product than I remember growing up. I remember when a guy looked cool if his hair was spiked up with so much gel that it literally looked wet and shiny. Now that same guy just looks like a sleazy used car salesman to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/01/09 at 2:12 pm

I agree too. People still style it to an extent, but it doesn't seem like they care as much. One thing that makes a time seem dated right away are its hairstyles, maybe that's why this era isn't as trendy with fashion. Even with me, like I used to bleach it blonde around 1999-2001, and that would look pretty standout now (especially since the boybands had them! ;D). One I also remember guys had back then was where it's buzzed on the bottom and a bowl cut on top.

Hair was really diverse in the 90s too (especially early on when you still had a little of the 80s influence left over), everything from Sinead OConnor type buzzcuts/shaved heads, to really long rocker hair on guys. Everything inbetween too. You don't really see either extreme anymore. There's some stuff like mohawks, but that's pretty timeless it seems.

Written By: 90steen on 06/01/09 at 5:57 pm

I agree too. People still style it to an extent, but it doesn't seem like they care as much. One thing that makes a time seem dated right away are its hairstyles, maybe that's why this era isn't as trendy with fashion. Even with me, like I used to bleach it blonde around 1999-2001, and that would look pretty standout now (especially since the boybands had them! ;D). One I also remember guys had back then was where it's buzzed on the bottom and a bowl cut on top.

Hair was really diverse in the 90s too (especially early on when you still had a little of the 80s influence left over), everything from Sinead OConnor type buzzcuts/shaved heads, to really long rocker hair on guys. Everything inbetween too. You don't really see either extreme anymore. There's some stuff like mohawks, but that's pretty timeless it seems.

Maybe it's just increase of laziness or if it's just the change of fashion? In the 70's natural hair was a pretty in thing. 80's and 90's, and early 2000's had hair products overload. I guess because in the 80's it was a new thing, and now it's an old thing?

Written By: Gis on 06/02/09 at 6:29 am

I would say in the U.K it hasn't changed. people are still using products on their hair it's just those products have evolved which is why you don't see moose that much anymore there are other products that are better and less sticky!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/09 at 9:13 am

there are still quite a lot of products out there, but looking around at the hairstyles of today, it doesn't appear that they are used in such a hardcore way, as the '80s and '90s. I remember when I was in middle school....you were not cool unless you used almost an entire bottle of Aqua Net on your teased bangs. LOL! The products nowadays are almost "classier" I suppose. For instance, I use a product called, "Big Sexy Hair".....but you can't tell that I even have any of it in my hair by the time I dry it. Less is best, I suppose.

Written By: Midas on 06/03/09 at 9:41 am

People had more hair in the 90's :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/04/09 at 1:01 am

Maybe it's just increase of laziness or if it's just the change of fashion? In the 70's natural hair was a pretty in thing. 80's and 90's, and early 2000's had hair products overload. I guess because in the 80's it was a new thing, and now it's an old thing?

Yeah I think probably people are just so used to it that it isn't as big of a deal anymore. Fashion seems to be all over the place now, without a one defining style. There's no over the top stuff like mullets anymore either, lol.

Written By: tv on 06/04/09 at 12:01 pm

Whatever happened to the long rocker hair on guys? It was fashionable like the grunge artists they had long hair and Michael Bolton. I noticed in 1995-1996(my sophmore year) a couple of guys in High School who had long hair shaved totally their head or had their hair long on top but shaved in the back. I guess long hair just went out of fashion.

Written By: 90steen on 06/12/09 at 10:56 pm

Whatever happened to the long rocker hair on guys? It was fashionable like the grunge artists they had long hair and Michael Bolton. I noticed in 1995-1996(my sophmore year) a couple of guys in High School who had long hair shaved totally their head or had their hair long on top but shaved in the back. I guess long hair just went out of fashion.

I was a sophomore in 95/96 too and long hair was kind of half in and half out. I never had long hair, but my best friend had the hair parted to the side thing going on. The Leo DiCaprio haircut? And during that year, that was a big hairstyle. It was actually pretty big in all of my highschool years now that I think of it. Late '94 - Mid '98.

Written By: aja675 on 03/26/21 at 10:10 pm

Bump because I get this ad a lot on FB. I can't believe some people still have hair like this.  ;D

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/520926523939749900/813576786977882142/Screenshot_2021-02-22-13-58-21-31.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/27/21 at 7:28 am

I think they were more popular In The 1980's with Aqua Net hair spray.
http://www.80sfashion.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Aqua-Net.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/21 at 9:13 am

I was in the store looking at hair products recently, and I wanted to get some mousse for my sister's wedding this June. I was looking around and only saw about 2 cans. I also noticed young people don't seem to be using stuff like gel, mousse, or even hairspray anymore like they used to. It looks like young girls just get about of bed and flat iron their hair and go to school or wherever. I remember in the 90's everyone was using mousse, gel, hairspray, etc... The wet look was popular as well as the curly look, and then the spiky look, all these styles. Hairspray was popular, in highschool I remember some of my classmates brushing their hair and spraying it in class, which made teachers mad. It wasn't really all that cool to have your hair just hang there with nothing in it, for neither guys or gals. Not everybody used hair products but a good majority of people did. Seems like the look of straight down hair is what's in now. I haven't seen much use of hair product since 2002.

Does anybody else notice a decline in this?

In the 90s, I used everything on my hair! Hairspray, curling gel, styling spritz...

I notice it too. I think it's the because the hairstyles in the 90s required more using the products. I don't know if you wore the wavy bangs in the early 90s but I did. That alone required half a bottle of hairspray!

I remember using styling gel to curl my hair. It was LA Looks. It had a nice scent to it.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/21 at 2:08 pm

In the 90s, I used everything on my hair! Hairspray, curling gel, styling spritz...

I notice it too. I think it's the because the hairstyles in the 90s required more using the products. I don't know if you wore the wavy bangs in the early 90s but I did. That alone required half a bottle of hairspray!

I remember using styling gel to curl my hair. It was LA Looks. It had a nice scent to it.

These days I don't really use gel for my hair, I use mousse, what do you use Jess?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/21 at 2:49 pm

These days I don't really use gel for my hair, I use mousse, what do you use Jess?

These days I don't use anything. Sometimes I use hairspray but not as often.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/21 at 7:29 am

These days I don't use anything. Sometimes I use hairspray but not as often.

I sometimes use a bit too much hairspray, my styled hair feels like a brick, perhaps I use a bit too much of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...